Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flatspot
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Flatspot Reply with quote

Have you tried playing with the accelerator pump cam on the carb? I've been able to get rid of any flat spot by adjusting that even with a 009.

brad
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Flatspot Reply with quote

The W100 cam is the twist here. What works with a stock cam no longer completely applys. Perhaps someome with direct experience with that combo can chime in. It will be best if you outline the rest of the build including the exhaust system.

With a stock engine except for an 009 one of the local old timers told me to solder up the hole in the throttle blade. That would eliminate some unmetered air at low throttle positions. Perhaps that would work on the softness from your extra cam at low rpms.
dhumsn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Flatspot Reply with quote

Glad its a good one. Ill have a lpok at it whem in more tonight. Its never been serviced. Then are you saying the holes on the bitterfly i must close up?

I live in a small town with no real mechanices just new part fittets
dhumsn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Flatspot Reply with quote

The build is

Standared heads and pistions

W100 cam and a perfirmence exshoust where all 4 pipes is the same length and no back box in place
dhumsn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Flatspot Reply with quote

I sucked bacume advanced it dose not loos power but i dont see the plate move when i suck it bit i dont think ill be ablebto move it with sucking it
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Flatspot Reply with quote

dhumsn wrote:
I sucked bacume advanced it dose not loos power but i dont see the plate move when i suck it bit i dont think ill be ablebto move it with sucking it

In the USA, you can buy hand vacuum pumps with a gauge on them for less than $30 bucks. Maybe you can find something there too? You can't check any vacuum canister with the mouth test. I've had customers send me their distributors to restore. They said they did that mouth test and the can was good. Installing a hand pump on the can showed they leaked down quickly. Leaking down means the diaphragm is torn inside it.

The breaker plate on an 034 is two pieces. The top piece slides/pivots on the bottom. There was original grease between these pieces. After decades, the grease is worn through and what's left hardens. There's also a spring and ball bearing that can get a divot in it. This make the pivoting of them harder or in some cases they seize together and don't move.

Any original Bosch distributor from the 60's-70's that hasn't been taken apart to service/restore it, badly needs to be serviced.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhumsn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Flatspot Reply with quote

Yeah it needs a service but in south africa hermanus good luck no real old school mechanices her anymore. Ill youtube how to do it and just pop it on my bakkie on a vacume line ti see if it works good or see if i can find anybody with a test vacume pump like you said. I did put new plugs in she is very happy now jist need a timing light on her for the 7.5 and the i need ti set the carb. Im trying to see if i can get play out of my link pins and king pins now well thats my next step.

Send me your email the ill email you some pics and things of my build
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Flatspot Reply with quote

For the link pins: first grease them, then tighten them, and check for slop. If it's still there, you'll need to change the bushings.

Saying this because I met I guy who disassembled the things before even trying to tighten them, bushings were fine, much time wasted...
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Flatspot Reply with quote

I can think of a quick vacuum can function test if you have a strobe timing light and a tachometer. Run the engine at 2500 rpm with the vacuum can connected and determine the timing. I find a white grease pencil can make a good temporary mark on the pulley. Then repeat the test with the vacuum line unplugged and capped at the carb. You should show less advance.
Cribbs74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Flatspot Reply with quote

Modifying a Kadron for vacuum is covered in the Kaddyshack tech section. I did it in an hr with some JB weld, drill bit and an old vacuum barb off of a 34-pict3.

I have a 1679, W100 with an SVDA. No flat spots.

Is the flat spot off idle? Or at speed when getting on the gas? If it’s off idle it’s more than likely the distributor, at speed it’s probably the accel pumps.

Ron
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhumsn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Flatspot Reply with quote

Gearbox ration? Gearbox number starts with sfas1213
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Flatspot Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
The W100 cam is the twist here. What works with a stock cam no longer completely applys.

You will have a flat spot, regardless if the stock carb/ignition is working perfectly. You simply need more fuel with the larger cam. Start increasing the idle jet. I would say you may end up with a .65, or .70 when you are all said, and done. Reset the mixture screws with each change of jet. Adjust the little one to where the idle is the smoothest/highest rpm, then you can adjust the bigger one for your final desired idle rpm. A good baseline for each would be 3 turns out for the large air bypass, and 4 for the small mixture one. Much deviation from those, the jet needs to be larger, or smaller.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Flatspot Reply with quote

Always complaints with the PICT and flat spots
You never hear any complaints about round spots.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Flatspot Reply with quote

many dist inflected flat spots can be covered up with carb work, thats covered up.... and many flat spots inflected by the carb can also be covered up with some dist work... but if you fix both you and your motor will be happyer. also some flat spots can be repaired at the tire stores. but sadly not all.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: