Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

356 oil cooler
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello-

If you're interested in 356 oil coolers, you may want to follow this thread: http://porsche356registry.org/356talk/1/24802.html?p=112130#p112130

Tom is testing several oil coolers, and hopefully, will be posting the results on a month or so. I believe he'll be testing a stock VW cooler, an aluminum cooler from NLA Parts, an aluminum cooler from CSP, and a stock late model Porsche cooler.

Here's some sales data from the people who market their cooler through CSP.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks,

Paul

Richard Feynman
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just thinking out loud on this one, I have literally zero experience in mechanical engineering, metallurgy or any of the sciences needed to design engine components, so don't take this as any kind of authoritative challenge to what's been posted already.

I read the CSP blurb about heavy oil coolers cracking cases; maybe that's a problem with Porsche, but I've never heard about it being a problem with VW. Perhaps with an off-road motor it might be an issue but I can't imagine a steel vs. aluminum oil cooler filled with oil would be significantly different in their case cracking abilities. Is this really a problem?

And that chart looks nice and all, but consider the source, they are trying to sell a $529 oil cooler which I am sure works just fine, but without seeing their testing method used by an independent source, I would be hesitant to use that data to choose something other than a stock oil cooler. And they're testing it for 356 motors with 356 fan shrouds, right?

CSP also talks about the best airflow possible, better than stock. It looks like they are using a six row aluminum design with fins between the tubes to increase the surface area. VW in-shroud oil coolers have eight rows by four rows of steel tubes with no extra fins. I can see how CSP design might give you less oil pressure drop with similar or better airflow and heat rejection, but when VW changed to this type of 'radiator' design, they also redesigned the fan shroud and made it an out-house. I wonder how installing this type of oil cooler into a 36hp fan shroud will change the airflow characteristics. Have you read discussion on the other forums about DTM fan shrouds and reproducing Thing fan shrouds, and internal deflector designs and people trying to improve or even equal the factory design to fan shrouds? Highly speculative to say the least, and again where is the independent testing?

Paul, thanks for the link to the 356 site, I knew it was out there but until now I never had any inspiration to really read through it and learn something relevant to my Bug.
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello-

Keep in mind that the late model 356 cooler was a real beast; I think it weighed over 2 lbs.

As for the whole issue of independent testing, Tom Perazzo is testing some coolers, and I hope to see his results in the next month or so. Will Mittelbach sent me a spreadsheet with some data he he collected. If I'm reading it correctly, it confirms he sales data from the cooler maker.

I'm interested in the CSP cooler because they make reference to better air flow to cylinders 3 and 4. They way I drive, I don't think I'll ever have problems with oil temps, but it would be nice if I could find an oil cooler (on eBay Wink ) that would even out my head temps.

Paul

Richard Feynman
Louis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use a oil cooler typer berh on my last Okrasa and i had to bang the thin in the shroud to make it fit.
was easy and worked well.
some people say they its not good to use them because you should have some flow on the top of the filter but when you look at a picture of a stock one. they are pretty snug.

they worked well and cooled well.

cheers!

Louis
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thomas Pedigo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can a 2lb+ oil cooler crack a case? I cannot even wrap my brain around that logic.
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if the cooler does touch the shroud the vibration would be transmitted to the oil cooler mounting areas. Vibration will fatigue the mounts quickly.

Does the 356 cooler hit the shroud on any of the applications?
Wolfgang1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

please note, if you decline oil temperatures with a better internal oil cooler, you raise head/cylinder temperatures for 3rd and 4th cylinder....

Wolfgang
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cosmoschmogul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfgang1 wrote:
Hi,

please note, if you decline oil temperatures with a better internal oil cooler, you raise head/cylinder temperatures for 3rd and 4th cylinder....

Wolfgang

Hi,
Why ?
Best Regards
S.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cosmoschmogul wrote:
Wolfgang1 wrote:
Hi,

Wolfgang

Hi,
Why ?
Best Regards
S.

because, assuming it isn't a dog house shroud, the airflow carrying the heat extracted from the oil cooler then passes over cylinders 3 and 4. so if the oil cooler is more efficient then more heat will be exchanged to the airflow.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Cosmoschmogul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finster wrote:
because, assuming it isn't a dog house shroud, the airflow carrying the heat extracted from the oil cooler then passes over cylinders 3 and 4. so if the oil cooler is more efficient then more heat will be exchanged to the airflow.

Thank you for the quick reply.
Yes, put like that, it makes sense.

So to avoid this, we could increase the air flow.

With 16 or 8 blade cooling fan?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: