Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

type1 irs into type2 nightmare FINISHED
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: type1 irs into type2 nightmare FINISHED Reply with quote

this is my update to all that were following this project.i have finnaly finished putting the type1 irs section into my 61 bus . it is SWEET i got about5 inches lower in the back with the stock ride. anyone who knows about this project and would like more info on specifics just ask.
59 vw guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: type1 irs into type2 nightmare FINISHED Reply with quote

I read somewhere that there is a kit that isnt very hard to do this procedure with the kit was yours very difficult?i have been debating on straight axle kit or the irs i bought lowered and narrowed beam and spindels so i should be able to get an easy 8 inch drop but im concerned with getting back that low...
bruno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: type1 irs into type2 nightmare FINISHED Reply with quote

i dont know if the kit is easy to install.the guy i bought the bus off of cut out the stock everything and put in a later bus irs [very badly] which was to wide the tires were rubbing.i had to cut out all off his crap and complelty fabricate a new rear section and then weld in a super beetle rear clip .now the the ride is around 5 inches lower which the spring plates in the stock beetle position.the answer to your second ? about how lowcan the rear adjust is all ive benn told is LOW .just post that here and someone will respond or do a search .
59 vw guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject: type1 irs into type2 nightmare FINISHED Reply with quote

Cool thanks for info bruno..
SonicVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: type1 irs into type2 nightmare FINISHED Reply with quote

A little more elaborate mod than is necessary. typically you retain the stock bus framehorn and simply weld in irs arm mounts, use bug irs trans,arms,cv's and you are set. However a typical irs install usually only lowers a bus 3 1/2". A straight axle with give you the most drop (usually up to 7") but obviously camber becomes a factor.
bruno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: type1 irs into type2 nightmare FINISHED Reply with quote

i also used a bus transmission not the wimpy beetle one
bruno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: type1 irs into type2 nightmare FINISHED Reply with quote

sonicvw all of this was necessary the guy before me butchered it.i talked to a bunch of people and everyone suggested this.trust me i would of if i could of.
SonicVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: type1 irs into type2 nightmare FINISHED Reply with quote

Right I got that from your original message. Just wanted to clarify that it is not that hard for everyone. Type 1 trans will handle a lot of abuse when driven correctly. You are correct that the bus trans is beffier, but my 67 bug that I sold last year was 175HP @ the rear wheels and that trans was 4 years old with 40,000 hard miles and probably 30+ passes down the strip and it was a type 1 set up. For my van the type 1 works well with my 2017 and straight axle non red. box set up lowered 5".
59 vw guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:31 am    Post subject: type1 irs into type2 nightmare FINISHED Reply with quote

Sounds sweet sonicvw i think im going with straight kit without red boxes i would like to get at least 5 inches lower in back...
vwdank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:14 am    Post subject: type1 irs into type2 nightmare FINISHED Reply with quote

ok I have a couple of ?'s I just bought a 63 split that has been converted to IRS. I noticed that the bottom rear tires stick out(like a slant) like there is a heavy load but worse more so on the driver side even the drive axle looks like its not set right. does any one know what could be causing this shocks, bad conversion i dunno, it bugs the crap out of me i would love to fix this myself but I don't know where to start. Oh yea why do you all want to lower the rear, Just curious!
if anyone is wanting to give any advice you could email me [email protected] or here would be fine.

thanks!=0)
rizzag
Now Wut?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: type1 irs into type2 nightmare FINISHED Reply with quote

i hate to break it to you bruno, but i would never ride in your bus, i would be to afraid to ride in a vehicle as heavy as a bus that is using torsion bars that are designed for a vehicle much lighter than the bus. i wouldn't be suprised if you go over a big dip in the road or something and break a torsion bar.

not dissin, just food for thought.

jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: