Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

eastern colorado porsche graveyard
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nailbomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 4:13 pm    Post subject: eastern colorado porsche graveyard Reply with quote

I work in the auto industry(audi&porsche) and have a few sources for wheels and other misc. parts. So I put the word out a few months ago that I am looking for some alloys for my notch. I get the number of this guy who deals mainly with porsche parts, but has some nos vw stuff. After talking to him for a while, he tells me to come over and check out the wheels he has. I get there and its like one of those too good to be true stories you hear. First, he's got at least 20 porsche 356's just sitting there, rotting away. A few 914's, 911's, 924's, 944's, and even some speedsters. All of his cars are porsche except for a couple of late model bugs. But he has a friggin' warehouse stuffed full of vw/porsche nos. Boxes of 36 hp fuel pumps, brand new. Rods, cranks, bearings, all nos, he's got steering wheels, interior parts, all sorts of stuff. Well by now I've got full on wood and I haven't even looked at the alloys yet. He's got another building, not quite as big as the warehouse, but also stuffed full of parts. Behind these two buildings, there is a trailer with racks and racks of wheels. Alloys,phone dials, cookie cutters you get the idea. I can hardly contain my enthusiasm. Well the only downside to this is the guy is a marathon talker. talks and talks endlessly(kinda like this story) I finally get him to start talking prices. The problem is, he can't make up his mind on how much he wants or what any of his stuff is worth. He knows alot about porsches, but not much about vws. So he waffles back and forth, and then decides he doesn't want to sell anything now, he's got to appraise it's value, blah blah. Now I can understand him not wanting to give his stuff away, but shit I drove all the way out to the middle of fucking nowhere! I can say that discovering a secret
stash like this is pretty damn exciting. I've called him a couple of time since then, and he is a little more aware of what he has and what its worth now.
23window
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 3:24 pm    Post subject: eastern colorado porsche graveyard Reply with quote

Man I hate it when that stuff happens. You find a great part/bus/set of rims/whatever and the owner hum-haws about the price. Or says "I'll find out what its worth and get back to you".
Or they price it WAY out of market range and is convinced its priceless. You've all been there.
IndianaVWKid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 4:19 pm    Post subject: eastern colorado porsche graveyard Reply with quote

Dude that sucks....I hate people like that, They don't need it, why can't they hook a brother up who does need it...and by need I mean "Desires to own"...It's kinda lame...but I guess If I had it, I would want to get all I could out of it, and not get ripped off...(But I'm not a stiff neck)
Mango Juice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:56 pm    Post subject: eastern colorado porsche graveyard Reply with quote

Well I have to say it hapened to me also,here we go, I was helping my buddy deliver a freshly built 6 cylinder 911 Porsche motor to a So Cal Shop, after getting to the shop, I saw a few Porsche cars sitting around, after talking to the owners son about old vws he informed me to look around the shop as his parents owned a vw/porsche dealership in the fifties and he had a bunch of new old parts on the shelves in the parts buildings, sure as shit, I found a goldmine, I asked if he would be willing to sell some of the items and he said make a pile and I will give you a price not knowing how much I carefully selected an assortment of nos parts for early beetles,buses,and original EMPI Parts, after I put together a small pile he looked it over and said How about $300.00(No Joke) I said sounds fair and was happily on my way back to Fresno, after keeping in contact he had told me he could not give this stuff away at a Pomona Swap Meet he went to many years earlier??? He let me buy three loads of nos parts($300.00 a load) and than on the fouth trip I was planning to buy the rest of the lot, he simply said he decided to hold on to the rest and keep in touch???? Damn maybe I should have grabbed all the nos 36 hp vw logo mufflers,nos 36 hp cases,crankshafts hardparts. I did get at least touch all of those rare parts I left behind,this was not too long ago, who will find the leftovers????? Wow it was very fun while it lasted!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: