Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 westy 1800
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: 74 westy 1800 Reply with quote

1st time bus owner, bus fires up as soon as i turn the key when cold, as soon as its warm, i must hold the pedal to the floor and crank for about 10 seconds, then it fires, ive set the valves, checked the timing, but it still backfires while it runs, and it wont idle on its own, PLEASE HELP!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
teuton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: 74 westy 1800 Reply with quote

I have the same type of Bus. What distributor and carburetors are you running?
Juancho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 10:21 am    Post subject: 74 westy 1800 Reply with quote

I had the same setup in my '72 bus. It is more than likely a vacuum leak. Tale tale signs of a vacuum leak are; poor performance especially after the engine heats up, motor will not idle and dies, or will only idle at high RPM, and no amount of adjusting the carbs helps.
My bus had the same problem. Try replacing the intake manifold gaskets and the carb gaskets, where the carb connects to the intake. Then give your bus a fresh tuneup, starting with a valve adjustment, then set dwell, timing and then finally, adjust your carbs.
Also, since you have to remove your carbs in order to replace the gasket on the intake pedestal, now would be a good time to give them a good cleaning. Maybe even a rebuild.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: 74 westy 1800 Reply with quote

Before you dive in too deep. The brake booster has a pipe that runs low across the front tin from left to right side. It ends with two little rubber elbows that attach to the intake manifold runners for #3 and #1. These elbows enjoy cracking and causing godawful vacuum leaks. Pull them off, glob them good with Permatex black silicone, let cure, reinstall and be ever on your guard for vacuum leaks.
Vacuum leaks kill exhaust valves and seats.
Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: