Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trans stuck in 2ND. Here's what I did!
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Trans stuck in 2ND. Here's what I did! Reply with quote

So I have had this happen 3 times now. Every time in a 67. But it can happen on, I imagine any tunnel trans.
I did some engine adjustments yesterday afternoon. The engine ran pretty good. Why not take it out for a drive and feel the wind in what's left of my hair?

On a 10mph left turn I went to pass a slow Ford truck and when I went to shift into 3RD I found the trans was stuck in 2ND. Thankfully the Ford let me go ahead before I was hit head on by an oncoming car. Shocked
I nursed the car home 10 miles stuck in gear. I pulled to the shoulder to let cars pass.

Here's what I did to get the car to shift again.

Jacked the car up on the drivers side. Placed jack stands fore and aft. I also left the floor jack in place under the jack point on the car since I was working on gravel. Safety first!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I selected my weapons of choice for this job.

Removed the rear wheel to gain access to my target.

Target acquired!

Removed the trans fill plug and acquired my secondary target.

I inserted a screwdriver into the fill port and moved the gear visible through the fill plug opening rearward.

I climbed into the cabin and released the E brake. I grabbed the shift lever and was over joyed to find that it would now shift. Very Happy
I reversed the target acquisition procedure. Set the car on the ground and tried the trans with the engine running. It works as designed.

This procedure can be done roadside with the right rudimentary tools and the Bilstien jack. I know! I have done it that way many years ago.
With proper tools and a floor jack. It takes 15 minutes to complete.

Just thought I'd share my stuck gear and roadside fix.

Have a great week.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!

Last edited by 67rustavenger on Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans stuck in 2ND. Here's what I did! Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
So I have had this happen 3 times now. Every time in a 67. But it can happen on, I imagine any tunnel trans.
I did some engine adjustments yesterday afternoon. The engine ran pretty good. Why not take it out for a drive and feel the wind in what's left of my hair?

On a 10mph left turn I went to pass a slow Ford truck and when I went to shift into 3RD I found the trans was stuck in 2ND. Thankfully the Ford let me go ahead before I was hit head on by an oncoming car. Shocked
I nursed the car home 10 miles stuck in gear. I pulled to the shoulder to let cars pass.

Here's what I did to get the car to shift again.

Jacked the car up on the drivers side. Placed jack stands fore and aft. I also left the floor jack in place under the jack point on the car since I was working on gravel. Safety first!

I selected my weapons of choice for this job.

Removed the rear wheel to gain access to my target.

Target acquired!

Removed the trans fill plug and acquired my secondary target.

I inserted a screwdriver into the fill port and moved the gear visible through the fill plug opening rearward.

I climbed into the cabin and released the E brake. I grabbed the shift lever and was over joyed to find that it would now shift. Very Happy
I reversed the target acquisition procedure. Set the car on the ground and tried the trans with the engine running. It works as designed.

This procedure can be done roadside with the right rudimentary tools and the Bilstien jack. I know I have done it that way many years ago.
With proper tools and a floor jack. It takes 15 minutes to complete.

Just thought I'd share my stuck gear and roadside fix.

Have a great week.

You have a broken 1-2 shift fork, your tranny needs to be rebuilt. Do not shift with any agreesion at all, maybe you can limp it along.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans stuck in 2ND. Here's what I did! Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:

You have a broken 1-2 shift fork, your tranny needs to be rebuilt. Do not shift with any agreesion at all, maybe you can limp it along.

I'll take that on advisement Scott.

The last time I did this procedure the trans was still working great up until I sold the 67 it was in. To my knowledge the buyer never had any issues with the trans.

I have a spare trans of unknown quality. 67 Long axle.

Since you do such nice work. I was thinking of asking you if you could/would build one up for me.
Jeff and Jim have great things to say about your craftsmanship.
Sadly, I'm too far away to come and learn and assist with the build process.

I drive a 67 with, Hopefully a reliable 2180 once my new heads arrive.
The current engine in the car is a long legged 1679.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans stuck in 2ND. Here's what I did! Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

I'll take that on advisement Scott.

The last time I did this procedure the trans was still working great up until I sold the 67 it was in. To my knowledge the buyer never had any issues with the trans.

I have a spare trans of unknown quality. 67 Long axle.

Since you do such nice work. I was thinking of asking you if you could/would build one up for me.
Jeff and Jim have great things to say about your craftsmanship.
Sadly, I'm too far away to come and learn and assist with the build process.

I drive a 67 with, Hopefully a reliable 2180 once my new heads arrive.
The current engine in the car is a long legged 1679.

Actually it is fact. I showed this situation to Jim while his tranny was on the fork jig. If the small ear on the fork is not broke it is physically impossible to "hang" in gear.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Trans stuck in 2ND. Here's what I did! Reply with quote

I've seen that happen maybe a half a dozen times. The gearbox is in 1st or 2nd and the hockey stick winds up in 3-4. I don't know how it happens. You figured out how to correct it. I've had people lock them up in 3-4 too. You should be able to tell if has a brass fork or not by looking at it. (possible broke fork deal) If it is not brass, don't worry about it.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: