Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fram/Porsche Bypass oil filter line install questions
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CLASSIC CAR GUY
Transport and Title Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Fram/Porsche Bypass oil filter line install questions Reply with quote

Im in the process of building and putting a 1385cc in my 64' sedan, going with a dual carb set up as well, fabbing up intakes now, going with a pair of 28 pict, and looking to have a nice 60's early look under the lid and wanted to add the fram porsche style bypass filter. Now the question is the inlet to the filter comes off the oil sender, where the the exit or return go back in the engine?, and at what location, Can genni stand be tapped and put return there?, thank in advance for any info Cool
61' Type 1
62' Type 1
64' Type 1
66' Type 1
66' Vert'
67' Type 1

"every one wants to reinvent the wheel, but nobody knows how to make it round"

Vintage Volkswagen Sales and Service as well as Classics and Muslcecars all located here in Phoenix Arizona at www.rpmotorcars.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WesleyGarrard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is how I did my 40hp
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It is a Mann filter but basically the same as the fram. I used a Porsche mounting bracket that uses one of the coil bolts and I used a pop rivet to secure it to the shroud in the other location. I drained it back to the case by tapping the fuel pump block off plate. However, I have an electric fuel pump. They make a bolt for the distributor hold down that is a hollow bolt with a flare fitting on it to use as a drain back. But I think tapping the gen stand would work as well, you will just need longer hose maybe.
CLASSIC CAR GUY
Transport and Title Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WesleyGarrard wrote:
Here is how I did my 40hp
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It is a Mann filter but basically the same as the fram. I used a Porsche mounting bracket that uses one of the coil bolts and I used a pop rivet to secure it to the shroud in the other location. I drained it back to the case by tapping the fuel pump block off plate. However, I have an electric fuel pump. They make a bolt for the distributor hold down that is a hollow bolt with a flare fitting on it to use as a drain back. But I think tapping the gen stand would work as well, you will just need longer hose maybe.

I like the look of the copper line as well, do you know who may carry the hollow dist bolt for the return?? also what carbs are you running, and did you make your own 40hp sp intake manifolds? and any other engine pics thanks Cool
61' Type 1
62' Type 1
64' Type 1
66' Type 1
66' Vert'
67' Type 1

"every one wants to reinvent the wheel, but nobody knows how to make it round"

Vintage Volkswagen Sales and Service as well as Classics and Muslcecars all located here in Phoenix Arizona at www.rpmotorcars.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WesleyGarrard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my specs on the last post on one of the 40hp performance threads.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=123839&start=80

I was looking for a place that sells the bolt when I replied to you but could not find anything.
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like to know a place where I could get the various fittings. I have a NOS fram with the bracket, box and instructions, but I don't have the fittings... It would also probably be good to have some sort of list of fittings (even just a picture of them all laid out would help tremendously).

-'58 German Market Deluxe Beetle (in progress)
-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
"Buy the best, cry once." -Gene Berg
"A cheap man will always buy the cheapest thing available, and then buys another one hoping for a better result, and then spends the rest of his life in misery complaining about it. A thrifty man will buy a good part once and never think about it again." -RockCrusher
"Don't feed the Shitty Parts Monster!" -Me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on guys this has been discussed here so often, just typing "Fram and oil lines" into "Vintage Speed" returns this topic top of the list: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=407674

You can add further questions to that topic.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: