Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

pushrods
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: pushrods Reply with quote

Here's my situation, I initially used steel Bugpack 3/8" pushrods in my 1776 that has an Engle 100 cam, single HD springs and VW 1.25 ratio rockers for its valve train. My question is would HD Aluminum pushrods work just as well? This engine has one hell of a lot of what sounds like pushrod noise. At the very least it's definitely coming from the valvetrain and I've heard that steel 'rods are much louder than aluminum due to the differing expansion rates and what not.

Second question: how can you tell by sound if the pushrods are knocking around on the inside of the pushrod tubes? When teh engine is cold I can hear a sound that makes me think of just that, but I haven't yet inspected the insides of the tubes to see what's up yet.

Any thoughts would be great!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1955ccbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aluminums will work fine, the chromoly's are needed when you run more spring pressure, like dual springs. I agree with you on the noise, I run the chromoly's in mine and they are really loud.
turboblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CM pushrods can be run at nearly zero lash. If one uses normal lash settings that are designed for the aluminum pushrods, that setting will grow with the steel versions and become quite loud. Too much side lash on the rocker arms sounds like excessive valve lash too.

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be the side play, but I wrestled that for what seemed like forever and a day and thought I had everything all decent...it does get better once the car is warmed up...and on top of that my package tray is rusted out so I hear nothing but engine noise anyway...lol
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWDOCTOR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its possible the pushrods hitting tubes due to running 1.25 vw rockers without offset rocker shafts.
Tom
GhiaManiac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd check and readjust with the chromoly ones. They're adjusted at a 'loose zero' as turboblue mentioned.
I like that because there's no need for a feeler gauge. I use the spin method. Tighten the adjustment screw
until you can just spin it with your fingers. Once the engine heats up, you'll end up with a few thousanths of clearance,
and not much noisier than stock aluminum.
JC Saunders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be to much backlash in the cam gear! take the spark plugs out and turn the crankshaft pulley back and forth. also take the valve covers
off and get a look while turning the engine over by hand. just a thought.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It definitely isn't the cam gears...I'm running magnum straight cuts and checked all that during assembly. My end play on the cam was right around .002" closer to .003" and the backlash was spot on, when I checked it while turning the crank in the case. I'll change out the pushrods and see how things turn out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: