Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine trouble shoot
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugman93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Engine trouble shoot Reply with quote

Ok im new to the samba, i recently acquired a 1967 VW beetle with sunroof and a 1600cc AH block, recently (2 weeks ago) the fuel line flew off and caught fire to the upper half of the motor, the cylinders were untouched but when i put the dog house, gen, carb and etc back in the car, it will turn over and it will start very oddly and now it will idle very high say 3,000 rpm and back down and die, idk whats going on, im new to the bug scene, i need ALOT of help Sad everyone thinks i have two dead cylinders from a video i took if you need to see the video i will send it however i can, PLEASE HELP ME SAVE MY BUG Sad
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a large Vacuum leak.

Did the fire burn the intake manifold boots?
Those are made of rubber and connect the intake center section to the aluminum end castings on Dual Port engines.

Or any rubber caps that where on un-used intake manifold ports?
Engine swaps can result in old capped of Smog ports.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
bugman93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all the boots and seals were replaced when i took it out, it has a 34 pict carb i picked up from some guy in the area and its acting like crap, everyone says my engine is shot but i dont see how, the car was on fire for literally a minute, its an aircooled engine, it should take the heat, the block itself was in great shape when i pulled it, no scortch marks or anything, timing could be off? i have a video of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HafjNtnlyok&list=UUoTXOIP_dUY2BUWd3K5knGw
aircooledonly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it is missing somewhere. I would first do a compression test to verify compression is equal or near equal on all cylinders. If it is not, you are wasting your time. You can adjust your valves first, then do a compression test. Why waste your time on a junk motor.
bugman93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks! i will do that friday morning! it fired up fine earlier today! like it ran like nothing was wrong till i went to start it 3 hours later and it didnt want to fire
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: