Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Time for an engine swap
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IronBenderII
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

Sassuan wrote:
Have you considered this... the FAS PD TDi. I am somewhat surprised that this has not come up in the thread. But I admit I am biased. Full disclosure... a happy customer and local to them.

This is a rock-solid turn-key kit. Power, reliability, parts availability, designed to match VW transaxle, excellent ground clearance and under the lid. Install it yourself or have local shop take care of it.

http://www.foreignautosupply.com/engine-and-drive-train-programs/

Peace.
pS

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's a niiiiiiiiiice setup right there. $16k might be hard to swallow though! Would have to be a hell of a lot better than the mTDI to justify that difference in cost...

Thanks for sharing!
FIRST Robotics Coach - #3859 (Wolfpack Robotics) http://www.twitter.com/wprobotics

'82 Diesel Westfalia with an 1Z TDI, Peloquin, GW 1.5" lift springs, 27" BFG ATs

'75 Bronco with 408 stroker, 40" MTRs, ARB/Dana 60 front/rear, all home built.

And my kid has a really cool baja bug Smile
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

Just for clear comparison purposes, that's a brand-spankin' new engine there. Very few other engine swaps can boast that feature. I've dealt with enough FAS stuff to know they build really high quality items. I have no direct experience with those kits, but given all the other work I've seen from them, I have a high degree of confidence in their swap approaches.

I still suggest you try and find and drive an ABA, 1.8t and TDI van before settling on a swap, but if you are interested in mTDI, then perhaps you should contact Karl Mullendore about the pump work.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
IronBenderII
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

Yeah, it looks like a beautiful kit. And I do like having the new engine (new everything really). I just don' know if I want to spend the $16k. Even though $$ was #20 on my list of critical factors, it is still a factor Smile.
FIRST Robotics Coach - #3859 (Wolfpack Robotics) http://www.twitter.com/wprobotics

'82 Diesel Westfalia with an 1Z TDI, Peloquin, GW 1.5" lift springs, 27" BFG ATs

torbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

IronBenderII wrote:
Yeah, it looks like a beautiful kit. And I do like having the new engine (new everything really). I just don' know if I want to spend the $16k. Even though $$ was #20 on my list of critical factors, it is still a factor Smile.

If you want to see a 1.9 PD in action, I believe http://liveworkwander.com/ is running one, and it's a pretty cool engine (the sound is killer!). They have a good number of youtube vids that will give you an idea of what this engine can do. They also have had a lot of issues with it, but I think based more on the install than the actual engine.

FAS does impressive work (Not sure if they're running an FAS kit). While its more complex than an M-TDI, as Zeitgeist said it's a new engine, and I think worth considering if you can afford it. For what you plan to do, I still personally prefer the simplicity of an M-TDI (but then I ended up with a Subaru install, so... grain of salt and all that Laughing)

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

but if you are interested in mTDI, then perhaps you should contact Karl Mullendore about the pump work.

This. He's The Man, and once Follow The Wind installed his pump, they haven't has a single issue with their TDi. What they experienced can happen to any diesel, but is also extremely rare so don't let it scare you away.
Sassuan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

torbot wrote:
IronBenderII wrote:

If you want to see a 1.9 PD in action, I believe http://liveworkwander.com/ is running one, and it's a pretty cool engine (the sound is killer!). They have a good number of youtube vids that will give you an idea of what this engine can do. They also have had a lot of issues with it, but I think based more on the install than the actual engine.

FAS does impressive work (Not sure if they're running an FAS kit). While its more complex than an M-TDI, as Zeitgeist said it's a new engine, and I think worth considering if you can afford it. For what you plan to do, I still personally prefer the simplicity of an M-TDI (but then I ended up with a Subaru install, so... grain of salt and all that Laughing)

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:

but if you are interested in mTDI, then perhaps you should contact Karl Mullendore about the pump work.

This. He's The Man, and once Follow The Wind installed his pump, they haven't has a single issue with their TDi. What they experienced can happen to any diesel, but is also extremely rare so don't let it scare you away.

I believe the LWW build uses a FAS basic kit (cradles, mounts, etc.) only, not the full turn-key conversion.
Peace,
pS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

The PD link on that site was shut down by Firefox as unsecured so I can't see the detail.

This is the PD engine used on the late Mk4 early Mk5 cars or a different version?
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

The BEW (PD) engine come at about 130 hp stock. They were introduced here in NA, if I remember correctly, beginning with the 2004 model MK4s.

Early on, they had Cam Shaft issues related to the smaller lobes. The unit injectors are operated by cam lobes, thus, 4 extra lobes on the same cam. They required a particular spec oil. Seems the issue may have been solved with the BRM engines. I've done a TB job on one BEW engine .. that's about my experience with them.

Unless I totally missed it, the Oil Filter Housing on the BEW engine is located in the same place on the block as on the ALH engine .......... uses the same filter. So, how does FAS get that engine under an unmodified deck lid and have good ground clearance at the same time? I can drop my ALH about 1.5 inches and use the OE unmodified deck lid. I see no way to shave anything off the bottom end... seems the transmission would have to be lowered in the front to keep the 4 degree angle to the rear (VW spec).

Does anyone have a pic of the rear of a Van with one of these engines installed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

I believe the PD blocks are essentially the same as the ALH. FAS builds their own oil pans, but I too had the same questions about that filter housing fitting under the decklid with stock ground clearance, wheel diameters and suspension settings.

Nowadays there's a remote filter housing adapter option, so that shouldn't be a problem with current 50 degree builds using the late model engine blocks.

y u rune klassik?
IronBenderII
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

They must drop the whole motor and transaxle down.

AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

My first oil pan was a modified OE ALH aluminum pan. Working with my welder, we made it as close as possible as to the OE oil pan for the 1.6 Diesel Engine, i.e. it's relationship to the transmission (same level). I had extreme leak issues with that oil pan because of stress cracks along the welds primarily due to using aluminum stock that was too thin.

My second oil pan has the same configuration ..... level with the bottom of the transmission. It is stainless steel! Zero leak issues and no need for a skid plate, but I don't go off road anyway.

Yeah, I've seen the adapter plate for the remote oil filter. I've been working on a mod for that. Also, I've been tinkering with an ALH accessory bracket to modify the position of the Injector Pump... Very Happy

Finding the time to do these things is the issue ..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
The BEW (PD) engine come at about 130 hp stock. They were introduced here in NA, if I remember correctly, beginning with the 2004 model MK4s.

Early on, they had Cam Shaft issues related to the smaller lobes. The unit injectors are operated by cam lobes, thus, 4 extra lobes on the same cam. They required a particular spec oil. Seems the issue may have been solved with the BRM engines. I've done a TB job on one BEW engine .. that's about my experience with them.

Thanks for the reply, that's what I thought. I was surprised there are still new PD engines out there given how long it's been since they were installed (in this market anyway), and that's one reason why I asked the question.

The other reason I asked......

The PD wasn't exactly well loved based on the TDIClub. I believe both early/Mk4 and late/Mk5 versions had cam problems, and there are also problems with cam bearing life. This developed after the PD system was grafted onto the VE pump ALH engine design. A search on TDIClub will yield tons of details and folks can come to their own conclusions.

There is a reason I have a 2.5 gas Mk5 Jetta instead of a PD and I've owned VW diesels for a lot of years, I'll just leave it at that.

If I had the resources to install a TDI into my Vanagon, I'd take an ALH VE pump engine over a PD but that's just my own opinion and YMMV.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

PD engines are a fairly popular swap for the off-road crowd, and I think they've long sorted out the cam and balance shaft issues. The common rails are becoming a popular swap now too. Both can be tweaked to produce massive amounts of torque. I'm contemplating either an ALH or PD swap in my Eurovan.

y u rune klassik?
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

To the OP,

As stated it took me a long time (read years) to decide on my swap. The money part, complexity and long term service aspects with parts were the big things on my list.

When I did my swap, the cost of the used engine and various bits required to swap it in came to around $6K. (I think I got away kind of cheap.) Plus all sorts of extra stuff like transmission rebuild and cooling system were extra. Not to forget tire upgrade and brakes (and now front AC!) ADD to that all the TIME needed to get all the information and parts in one big pile. I am sure I spent the better part of a year getting everything lined up. In other words there is a LOT to be said for getting a complete package. Yes, 16K is a large sum. It depends on your goals. If money is #20 then I would strongly consider the FAS solution.

-W

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

FWIW, here are some pics when I was marking up my OE ALH TDI oil pan for modification to fit the 50 degree angle diesel set-up.

I feel certain the bottom end of the BEW and BRM engines use the same oil pump set-up as the ALH engine and most likely the same oil pan. So, as you can see from the pics, the oil pump sprocket is the "limiting factor" with respect to a "short" oil pan mod for additional ground clearance.

Note: all photos are with the engine hanging at a 50 degree angle.

The semi-circle is the approximate location of the oil pump sprocket..

Below, after the cut..

Below, is a view from the rear right side of the engine.

As I stated previously, this oil pan mod did not work out very well due to cracking along some of the weld seams. Thicker aluminum stock metal would have probably made the difference.
IronBenderII
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

AndyBees wrote:
FWIW, here are some pics when I was marking up my OE ALH TDI oil pan for modification to fit the 50 degree angle diesel set-up.

I feel certain the bottom end of the BEW and BRM engines use the same oil pump set-up as the ALH engine and most likely the same oil pan. So, as you can see from the pics, the oil pump sprocket is the "limiting factor" with respect to a "short" oil pan mod for additional ground clearance.

Note: all photos are with the engine hanging at a 50 degree angle.

The semi-circle is the approximate location of the oil pump sprocket..

Below, after the cut..

Below, is a view from the rear right side of the engine.

As I stated previously, this oil pan mod did not work out very well due to cracking along some of the weld seams. Thicker aluminum stock metal would have probably made the difference.

Thanks for the info. Question. The 50* cut makes sense but why did you make the cut that is parallel to the mounting surface? Also, how thick was the plate you used??

syncrogreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

Let me know if you need subaru diesel ee20 latest generation.

Greg

travel pictures:
http://instagram.com/crepeattack/

- the Pastis build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=434656&highlight=subaru+diesel

Last edited by syncrogreg on Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IronBenderII
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

Thanks. I think I decided against the Subaru engines. Too hard to find parts. You toasted a transaxle a while back, right?

IronBenderII
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

Is the oil filter the only thing preventing an ALH mounted at 50* from requiring a raised deck lid? If I relocate the oil filter, can I keep my flat floor?

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

I suspect that the filter housing and injection pump are the two biggest points of intrusion. Unfortunately if you want to go mTDI the pump will stick up slightly more than on an eTDI @ 50. This is my nearly complete ALH @ 15, which shows you how tall the pump is in relation to the filter housing. Mine fits under the lid.

y u rune klassik?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Time for an engine swap Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
PD engines are a fairly popular swap for the off-road crowd, and I think they've long sorted out the cam and balance shaft issues. The common rails are becoming a popular swap now too. Both can be tweaked to produce massive amounts of torque. I'm contemplating either an ALH or PD swap in my Eurovan.

Just FYI, unless VW redesigned something, I'm not sure how they could have worked through everything that was causing problems on PD. Skinny cam lobes and unsupported cam bearings aren't easy fixes. There are a few folks weighing in on the links below I've learned to pay attention to over the 15 years I've been a member of that site so I take the information seriously.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=225918

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=241279

Maybe VW did change something and I missed it because I wrote off the PD a long time ago but I didn't think VW would bother redesigning an engine they only used for a few years before going CR.

Anyway, I think it's something that folks may want to look into before making a decision, especially considering the investment in a swap.

Good luck with the Eurovan!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: