Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ratio rocker options
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Ratio rocker options Reply with quote

Hello-

What are my options with regard to ratio rockers on a 36HP type head? I've seen wanted adds for vintage 1.1 rockers, but I suspect they're very scarce. I've seen other people use Porsche rockers, but they seem to require a lot of head modification. Is anyone out there working on repro rockers?

Thanks,

Paul

Richard Feynman
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some ideas and dreams of fitting T1 rockers and modified shafts, but again, lots of head modification and machine work.

The blackline57.com guys (working out or Art Thraen's shop in Salt Lake City) came up with a way to modify stock VW 36hp rockers to increase their ratio to 1.4:1. It is pretty cleaver, if you haven't already, you should check out their site, they sort of drop britches and show it all thru pictures and text on that record setting 36hp engine build.
grueni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is one problem...the pushrods are fixed into the lifters and the rocker shaft is fixed because of the half cirle chamber.
1,1:1 rockers will not work without modify one of these two.
for 1,4:1 you should build own rockers because t1 rockers have a different angle and are shorter at all and out of stock ones is same work than build new ones..blackline guys, mine and bvilletoms design are all about 1,3:1

if people wish a bolt on rocker system somebody should produce bville toms design...but this will be very expensive at the end. porsche 356 rockers are rare and expensive and the shaft relocated and welded is also not cheap to realise. here in germany a new "single" rocker 1,3:1 is nearly 400 dollar. so this will not be a kit that is easy to sell.
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello-

While we're waiting on all those industrious individuals to build bolt on ratio rockers...I was wondering if it would be possible to get the same flow results by way of skilled head porting?

Thanks,

Paul

Richard Feynman
grueni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the same? mostly more. valvelift is to get the hole potential out of the head flow...but look at this map that i did once with b-ville toms and dougs flow charts.(dougs are a little optimistic..specially the exhaust in my eyes but it was made on another bench and with less messurements)

the most 36er do not need ratio rockers. up to 1,25:1 with stock okrasas is ok but in my eyes just good ported heads need ratio rockers.

they are all converted to 25" in fact of in our aircooled 4 cylinders the numbers are allso very close the the possible n/a HP aut of those heads.

the exhaust of them flow very good. specially the stock single ports are strongly limited in the intake part of the head.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

how you can see most of them make a crease arround 0.25 this is the best for stock cam lift. all this heads are dine for small valve lift.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: