Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

97 Eurovan Transmission sealed? Fluid / Filter change?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: 97 Eurovan Transmission sealed? Fluid / Filter change? Reply with quote

When I bought my 97 EV I asked the PO about the transmission fluid and he said there was no dipstick and it was a "sealed" transmission. Looking on the samba and other places it seems a fluid and filter change is possible.

I also understand that a dipstick can be added. Is this correct? Filter and Fluid change? It currently has 100k on this trans.

Here is the trans issue:

I have only put about 300 miles on the van. It drives fantastic, gobbles up the highway miles! However, the trans feels like it is slipping when starting from a complete stop. This seems to be worse when the van is cold, just after morning start up.

For example, I live on a hill and in the morning, I can back out onto the street, kind of perpendicular to the hill but still have the rear facing a little down hill. Come to a complete stop, shift from R to D, wait a second or two and press the gas, the van moves very slowly and revs high. It has only done this twice but just got the van. It sure seems like slipping to me.

Step 1. seems to be to take a look at the fluid situation. How do I accomplish this?

What other steps should I take? How do I tell if it is the TCM or the valve body(?) or a fluid issue or a ruined trans?

I plan to take it off the road until diagnosed, but it cruzes wonderfully on the highway though. Around town I have been starting from a stop at a slow-to-medium pace and it seems fine, but i am not familiar how an EV should feel.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: 97 Eurovan Transmission sealed? Fluid / Filter change? Reply with quote

You check the trans level by getting the vehicle level and then opening the snorkel on the bottom to see if it seeps. You should be thinking about a 3 liter trans drain and replace cycle since it's a new to you car.

Look for seeps and leaks , touch with a paper towel to identify the leaking fluid

A T4 trans is smooth as silk in operation, so time to get that one serviced.
markcm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 97 Eurovan Transmission sealed? Fluid / Filter change? Reply with quote

Standard procedure is to replace the fluid and filter, I suggest Pentosin ATF-1 (not the LV formula). When you pull the old filter, break it open to see if there are any fragments in there indicating internal transmission hard part damage.

VW says the transmission is not serviceable while ZF commonly says 10yrs or 100k miles for fluid/filter but many EV owners settle on a much shorter interval such as 30k.

If that doesn't resolve, I'd start with a valve body before having a full transmission rebuild.

Fluid fill procedure is posted if you search. As mentioned you elevate the vehicle, fill it until seeping, start and warm transmission to about 35c, cycle through the gears, and top off until seeping while running.

Some people add dipsticks but I'm not convinced you get a useful measurement from that. Fill to proper level with proper fluid and watch for leaks.

Aftermarket transmission coolers are very popular as well, I would 100% require one on my EV. Particularly if you are in a warmer region or road tripping with mountain passes. The EV when working hard can easily raise the fluid at or above its specified top temp range, the cooler brings these temps down significantly. If you have a cooler installed, keep an eye on the fittings for awhile, although not too common I've read about several people being plagued with the fittings coming loose and leaking; we have not had any such issue on ours. I bought the German Transaxle kit which I believe is where Go Westy sources their kit.
scottz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 97 Eurovan Transmission sealed? Fluid / Filter change? Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys! Good info!
neisman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: 97 Eurovan Transmission sealed? Fluid / Filter change? Reply with quote

Aftermarket dipsticks are available and easy to install.
I have one in my Vista 21B.
Find them here https://groups.io/g/Vista-Sunstar
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 97 Eurovan Transmission sealed? Fluid / Filter change? Reply with quote

A quick update. I finally got around to checking the trans fluid (we have not been driving the van until I get a few things worked out). It was 2 quarts low! I topped it off for now and everything seems to be running fine and shifting smoothly.

The van is new to us and the PO mentioned that it was a sealed trans and he never checked the fluid. I'm not sure how log it was that low, but it seems to be working fine now. No unusual noises or anything.

I have a new filter and plan to do a full fluid change in a few hundred miles.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 97 Eurovan Transmission sealed? Fluid / Filter change? Reply with quote

I’ve changed mine at roughly 50k intervals with a series of 3 drain and fills
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: