Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Intermittent position on wiper switch?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadMax78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Intermittent position on wiper switch? Reply with quote

I just bought a intermittent wiper kit from Hella and now I'm thinking of how to retrofit it. It has a knob with which you can set the wiper interval from 2 to 20 times a minute. However, first there has to be switch that sends power to the intermittent wiper switch.

My 78 bus seems to have an intermittent wiper setting (configuration is from top to bottom 2,1,off,int). I've been doing a bit of searching on the forums but couldn't really find anything about actually using this position of the wiper switch. I know champagne buses had this feature, but I don't want to use the brown wiper switch, nor do I want to spend a lot more money on parts to make this work.

My question is if it's possible to make it switch power to my intermittent wiper kit or to a relay which in turn powers the kit. So is there a way to wire this up?
2010: Amsterdam - Cape Town - FIFA World Cup -- 26.000km
2014: New York - Rio de Janeiro - FIFA World Cup -- 27.000km
http://www.oranjetrophy.nl
Camper Special Club Member
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MadMax78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone?
2010: Amsterdam - Cape Town - FIFA World Cup -- 26.000km
2014: New York - Rio de Janeiro - FIFA World Cup -- 27.000km
http://www.oranjetrophy.nl
Camper Special Club Member
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
josh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got a 4 position switch you should be able to use it to control the intermittant wipers.

You will probably have to use the Bentley manual schematics and your trusty ohm meter to figure out how to wire the kit in.

I don't think many people have the 4 position switch and even fewer have bothered to see how it's wired in.

My first bus had intermittant wipers and as I recall it went from off to intermittant to low to high.
...If If stoner A takes a hit and then stoner B goes right away(not waiting two seconds), he's trying to suck on it while it's still got a vaccum, doesen't get much of a hit at all! Cause it hasn't filled back up all the way yet.

Stoner A is cylinders #2/4 B is #1/3 The plugged bowl is the throttle, the bong is the manifold
MadMax78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked in the bentley electrical scheme and it indeed shows the 4-way switch. However, I can't really see how it's supposed to work. The bentley shows 4 positions being 0,T,1,2. There appears to be no difference in the T and 1 position because they are both hooked up to the same wire. I presume there won't be a wire hanging under my dash just waiting to be used for an intermittent wiper. So I'd probably have to take the switch out of the steering column and see if I can modify the wiring to suit my needs. I was wondering though if someone already did this, because it's quite a hassle to take it all apart if someone can tell me right here and now it's not going to be possible.

Here's the diagram to see for yourself (wiper wiring is current track 12 to 15)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.