Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any accurate NON digital readout cylinder head temp gauges?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Any accurate NON digital readout cylinder head temp gauges? Reply with quote

So we all know from the forum that Dakota’s digital CHT is an excellent accurate gauge that many have used with success on an Aircooled VW. For those that simply don’t like the look of a digital faced gauge in a pre-1980 vehicle, does anyone make a nice CHT gauge that does not have a digital readout? I see Aircraft Spruce has quite a few needle swept gauges, but has anyone used anything other than Dakota/VDO?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Any accurate NON digital readout cylinder head temp gauges? Reply with quote

I dont know how accurate it as as I have yet to install it but this is what I'm going be using. I bought one and plan to make a custom face for in so that all my gauges match the original VW speedo font for '67. Sorry this isn't much help... but its is supposed to be accurate to +5/-5% and made in USA. Comes with the sender. If it turns out to be total junk I'm going to call AutoMeter and give them a hassle... Laughing the company has been around a while and seem to have good reviews in general.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/AutoMeter-3336-Spor...-sQAvD_BwE
saw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Any accurate NON digital readout cylinder head temp gauges? Reply with quote

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/CHT_gauges.php?clickkey=4628439

I have used a couple of these Micro 1000 cht gauges from Aircraft Spruce. They are also temperature compensated. They have the same gauge with a round bezel. The face matches very closely to the other VDO gauges I’m using. Have had one for about 10 years no problems at all. You order gauge, leads and temp probe separately.

I’ve had one in my buggy for about 10 years without a single problem. The one thing I do notice is how much price has went up in 10 years Shocked
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Any accurate NON digital readout cylinder head temp gauges? Reply with quote

saw2 wrote:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/CHT_gauges.php?clickkey=4628439

I have used a couple of these Micro 1000 cht gauges from Aircraft Spruce. They are also temperature compensated. They have the same gauge with a round bezel. The face matches very closely to the other VDO gauges I’m using. Have had one for about 10 years no problems at all. You order gauge, leads and temp probe separately.

I’ve had one in my buggy for about 10 years without a single problem. The one thing I do notice is how much price has went up in 10 years Shocked

Beat me to it.....but if you look around in their inventory of "compensated" gauges"...there are a couple of better ones. I am missing my page where I stored all of teh part numbers that are worth using....or I mis-named it Rolling Eyes

Let me look.

The problem is getting a compensated gauge, with useful increments of about 25* per hash mark (ideal) , a back-lighting option...and a size thats about 2" to 2.125"....or even 2.25"....and teh ability to use an extended sensor wire.

And...some are square face plate with four screws...some are round with back mounting.

Ah...found it.

Westach makes a "dual" CHT gauge. So you can read a TC from both heads. Its 2" diameter....it compensated so its accurate. It has increments of 1 to 6 X 100*...so it reads 100* to 600* F. And ist back-lit.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/in/chtgauges_westach/westach_2dc8.php

You can actually buy the gauge from Westach for cheaper than you can at Aircraft spruce...but check to make sure what all it includes before walking away from Aircraft spruce.
https://www.westach.com/product-page/2dc8
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Michael1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Any accurate NON digital readout cylinder head temp gauges? Reply with quote

https://www.csp-shop.de/elektrik/instrumente/zylinderkopftemperatur-instrumente/

Csp has them
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Any accurate NON digital readout cylinder head temp gauges? Reply with quote

ISSPRO are good, use them on turbo diesel trucks.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Any accurate NON digital readout cylinder head temp gauges? Reply with quote

Though its bottom rung I'm sure compared to the others mentioned, here is what I am using:

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C10%2D310%2D901%2DT1

EDIT: sorry I do see that this is "VDO style" and you had asked about gauges other than Dakota/VDO
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Any accurate NON digital readout cylinder head temp gauges? Reply with quote

I have used "old school" Stewart Warner temperature gauge and sender from Harley Davidson or Corvair. You can find them cheap NOS on fleabay. Checked with electronic point and click thermometer and they are spot on.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Any accurate NON digital readout cylinder head temp gauges? Reply with quote

I run this Falcon gauge from aircraftspruce
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/smicrocht6.php?clickkey=9451
I like it much more than the VDO gauge it replaced. They also offer a special extension lead for the thermocouples
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Any accurate NON digital readout cylinder head temp gauges? Reply with quote

These are also very good, made in MI. Mostly digital though

http://thesensorconnection.com/category/egt-electronics/meters-displays
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Any accurate NON digital readout cylinder head temp gauges? Reply with quote

OK....to help this thread out a little....excellent thread by the way....

Here are the "Requirements" a CHT gauge MUST have.....both to be useful for an aircooled VW and....to kind of match what the OP in this thread was looking for.

1. It needs to reach at minimum 500*F (260*C). Bear in mind that for a daily driver 400*F...is HOT....too hot if it stays pegged there....and way to hot if it goes over 425* F for just short spurts of time. 385*F steady....is common and good.

2. Based on the above....It needs to have increments of 25* F. to about 33*F (moving in quarters or thirds)...so you can see where you are. If it moves in 100*F lumps....you may be at 450 or even 500 without knowing where you really are.

If 400* is hot....then having jumps of 50*...you can be waaaay too hot before you see the needle move at all. 25* increments would be ideal.

3. Accuracy....really as many people will tell you...if its thermistor based....a CHT is really only a "trend" indicator. However if its thermocouple based....it SHOULD BE accurate enough and quick enough in response time to tell you the temperature within 1*F.......IF..... the CHT contact point is in the right location .....and IF......the gauge is cold/hot junction COMPENSATED.

For those who do not know...cheap gauges like the VDO ....DO NOT HAVE COMPENSATION. Which means.....the higher difference in the ambient air temperature at the cold point on the circuit board inside of the actual gauge...versus the hot junction at the cylinder head temp sensor TC.....the farther off the gauge will be.

It is not uncommon for uncompensated CHT gauges to be off 50* to 100*+ in cold weather ....in a VW.

4. Ideally....it should be back-lighted....but thats just me.

So....

evanfrucht said:

Quote:
I dont know how accurate it as as I have yet to install it but this is what I'm going be using. I bought one and plan to make a custom face for in so that all my gauges match the original VW speedo font for '67. Sorry this isn't much help... but its is supposed to be accurate to +5/-5% and made in USA. Comes with the sender. If it turns out to be total junk I'm going to call AutoMeter and give them a hassle... Laughing the company has been around a while and seem to have good reviews in general.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/AutoMeter-3336-Spor...-sQAvD_BwE

Thank you for this post! I had not heard of this gauge....and.....From what I can find in blurbs here and there about the Autometer 3336 CHT gauge....it should be temperature compensated...so thats good. Its back-lit...thats good.

BUT....it only goes to 340* F. (170* C) Our heads will be hotter than that when our engines are fully warmed up. This gauge is made for water cooled cars only....not really useful for aircooled engines.

esde said:

Quote:
I run this Falcon gauge from aircraftspruce
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/smicrocht6.php?clickkey=9451
I like it much more than the VDO gauge it replaced. They also offer a special extension lead for the thermocouples

Yes...it IS an excellent gauge...but its only two drawbacks are that its NOT temperature compensated and its not back-lit.

Bear in mind...if you live in someplace like California...or only drive your car when its warm or temperate weather....and your gauge temp in the dash is not greatly colder than the temperature the wires run through....then NOT being compensated may not be a big deal.......especially if you KNOW...the temperature offset.....and keep it in mind when you look at the dial.

Otherwise this gauge IS accurate....but it will have a temperature offset that doers vary by what the temperature at the gauge location is.

fl59bug said:

Quote:
Though its bottom rung I'm sure compared to the others mentioned, here is what I am using:

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C10%2D310%2D901%2DT1

EDIT: sorry I do see that this is "VDO style" and you had asked about gauges other than Dakota/VDO

Thats not horrible. Its a knock off of a VDO. Its back lit...has decent increments on the dial....and has the ability to have a long lead wire kit available.
AS long as you keep in mind that its not compensated.....it may be a good deal for the price....especially just to know where you are temp trend wise.

Michael1 said:

Quote:
https://www.csp-shop.de/elektrik/instrumente/zylinderkopftemperatur-instrumente/

Csp has them

See...these look just like the ones above from CIP-1....like a reproduction of the VDO gauge....which is good. The VDO gauges were not ugly or poorly designed.

What I cannot tell from anywhere on that site is whether they are temperature compensated...which would be damn important for that price.

But...they are illuminated and have an illuminated needle....have a double long wire long enough for a bus. If they are compensated...its a good deal.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Ray
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Any accurate NON digital readout cylinder head temp gauges? Reply with quote

Isn't it possible the get the car cooling well enough where the heads wont get past 340? I had the same concern but I'm trying to keep head temps under 340 if possible. I'm hoping to keep the gauge from maxing out. I have done hoover mods, if that makes any difference lol.

Isn't 275-325 sort of the sweet spot for head temps? On an air cooled engine

I know many people get away with 375ish.... but isnt 400+ basically starting to ask for trouble?

I never monitored my head temps before so I'm seriously asking

But I have read through tons of posts on various head temp threads here. And it seems to me 90% of people are running head temps under 325.

Oh well, I bought it already... once I get the engine running I'll get an infrared thermometer or whatever the best tool is for monitoring head temps (aside from a gauge) and try to find out how hot I'm running after a long hard drive. And maybe I'll install the gauge too and just see what it says. Or maybe I can mount it somewhere other than that spark plug and figure out what the relationship between those two temps is.... that way I'll atleast have an idea of what's going on back there.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Any accurate NON digital readout cylinder head temp gauges? Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
Isn't it possible the get the car cooling well enough where the heads wont get past 340? I had the same concern but I'm trying to keep head temps under 340 if possible. I'm hoping to keep the gauge from maxing out. I have done hoover mods, if that makes any difference lol.

Isn't 275-325 sort of the sweet spot for head temps? On an air cooled engine

I know many people get away with 375ish.... but isnt 400+ basically starting to ask for trouble?

I never monitored my head temps before so I'm seriously asking

But I have read through tons of posts on various head temp threads here. And it seems to me 90% of people are running head temps under 325.

Oh well, I bought it already... once I get the engine running I'll get an infrared thermometer or whatever the best tool is for monitoring head temps (aside from a gauge) and try to find out how hot I'm running after a long hard drive. And maybe I'll install the gauge too and just see what it says. Or maybe I can mount it somewhere other than that spark plug and figure out what the relationship between those two temps is.... that way I'll atleast have an idea of what's going on back there.

I may have missed something....but as far as I know ...the Hoover mods are actually about oil right? The oil temp has virtually nothing to do with cylinder head temperature.

Someone correct me if I am wrong. Other than cleaning flashing out of the fins....type 4 engines ......which are what I work on....do not need Hoover mods at all. They came from the factory with all of it.

I dont know anyone running head temps under 325-350 F. ...especially in hot areas...Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Florida, Georgia, New Mexico, Arizona.

Yes....400*F...IS TOO HOT...in my opinion and experience.....I fully agree. However...the vast majority of Bay bus owners with type 4 engines...in campers....see steady state 400* all the time. And...its why their valve seats fall out at high miles....when 411/412/914 and 912 cars with type 4 engines...do not readily have that issue.

Also...on type 4 engines like the ones in my 412....with high compression....285*F is about average in cold weather...like 20's outside.

About 325*F is common at highway speeds in the winter. In the summer....350 is average minimum and 375 at peaks in a well tuned engine...with the occasional spike to close to 400* with the hammer down getting on the interstate....but it cools down in a minute or two.

When running steady state...I consider readings of 385*...worth keeping a very close eye on. ...because...yes....400*F is TOO HIGH...to run at for more than a couple minutes at a time.....and because its only a 15*F.difference .....from 385 to 400. Thats too thin of a margin.

This is why I worry about not only thermocouple compensation...but gauge quality. You can have a great thermocouple...accurate to 1* or less...but have a crappy gauge...or a gauge with useless increments so you cant tell if you are at 375 or 400...or 400 or 425.

The problem with these engines...VW engines...is that you CAN easily be over 400...like when your fan belt breaks and you didn't know it....or when a rag gets sucked ito the fan.... and if your gauge stops showing temperature at just warmed up levels...it cannot tell you when something is wrong.

But...since you have it...play with it. It may have some usefulness. It may tell you something.

I used to hate the old Ford dash gauges in the 1970's. You know...white lines and needle....and no numbers...just a red zone at the right hand end. It took a while to realize that they were just fine. You dont need to know the exact number in that case....just know that when it gets to the red....stop the engine.

I figure they could have more easily and cheaply just used a thermistor and an idiot light. Ray
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Any accurate NON digital readout cylinder head temp gauges? Reply with quote

I like the digital because of the easy to read display. Analogs you can be off by 50 degrees just looking at it at an angle, poor resolution.

Are the thermocouple leads typically long enough to reach a Bus?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Any accurate NON digital readout cylinder head temp gauges? Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
I like the digital because of the easy to read display. Analogs you can be off by 50 degrees just looking at it at an angle, poor resolution.

Are the thermocouple leads typically long enough to reach a Bus?

Yes...there is that problem (parallax).....digital gauges have that advantage.

However...if your digital gauge does not have a compensated thermocouple....its just as inaccurate as an analog gauge with an uncompensated thermocouple.

And....there are no parallax issues if the gauge is properly installed....which means facing the driver within about 5*.

So the digital one can be simply installed flat ...the analog must have a beveled bezel (say that three times fast!). Ray
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Any accurate NON digital readout cylinder head temp gauges? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. I’m not against a Dakota, or a VDO gauge. I’m just not fond of the digital readout of the Dakota, and every listing I’ve come across for the VDO gauge has it being discontinued. Those were the two most common, and I was just curious as to what else may be available. I seem to remember the VDO gauges weren’t compensated, but could still be useful if you are aware of how this may change the gauge readings during different ambient temps.

I saw the Autometer gauge, and although you don’t want an Aircooled head running 400+ degrees for long, I’m not sure it’s range is high enough. I found the CIP gauge later last night, and the CSP gauge looks nice as well. The dual temp Falcon gauge looks interesting as well. I think the Micro 1000 gauges may be the nicest for accuracy, and have the appearance not too far out of the ordinary. I still may see what I can find used/NOS for a VDO, and never thought of a Stewart Warner from a Corvair.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Any accurate NON digital readout cylinder head temp gauges? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I’m not against a Dakota, or a VDO gauge. I’m just not fond of the digital readout of the Dakota, and every listing I’ve come across for the VDO gauge has it being discontinued. Those were the two most common, and I was just curious as to what else may be available. I seem to remember the VDO gauges weren’t compensated, but could still be useful if you are aware of how this may change the gauge readings during different ambient temps.

I saw the Autometer gauge, and although you don’t want an Aircooled head running 400+ degrees for long, I’m not sure it’s range is high enough. I found the CIP gauge later last night, and the CSP gauge looks nice as well. The dual temp Falcon gauge looks interesting as well. I think the Micro 1000 gauges may be the nicest for accuracy, and have the appearance not too far out of the ordinary. I still may see what I can find used/NOS for a VDO, and never thought of a Stewart Warner from a Corvair.

I have used the VDO gauges. Anything well built and similar.....can be good enough.

The basic VDO gauges....back in the day....20 plus years ago.....were a well built gauge.

However.....most basic, uncompensated CHT gauges are only accurate when the cold junction, which is usually built into the gauge itself (with the hot junction being crimped into the spatk plug adapter ring)......is at about 70°. Each gauge brand/type is built a little differently and has a specific "equalization" temperature.

However....as the cold junction temperature goes up inside the car...eapecially say....in the dash where the gauge is mounted....say like on a 100° day with the windows down....ambient at say 85° and dash temp at maybe 125°......your gauge reading will read LOWER than what the actual temperature is at the ring terminal under the spark plug.

It could be as low as 25-30°.....it can be as much as a 100° difference.....depending on the gauge and the scale range. If memory serves....and its been a long time.....on 100° days living in Dallas....my VDO was off by about 50-60° F....lower than actual.

In the winter.....when it was not cold enough to turn on the gas furnace on a short hop....with about 45° temperature in the cabin.....the gauge would read about 70° too high.

Once I knew this.....I could quickly glance and add or subtract. In the winter.....even cold outside like 20°......I would crank up the heater....and it did not take long to get the inside of the car to a nice 75°. With a little time to get the dash up to temp.....I could be sure that what i was reading was pretty close to accurate.

So how did I figure this out? Well....first.....and this was early 90s.....someone had to tell me this was even an issue! Laughing

Then the easiest way was to run a K type thermocouple to the same crimp ring.....which I screwed up one doing this and had to buy another. I pried the crimp open.....and you could see the little weld bead on the VDO TC signal wire. I put the spare TC wire into the crikp barrel alongside and recrimped both.

The new TC ....which was short....ran to my fluke meter in the back seat.....which is compensated....so it shows actual temperature.

I taped a second TC to the side of the gauge case. I could run the engine, drive...look in the rearview and see the fluke propped up on the back seat....and read the real temp and compare with the gauge reading.
Stop at a light....and plug in the gauge body TC to the fluke....and see what the gauge body temp causes it to read.

THAT difference.....was considerable.

This is why I mention "dash" temperature. The cold junction is IN THE GAUGE. So in the winter....you may be feely toasty.....heat exchangers finally melting your sneakers....anx UOU are warm.....but the cars been sitting all night. The dash and gauge cluster were 20°. You need to get an idea of how long of toasty driving it takes to get that gauge to the same temperature.

Same problem in the summer....but worse. Because.....you come outside.....the cars been sitting in the sun....locked with the windows up.....and the dash on a 100° day....can be 150°F...easy. The gauge will be too.
Once you start driving, even with the windows down.....that black dash with the sun beating on it....will rarely get below 110°-120°F.....and neither will the gauge cold junction. It will have a big offset.

But with just a little work....and TC's are dirt cheap.....and you probably have a voltmeter with a temperature function.......you can learn your basic offsets

So once you figure out the offsets of your uncompensated gauge. the real key is having an idea of what the temperature of the cabin is and what the actual temperature of the gauge case is......in various weather.

If you do that.....you can have a pretty good idea of your CHT.....within about 25°.....even with a cheap basic VDO.

In many respects....its no different than some of the other manual "charms" of driving these cars......so I am not talking down on nice uncompensated gauges.

But these days......when my car gets back on the road....it will have a couple of added "manual-isms".....that it did not have from the factory.

1. It will have a manual, cable controlled auxiliary air regulator for the fuel injection choke.
2. It will have a manual CHT resistance selection knob on the dash.....that I will simply match to ACTUAL CHT for warm up.
3. It "may" end up with manual cable actuated temp control flaps with a closed warning light

Thats a lot more manual things to deal with....a lot to pay attention to....and #2 especially requires a little more accuracy from the CHT gauge

.....I have a couple of other qualifications for the gauges. For me........if I can f8nd oje tjat sort of matches the gauges....like an older VDO cockpit.....and its compensated....COOL!. But cor the most part....those I find that are compensated....are either square face mount, or totally wrong size.....or digital readout....or totally ugly.
If I am going to spend money on a 2.125" compensated gauge.....and its going to not match exactly....bezel style or number font......I would rather havd it unique and stand al9ne neough as a special gauge.. like tbe Westach or the Falcon.

Ray
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Any accurate NON digital readout cylinder head temp gauges? Reply with quote

I'm also not a fan of digital gauges, at least not for vintage automobiles. I toyed with the idea of using the Autometer gauge since all of my other gauges are Autometer, but as noted above, it only goes to 340 degrees F. In the end, I decided to go with this one:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I got it from here: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/CHTDUAL_gauges.php

It's the Micro 1000 dual CHT gauge, model 10-01429.

The good: It's temp compensated, goes to 600 degrees F, can measure two cylinder heads at the same time, and is back-lit.

The mediocre: The face only shows increments of 66 degrees F, and mine wasn't 100% accurate straight out of the box. Both needles were spot on up to 210 degrees F (the boiling water test), but when I ran it up to 400 degrees F (the hot oil test), one needle read 20 degrees low, and the other read 50 degrees low. After a bit of clever tinkering, I got both needles to read accurately between 250 degrees and 400 degrees, at the expense of being off at temps below 250 degrees F. I can live with that.

The bad: It only comes with a square bezel, which doesn't match any of my other gauges (fortunately, I had a chunk of aluminum in the scrap drawer to fabricate a round bezel for it to better match the Autometers). And the light from the back light doesn't give the same level of illumination as the rest of my gauges (which annoys the hell out of me!), so I'll have to do something about that.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. It's really only good for "trending", but being able to read both cylinder heads accurately with temperature compensation is nice.

Oh, the red areas on the dial weren't like that from the manufacturer; I painted that on, myself.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Any accurate NON digital readout cylinder head temp gauges? Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
The bad: It only comes with a square bezel, which doesn't match any of my other gauges (fortunately, I had a chunk of aluminum in the scrap drawer to fabricate a round bezel for it to better match the Autometers). And the light from the back light doesn't give same level of illumination as the rest of my gauges (which annoys the hell out of me!), so I'll have to do something about that.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. It's really only good for "trending", but being able to read both cylinder heads accurately with temperature compensation is nice.

Oh, the red areas on the dial weren't like that from the manufacturer; I painted that on, myself.

Hmmm...., never thought about a different level of illumination.

How did you go about painting the face? Is it an open gauge, or did you disassemble it?

I was really leaning towards the CSP gauges till I found out they were made by Smith. While the CHT gauge may work great, I was also looking at matching gauges, and the Smith oil temp sender is less than desirable for accuracy from ones I’ve used on English vehicles.

It’s looking more, and more like finding a NOS VDO for a gauge match, or sticking one of the Dakota/Micro gauges in the glove box to hide while tuning the engine.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Any accurate NON digital readout cylinder head temp gauges? Reply with quote

Quote:
The bad: It only comes with a square bezel, which doesn't match any of my other gauges (fortunately, I had a chunk of aluminum in the scrap drawer to fabricate a round bezel for it to better match the Autometers). And the light from the back light doesn't give the same level of illumination as the rest of my gauges (which annoys the hell out of me!), so I'll have to do something about that.

These two reasons...are MAINLY the reasons why I looked at other models.

I saw a photo somewhere of the lighting on one of these and its not well lit...but it is lit.
And...the square pattern mounting was difficult for me to get my head wrapped around. I figured if I bought one ...I would trim off the ears and find or make a round bezel.

I liked the Westach 2DC8 a little better. Its round....and I am sure the lighting is probably not much better....but the increments are 25*F between 100* marks. It goes to 700*F

The problem is usually the gauge and not the thermocouple. The Westach uses a a J type. I think most of them do.

I have not bought one yet...so I dont know other than what others have told me.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/in/chtgauges_westach/westach_2dc8.php

The other issue...is matching TC's....and connectors.....and clamping on the ring terminal end...to make sure they are reading properly.

I am digging through my documents....somewhere I found one of these ...or a lighting kit for one of these ...that used an "edge-lit" bezel....for perfect illumination. I will find it and post it.

Ah...these are the guys...if you can find a round gauge that works for you....their lighting system is very cool.
http://www.umainstruments.com/

But again...square gauges https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/in/chtgauges_uma/uma10-05717-20.php

Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: