Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wont run
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
my59vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:18 pm    Post subject: Wont run Reply with quote

I just installed a new set of heads on my stock(other than the 009) 36hp. The motor ran great before I pulled it out to replace the heads. I pulled the motor for a leak and just ended up replacing the heads while I was at it, but my problem is I cant drive the car now. It idles fine and revs fine, but when I put it under the load of driving it goes for a second and the motor goes down to an idle and just about dies. I also noticed that on the intake manifold where it connects to the carb that it is getting condensation and is cold. What could be the problem? thanks
bubutz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idle mixture too rich and your manifold maybe clogged
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The preheat pipes on your manifold may be plugged up. Those are the small (about 1/2" diameter) pipes that come off down at the exhaust port and run along the bottom of the manifold.

They are supposed to allow hot air to go through to warm the intake. When they get clogged, no hot air can go through.

The manifold will not only get cold, it will freeze up! Sometimes if the humidity is just right, you will see frost, or even big time ice on the manifold under the carb.

The other thing to check is that you have free flow of fuel from the tank to the carb. If your fuel flow is restricted, it may be allowing enough fuel for idle, but when the fuel demand increases it can't deliver enough to keep up.
my59vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found what I think is my problem. You can see when I tried to fix the problem I just made it worse by breaking the carb. Could this have been causing the manifold to get cold? The jet was just laying in the carb.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x2 on the preheat pipes. They are important to smooth running. I had a clogged intake manifold on my 36 hp and I was amazed when I replaced it with a good one about how much better the car ran. I have a feeling though, that there must be more than that involved in your problem. As doc suggests, check fuel flow. Perhaps when you pulled the engine the flex fuel line may have got pinched somehow. Or some dirt has been dislodged and is blocking things up somewhere. Check one thing at a time and see if that makes a difference. Wouldn't hurt to double check ignition - point gap and timing. Good luck in getting this problem resolved.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like your emulsion tube got sucked into the motor. You need a new carburetor, or a new emulsion tube with air correction jet installed. Your problem is not cold manifold, that can get cold right below the carburetor even on a warm sunny day. But while you have your manifold off searching for your lost emulsion tube, you might as well check to see if your heat riser tube is clear.

Here's a diagram for you. Take off the top and see if your emulsion tube housing is missing or broken.
my59vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the emulsion tube? Also is the piece that broke off the air correction jet? So I just need an emulsion tube with the jet? Where can I get one of these?

Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is the emulsion tube housing with the emulsion tube inside. You need to find a replacement carb for parts, or find someone willing to sell/give you just the part that's broken. You might be able to epoxy it back together if all the pieces are there, but of course if the epoxy fails then you might end up with that jet down inside your combustion chamber. Also, make sure that the brass tube fits tightly back into the carb base; if it's loose it can leak fuel from the float chamber.
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen that happen before where the air correction jet gets overtightened and the emulsion tube housing cracks. Happened to me actually. As suggested you might start looking for a carb for parts. The emulsion tube can be a little difficult to remove sometimes depending on carb condition. You really need to be careful. Your other option is to find a rebuilt or a good 28PCI carb. They often come up in the Samba classifieds.
Motorhead55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have repaired the castings by sizing down a piece of thin wall brass tubing and slipping it over the two broken pieces. I used JB weld to attach the tube over the broken pieces. I had to do this on a 1954 Mercedes 300SB that had unobtanium Solex carburetors on it. If you get another piece or carburetor, DON'T tighten it so tight.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: