Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fog lights for a '61
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamthewalrus30
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog lights for a '61 Reply with quote

Frederik wrote:
And your headlight glass also shows the true story of another myth, that the scripted Bosch logo lens is a tell sign for it being a 50's glass. Also not true as your 1964 or later lens shows. It would be interesting to know the date code on it.

Ok I did this for you! lol I was real hesitate to do it, because who knows who could happen from a few years of not removing these.

Everything went smooth and they went back on ok.

so the number is 142

I'm really sad that the yellow tint is flaking off.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Costa66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog lights for a '61 Reply with quote

Have a local shop install STEK yellow PPF(paint protection film) on the lens'. Looks as good as real yellow glass and will outlast whatever you had on there before. I've installed it and it looks PERFECT.

EDIT: On second thought, if the lens was flat without raised lettering it would work. Not sure how proud the lettering is.

Josh
iamthewalrus30
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog lights for a '61 Reply with quote

Costa66 wrote:
Have a local shop install STEK yellow PPF(paint protection film) on the lens'. Looks as good as real yellow glass and will outlast whatever you had on there before. I've installed it and it looks PERFECT.

EDIT: On second thought, if the lens was flat without raised lettering it would work. Not sure how proud the lettering is.

Josh

Thanks for the tip! I'll look into something like that.. or just ride with them like this for a long time. I'm assuming these were original lenses from the 60's with the original tint and I'm guessing they never saw the sun until I bought them and installed them on my bug. 2 weeks of sunshine, the tint started to ripple.
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fog lights for a '61 Reply with quote

The yellow on those lenses is not original. If it were made yellow, the glass would have been dyed "in the mass". Somebody added the tint after they were made.
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fog lights for a '61 Reply with quote

Mos6502 wrote:
The yellow on those lenses is not original. If it were made yellow, the glass would have been dyed "in the mass". Somebody added the tint after they were made.

No they were all tinted originally
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Fog lights for a '61 Reply with quote

I've never seen one peel like that.
iamthewalrus30
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Fog lights for a '61 Reply with quote

Frederik wrote:
Mos6502 wrote:

No they were all tinted originally

Any idea on the date from the code I found? 142
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog lights for a '61 Reply with quote

Going by this chart my best guess is february 1981. Most glass I've seen from the 60s (after 64) have had the year for first number and quarter for the next two. For example 414 = 2nd quarter 1964 or 713 = first quarter 1967. None of the 60s (or 70s) numbers match yours though.

Last edited by Frederik on Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog lights for a '61 Reply with quote

As to the tint, I have some lenses that that the tint have aged, cracked or chipped
off too and thought about how to restore them. To re-paint them would accually be an "originall" restoration. Hobby stores have translucent glass paint I've thought off using with a paintbrush and then it gets harden in an oven. There is also of course the off the shelf lights lens tint in spray cans but it is hard to find in yellow here and the oven hardened stuff sounds more resistent.
Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Fog lights for a '61 Reply with quote

I'll add this photos in this fog light thread as well. This is a chapter on adding Bosch lights (and loud horn or fanfare horns) from Bosch internal news paper (Robo in Sweden back then) 1954. Then they used the LE/NE LE/EF series older fog lights.

Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Fog lights for a '61 Reply with quote

And from the Bosch parts list from 1955

Fog lights availible:

Driving lights:

Mounts and generic wire diagram:

Frederik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog lights for a '61 Reply with quote

To add some more history on Bosch fog lights (pre-war to late 40's).

This is from the 1947 Bosch parts book. The fog (-and) curve lights listed by this time was the large model NE 170 (170mm glass) and the small model NE 120 (120mm glass). There were other Bosch lights listed as well, but they were not fogs but driving/spot lights, side lights, signal lights etc. The 170mm was BIG and if a fog was fitted to a small car as the VW probably NE 120 was used (and the house on it was 160mm and more bulky than later small models).

NE 120/16 was fitted with a fluted clear glass
NR 120/18 was fitted with a fluted yellow glass

This is a NE 120/18 early fog light I have with date code 12S - december 1937 (so they were att least in production pre-war to 1947).

A fun fact is that on the early fog lights the yellow glass was accually yellow glass made of uranium glass (fluoresces bright green under ultraviolet light). On later 50's yellow fogs the glass was just a clear glass tinted with a translucent yellow coat on the inside (uranium was used elsewhere during the cold war...).

This is how it looks under a UV-light

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: