Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36 hp Flywheel Gasket
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiwi1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: 36 hp Flywheel Gasket Reply with quote

Hello
Have spent the evening attempting to set the endplay on a 36 hp I am rebuilding.I have noticed that there appears to be quite a variation in the thickness of the gasket paper of the gasket between the flywheel and crank depending on who the manafacter is. The gasket I took off the crank when I pulled the motor down was 0.16mm thickness and measuring the ones out of another couple of new gasket sets they are 0.26 mm and 0.30 mm. The thickness of these gaskets makes quite a difference to the size shims I will have to track down. I sure on a 36hp I did last year the new gasket was also a lot thinner than the two I have now.
I am tempted to cut a thinner gasket out of 0.16 mm paper then the shims I have at the moment would get the endplay right (0.7-.012).
What do you guys think? Confused
Ta Ross
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the math works for your shims, you could use two shims instead of three, and use gasket sealer instead of the paper gasket. People will debate about using anything other than three, but I have read that the Porsche 356 used only one shim, so I don't think it would be a problem.

By the way, where are you buying flywheel gaskets? I've only been able to find them in engine gasket sets so far.
Kiwi1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I too have not found a supplier of the gaskets only. Has anybody come across a supplier and noticed a varience in the thickness of these gaskets
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fatvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to buy the whole 36hp gasket set, just to get that flywheel gasket. I looked everywhere. Even had my friends in Germany looking. But no luck of anyone just selling the gasket.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: