Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
what has changed?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: June 13, 2004
Posts: 9653
Location: other side of the tracks
Zundfolge1432 is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Donít know if this has already been mentioned but fairly common items take longer to sell. You offer up something rare and price it right and see what happens.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member


Joined: January 30, 2006
Posts: 16733
Location: Eugene, OR
Mike Fisher is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

I just wait until I get my Retail price! Then the tire kickers come back kicking themselves because they didn't buy mine! Laughing
_________________
https://imgur.com/user/FisherSquareback/posts
69 FI/AT square Daily Driver
66 sunroof,67,70,71,71,71AT,72,72AT,73 Parts
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member


Joined: November 07, 2008
Posts: 2386
Location: N.E. Oklahoma
ZENVWDRIVER is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

There was an old website, I once belonged to. in the 90s and on - called Red Pepper Racing.com - a Honda CRX and Civic site... was a big-deal Honda site, like the samba.com is 4 VWs - was busy, busy, busy with classifieds, forums, shows and events... I even sponsored a couple Oklahoma cruises. Boy, that was fun...
Then, little by little as time went by, membership dropped off and by 2016, was no more.. Even the club CRX race car lost sponsorship, from dues.. that was sad for me and I finally sold my 1986 CRX - and that's that.

i remember , return members would ask, in the forums, what has happened to this high energy, high traffic site? It was fading, much like thesamba and the old Model A club's are fading... just is bound to happen. is great, we are experiencing it - the decline, instead of like the returning people are surprised... Everything changes
_________________
5/50, pastel green 11G - SOLD
8/50, gray 11A Beetle
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'91 NSX- wishful thinking

German sausage are the wurst.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member


Joined: November 07, 2008
Posts: 2386
Location: N.E. Oklahoma
ZENVWDRIVER is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Yes, I think is in decline.
_________________
5/50, pastel green 11G - SOLD
8/50, gray 11A Beetle
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'91 NSX- wishful thinking

German sausage are the wurst.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member


Joined: January 22, 2009
Posts: 7420
Location: San Dimas
c21darrel is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Interesting Zen. I agree items are selling s l o w l y in the classifieds but sales prices of split window buses (most air cooled vw's too) are at or close to all time highs. If you are right, we should see pre 67 bus prices come down soon.
_________________
GhiaBuild
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=481184
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian
Samba Curmudgeon


Joined: February 16, 2005
Posts: 8412
Location: East coast of Iowa
iowegian is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Donít know if this has already been mentioned but fairly common items take longer to sell. You offer up something rare and price it right and see what happens.

This has been my experience since I learned how to post ads on theSamba.com a few months ago. The really good stuff has been flying out of the CornPatch to buyers worldwide with nary a haggle. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator


Joined: April 11, 2000
Posts: 64404
Location: Phoenix, AZ
EverettB is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Moderator note:
Don't post political crap.
_________________
How to Post Photos
Everett Barnes - [email protected] | My wanted ads
"Water is the only drink for a wise man" | "Communication prevents complaints"
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member


Joined: November 07, 2008
Posts: 2386
Location: N.E. Oklahoma
ZENVWDRIVER is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Moderator note:
Don't post political crap.


... thank you for your tolerance
_________________
5/50, pastel green 11G - SOLD
8/50, gray 11A Beetle
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'91 NSX- wishful thinking

German sausage are the wurst.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member


Joined: November 07, 2008
Posts: 2386
Location: N.E. Oklahoma
ZENVWDRIVER is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Interesting Zen. I agree items are selling s l o w l y in the classifieds but sales prices of split window buses (most air cooled vw's too) are at or close to all time highs. If you are right, we should see pre 67 bus prices come down soon.


perspective $$$ blinds people
_________________
5/50, pastel green 11G - SOLD
8/50, gray 11A Beetle
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'91 NSX- wishful thinking

German sausage are the wurst.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member


Joined: May 30, 2004
Posts: 1132

wheel607 is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

When I started selling parts many years ago, I also had a real day job. I loved the hobby and would sell to cover expenses and make a few dollars for my projects.
Now, it is hard to find a seller that works a supporting job. They depend on this market for their living. Hence the high prices for junk! And, they really don't know better. It is just a living....no love for the hobby.
There is also a problem with just because it is new old stock, it must be worth a ton. Remember, Volkswagen and all of the suppliers made millions of vehicles and with that millions of parts. The internet has shown that not much is rare anymore.
If anybody thinks I am wrong, try pricing an item from a 60+ year old seller. Then try pricing the same item from a 20-30 year old vendor who was not even around when the part was made, much less care, I mean really care about the Marque. I believe this is the answer to your question "what has changed"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
Mos6502
Samba Member


Joined: December 30, 2015
Posts: 727

Mos6502 is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

People who enter a hobby with the idea of forcing it to become a business deserve all the frustration. Laughing

The worst are the clueless who raid junkyards, strip cars of parts, then try to sell common junk on ebay for rare-muscle-car-parts prices. I hate those people. Dumber than that are people I see parting out rare machines, not realizing that the machine is so rare that after they sell a couple parts off of it, they're never going to be able to move the rest - because now it's incomplete, and the market for parts is so small nobody will ever need the rest of it (I'm specifically thinking vintage motorcycles, which seem to attract the worst of the worst of this particularly clueless type of imbecile). They just ruin sh!t thinking rare=money. A lot of these scrap people have, so far as I can tell, more than few screws loose in the parts of the brain that keep our greed in check. It's like a disorder - that can't even consider the machine as a whole, their brain immediately fixates on the idea of destroying it, and then somehow turning that destruction into money. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwinnovator
Samba Member


Joined: July 11, 2005
Posts: 1147
Location: Still doing it in the back of your VW
vwinnovator is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Lately I've been cleaning out the shop...

Throwing away most anything I have multiples of that haven't moved in years.

such as genuine 5 lug vw brake drums that nobody would spend the time or $$ turning..

Cut up and trashed 6 late rusty beetles to free up some space..(2 more next in line)

Picked up a '69 westy with a rough interior that most likely will be gutted and scrapped-not worth the time to clean/refurbish, takes up too much space to hang onto for templates...

Have a 40yd scrap steel container on sight.
End of summer, I'll be loading it with 36hp/40hp engine cores, rear torsion housings, wheels, late bumpers, doors, OG gas tanks, suspension parts..stuff that ppl would rather be buying "new" China repos...

When you aren't selling OG steering boxes and pedal assemblies for a lousy $25, no sense in storing them for year anymore....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member


Joined: November 07, 2008
Posts: 2386
Location: N.E. Oklahoma
ZENVWDRIVER is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
When I started selling parts many years ago, I also had a real day job. I loved the hobby and would sell to cover expenses and make a few dollars for my projects.
Now, it is hard to find a seller that works a supporting job. They depend on this market for their living. Hence the high prices for junk! And, they really don't know better. It is just a living....no love for the hobby.
There is also a problem with just because it is new old stock, it must be worth a ton. Remember, Volkswagen and all of the suppliers made millions of vehicles and with that millions of parts. The internet has shown that not much is rare anymore.
If anybody thinks I am wrong, try pricing an item from a 60+ year old seller. Then try pricing the same item from a 20-30 year old vendor who was not even around when the part was made, much less care, I mean really care about the Marque. I believe this is the answer to your question "what has changed"


... thanks for the fodder - i'll chew on that for a while.
I have lowered my samba prices dramatically, yesterday and woke up this morning to 4 emails from folks wanting stuff... still chewing -
I also sell stuff to support my vintage VWs... just bought and bought over the years, cuz I enjoyed all this so much - now in retirement, these parts sales along with other investments help me maintain my vintage VW car collection and hobby... again, thanks for the fodder,
_________________
5/50, pastel green 11G - SOLD
8/50, gray 11A Beetle
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'91 NSX- wishful thinking

German sausage are the wurst.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality


Joined: February 16, 2004
Posts: 4102
Location: Planet VW
Splitdog is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

"Hello mudder.....hello fodder....." Cool
_________________
CH≥NO≤

Z = z≤ + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWAdam
Samba Member


Joined: February 14, 2002
Posts: 3109
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
VWAdam is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
wheel607 wrote:
When I started selling parts many years ago, I also had a real day job. I loved the hobby and would sell to cover expenses and make a few dollars for my projects.
Now, it is hard to find a seller that works a supporting job. They depend on this market for their living. Hence the high prices for junk! And, they really don't know better. It is just a living....no love for the hobby.
There is also a problem with just because it is new old stock, it must be worth a ton. Remember, Volkswagen and all of the suppliers made millions of vehicles and with that millions of parts. The internet has shown that not much is rare anymore.
If anybody thinks I am wrong, try pricing an item from a 60+ year old seller. Then try pricing the same item from a 20-30 year old vendor who was not even around when the part was made, much less care, I mean really care about the Marque. I believe this is the answer to your question "what has changed"


... thanks for the fodder - i'll chew on that for a while.
I have lowered my samba prices dramatically, yesterday and woke up this morning to 4 emails from folks wanting stuff... still chewing -
I also sell stuff to support my vintage VWs... just bought and bought over the years, cuz I enjoyed all this so much - now in retirement, these parts sales along with other investments help me maintain my vintage VW car collection and hobby... again, thanks for the fodder,



See I find the opposite. People who were around back then still see them as just cars whereas people my age (I'm 32) look at that stuff like it's gold because we weren't around to experience it first hand. Seeing anything in those blue and white NOS boxes just makes me super happy.
_________________
All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: October 05, 2014
Posts: 13112
Location: NYC/Upstate/ROW
Abscate is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Being kind and courteous in your dealings costs nothing but can reap rewards.


This is especially true if you're the buyer, once you start throwing out stupid offers, you have likely alienated the seller. We all like to negotiate, but if you piss the seller off, they're likely to stop dealing with you. Like you, I'd give the next guy a great deal & sweeten the pot just to spite the previous idiot ESPECIALLY if they're still standing there.


I pay my scrotum sucker friend $500 to go in right before me....
_________________
.ssS!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli


Joined: August 31, 2013
Posts: 10098
Location: North Carolina
TDCTDI is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Being kind and courteous in your dealings costs nothing but can reap rewards.


This is especially true if you're the buyer, once you start throwing out stupid offers, you have likely alienated the seller. We all like to negotiate, but if you piss the seller off, they're likely to stop dealing with you. Like you, I'd give the next guy a great deal & sweeten the pot just to spite the previous idiot ESPECIALLY if they're still standing there.


I pay my scrotum sucker friend $500 to go in right before me....

If you pay the full asking price, IDGAF how much you paid your nut nuzzler.
_________________
Everybody born before 1975 has a story, good, bad, or indifferent, about a VW.


GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member


Joined: November 07, 2008
Posts: 2386
Location: N.E. Oklahoma
ZENVWDRIVER is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

VWAdam wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
wheel607 wrote:
When I started selling parts many years ago, I also had a real day job. I loved the hobby and would sell to cover expenses and make a few dollars for my projects.
Now, it is hard to find a seller that works a supporting job. They depend on this market for their living. Hence the high prices for junk! And, they really don't know better. It is just a living....no love for the hobby.
There is also a problem with just because it is new old stock, it must be worth a ton. Remember, Volkswagen and all of the suppliers made millions of vehicles and with that millions of parts. The internet has shown that not much is rare anymore.
If anybody thinks I am wrong, try pricing an item from a 60+ year old seller. Then try pricing the same item from a 20-30 year old vendor who was not even around when the part was made, much less care, I mean really care about the Marque. I believe this is the answer to your question "what has changed"


... thanks for the fodder - i'll chew on that for a while.
I have lowered my samba prices dramatically, yesterday and woke up this morning to 4 emails from folks wanting stuff... still chewing -
I also sell stuff to support my vintage VWs... just bought and bought over the years, cuz I enjoyed all this so much - now in retirement, these parts sales along with other investments help me maintain my vintage VW car collection and hobby... again, thanks for the fodder,



See I find the opposite. People who were around back then still see them as just cars whereas people my age (I'm 32) look at that stuff like it's gold because we weren't around to experience it first hand. Seeing anything in those blue and white NOS boxes just makes me super happy.



... this is what I remember - when 1 out of every 4 cars on NJ roads was a VW, back in the 60s... I paid $250 for my first 1950 11G split bug and a dash radio was $500 - a month's wages... a split rear bumper was $450... never been cheap for the older VWs... not "just" a car for me... always been something special and i'm twice your age
... I took this pix on my way to art school in NYC in the 60s = VWs were everywhere - no one wanted a lowly bus - BUGs were all the rage.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
5/50, pastel green 11G - SOLD
8/50, gray 11A Beetle
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'91 NSX- wishful thinking

German sausage are the wurst.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWAdam
Samba Member


Joined: February 14, 2002
Posts: 3109
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
VWAdam is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
VWAdam wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
wheel607 wrote:
When I started selling parts many years ago, I also had a real day job. I loved the hobby and would sell to cover expenses and make a few dollars for my projects.
Now, it is hard to find a seller that works a supporting job. They depend on this market for their living. Hence the high prices for junk! And, they really don't know better. It is just a living....no love for the hobby.
There is also a problem with just because it is new old stock, it must be worth a ton. Remember, Volkswagen and all of the suppliers made millions of vehicles and with that millions of parts. The internet has shown that not much is rare anymore.
If anybody thinks I am wrong, try pricing an item from a 60+ year old seller. Then try pricing the same item from a 20-30 year old vendor who was not even around when the part was made, much less care, I mean really care about the Marque. I believe this is the answer to your question "what has changed"


... thanks for the fodder - i'll chew on that for a while.
I have lowered my samba prices dramatically, yesterday and woke up this morning to 4 emails from folks wanting stuff... still chewing -
I also sell stuff to support my vintage VWs... just bought and bought over the years, cuz I enjoyed all this so much - now in retirement, these parts sales along with other investments help me maintain my vintage VW car collection and hobby... again, thanks for the fodder,



See I find the opposite. People who were around back then still see them as just cars whereas people my age (I'm 32) look at that stuff like it's gold because we weren't around to experience it first hand. Seeing anything in those blue and white NOS boxes just makes me super happy.



... this is what I remember - when 1 out of every 4 cars on NJ roads was a VW, back in the 60s... I paid $250 for my first 1950 11G split bug and a dash radio was $500 - a month's wages... a split rear bumper was $450... never been cheap for the older VWs... not "just" a car for me... always been something special and i'm twice your age
... I took this pix on my way to art school in NYC in the 60s = VWs were everywhere - no one wanted a lowly bus - BUGs were all the rage.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Iíve been VW obsessed since I was about two years old. And I have friends my age who are the same way. They arenít commonplace anymore. Weíve dragged them out of the woods, junkyards, backyards, swamps and fought to revive these cars despite that we werenít even alive when they were made. Iím the head organizer of the largest VW show in my state and the majority of those who help me are around my age. I live and breathe these cars.
Not trying to start a pissing contest but I donít see the younger people being the problem, nor do I see older people being the problem. Itís simply some, both young and old, who are just flippers not enthusiasts.
_________________
All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality


Joined: February 16, 2004
Posts: 4102
Location: Planet VW
Splitdog is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Everybody loves the cars that were around when they were in high school. All the model T guys are gone, or going. Of course, there are anomolies in everything, but mainstream, yes.
_________________
CH≥NO≤

Z = z≤ + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 11

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2020, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB