Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Questions on my 68 Ghia
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
young55961
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Questions on my 68 Ghia Reply with quote

Could someone help me with these questions?

1. What is the Red light under the fuel Gauge for ? What is the correct wiring?
2. I had replaced the Fuel gauge sending unit gasket. But I still smell fuel around that area, still some fuel appear around the gasket. Should I tighten it more, or I need to add sealant in between.
3. What is proper RPM to shift on 1st and 2nd gear for stock transmission?

Thank you.
Bill
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Questions on my 68 Ghia Reply with quote

Do you mean the red push-button? For checking your brake master cylinder.
You might check the owners manual up in the "technical" tab to answer some basic questions, there are also wiring schematics that should help you figure things out.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/ghia.php

Might need to tighten those screws a little more. You might need to replace any old hoses to the tank, breather hoses as well. I've had an issue with my 70 bug where fuel was seeping out between the welds in the 2 tank halves.
I've done a similar repair, I recall reading that you're 'not' supposed to put any sealant on there, but I could be wrong.

I had a 68 AS ghia, I'm not sure what the proper RPM was for shifting, I never let it rev too high. I also started out in the L gear and drove it like it was a 3 speed.

I imagine that they put the same speedometers as the bugs received so those hash tags or downshifting marks might be present, though I don't think that will help you much to answer this question.
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Questions on my 68 Ghia Reply with quote

Shift point will depend on your engine configuration and load. You will tend to shift earlier on flat land for best economy, but will need to shift at higher rpms going uphill or carrying a heavy load. For a stock engine, I typically upshifted at around 3,000 rpm in normal driving. Redline for a stock engine is around 4,500 rpm.
-Zodiac-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Questions on my 68 Ghia Reply with quote

You'll hear it - When she starts screaming, it's time to shift Wink
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Questions on my 68 Ghia Reply with quote

sactojesse wrote:
Shift point will depend on your engine configuration and load. You will tend to shift earlier on flat land for best economy, but will need to shift at higher rpms going uphill or carrying a heavy load. For a stock engine, I typically upshifted at around 3,000 rpm in normal driving. Redline for a stock engine is around 4,500 rpm.

Something to keep in mind is the tire height.
The OP does not say the tires aren't stock, but as popular as lowering, etc is, I thought it good just to keep in mind.
The speedometer shift markings would be for stock tires.
IF there are shorter/smaller height tires, then it would be required to up shift to a higher gear at slower speeds, and will also reduce top speed a few mph as the motor will spin faster at an equivalent speed to stock height tires.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions on my 68 Ghia Reply with quote

As mentioned there should be three hash marks on the speedo. These are suggested shift points. I would start there and sees how it goes. You are typically all in by 45 mph following those marks.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions on my 68 Ghia Reply with quote

Just remember DO NOT LUG THE MOTOR, you need the fan to spin fast enough to keep the motor cool and luging will beat your main bearing mounts to death. You can tell real quick when the motor has run out of steam, remember the sound and shift a little before that (unless some Fiat 500 is racing you then blow it up if needed to win, your honor is at stake.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions on my 68 Ghia Reply with quote

young55961 wrote:
Could someone help me with these questions?

1. ...
2. ...
3. What is proper RPM to shift on 1st and 2nd gear for stock transmission? Thank you. Bill

Bill, My '68 Ghia's Owner's Manual says:

"You can drive your Volkswagen at full speed from the first day. There are, however, certain permissible speed ranges for the various gears:
1st gear: 0-15 mph
2nd gear: 10-35 mph
3rd gear: 20-55 mph
4th gear: 30 mph and up"

Thus while the advice is not related to engine revs, it's useful, all the more so since our Ghias didn't come with rev counters.

I've always regarded third gear as my top gear when driving my VWs (Beetles and now Ghia) in town where the speed limit is 35 mph. Slightly higher revs make for better cooling.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: