Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Filling the propane tank
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Filling the propane tank Reply with quote

Scottn59c wrote:

What are folks doing to fill theirs these days?

Gas stations, U-Hauls, RV dealers and shops, RV parks, etc. I've never had an issue finding a refill, just with the actual refill process, which can sometimes be a PITA.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Filling the propane tank Reply with quote

Scottn59c wrote:
Is there a method to fill the Westy's tank from the 15 or 20 lb cylinders?

Yes you can.
I had a guy at the "propane shop" make me a hose to add Propane to my Westy from a 20lb BBQ type tank.
I have to hold the tank upside-down to get the propane to flow.
And there4 are other tricks you'll need to know to transfer propane with the propane's own vapor pressure.

I can't find a link for you at the moment but it's been discussed on TheSamba many times.
There are lots of pics of the fittings that you need to buy.
Maybe someone else can help you to find them.
I think I even posted a pic of the hose but I can't find it for some reason.
But my fill hose is stashed in my van,,,,,
I can post a pic if you want, LMK. Wink

I have never had trouble finding places to fill propane in my van.
Maybe when I'm in a huge hurry....there's none to be found.

Keep an eye peeled for the big white propane tanks near a gas station.
Usually the tank is all the way across the lot, far from the office. (for safety)
Then look up at their sign, where they tell you "propane tanks filled".
They're hiding everywhere in plain sight.

U-haul often fills propane tanks.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Filling the propane tank Reply with quote

I carry a 1 pound can adapter for emergency coffee. Have never used it. Over time, we have found that 2 weeks is easy between fills. That's making coffee in the am and dinner every night. Fridge runs 24/7. I'm sure it would go 3 weeks if pressed.

Anyhow, after a week, I start to pay attention for propane fill stations. Hardware stores often refill propane tanks. I believe most KOA campgrounds do. So I end up filling more often than I actually need to.

When it gets a little stressful is when you are at the end of the 2 weeks and are going off grid for a few days. One way we stretch the propane is to use power if we happen to be at a campground with hookups. I charge the batteries to spec and switch the fridge over.

None of this helps your question though. I've never had a problem getting a fill. I have a rug I put down for the attendant and always tip.
Goldie_Vawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Filling the propane tank Reply with quote

One more question on the propane tanks...

HI new Samba member and new 85 Westy owner here!! Smile

I am looking to replace only the Cavagna regulator on the new LP propane tank from Go-Westy.

Has anyone on here gotten one of these new tanks recently? Do they come with a spec sheet for the gas regulator? I see they sell them individually, but my company sells regulators so I was looking to see if i could get a Fisher regulator that meets all the specs for a lower price.

When you install a new tank, do you have to get the whole thing certified somewhere? I have read you have to get the old and new tanks purged from a RV shop... what else?

Thanks!!
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Filling the propane tank Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Ace Hardware is my 'go-to'. Many truck stops also offer bulk sale of LP - e.g. Love's.

I thought Love's was a sure bet. Got the oldest guy to come out and get his old knees down there and try. He knew exactly what I had, how much it would take, and the sequence. However, the Fill hose nozzle was about 2 inches too short to make it to the fill valve. I got down there with him and sure enough, damn thing WAS too short. And, from my view, was WAY old hardware. Something I had NOT expected from Love's.
VWagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Filling the propane tank Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Scottn59c wrote:

What are folks doing to fill theirs these days?

Gas stations, U-Hauls, RV dealers and shops, RV parks, etc. I've never had an issue finding a refill, just with the actual refill process, which can sometimes be a PITA.

This weekend in Charlotte I went to 2 different U-Hauls where I had gotten refills in the past and they refused to fill it. One cited "No Stamped Reinspection Date on the tank" and the other attendant said that they don't connect to fill valves that are under the vehicle. What a load of crap but that's what it seems to be coming to with these old set-ups. I do understand the recertification inspection date issue. I had the tank off about 6 years ago and cleaned and painted it and it was inspected by a tech at a supplier but he didn't stamp it, just looked at it and filled it.
I like the DYI idea of refilling them yourself from 20lb tanks and will explore that possibility but till then I'll keep searchin'.
87 Syncro GL
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Filling the propane tank Reply with quote

VWagabond wrote:
This weekend in Charlotte I went to 2 different U-Hauls where I had gotten refills in the past and they refused to fill it. One cited "No Stamped Reinspection Date on the tank" and the other attendant said that they don't connect to fill valves that are under the vehicle.

Before giving up, I'd visit one of the larger RV dealers in your area.
2016 Golf GTI S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Filling the propane tank Reply with quote

Is periodic reinspection even required on these tanks? I realize it is on the usual BBQ style tanks which have a much thinner wall but thought ones meeting the specs for mounting below the vehicle did not require recertification?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Filling the propane tank Reply with quote

Odd, my last fill was at a local u-haul place. No problems getting it filled, but the attendant took a picture when he was done of the tank. I wonder if maybe u-haul had a problem and are maybe trying to limit liability.

My tank has no inspection stamping and the original welded tag is gone. Never been refused a fill. Compared to a bbq tank, these tanks are quite a bit more solid. Many trailers use bbq tanks. So there maybe some confusion on policy.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Filling the propane tank Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Is periodic reinspection even required on these tanks? I realize it is on the usual BBQ style tanks which have a much thinner wall but thought ones meeting the specs for mounting below the vehicle did not require recertification?

Portable DOT tanks, yes; permanently-installed ASME tanks, no.

RV propane tanks, or DOT cylinders, must be filled at certified filling stations by trained technicians. Every ten years, an RV propane tank or DOT cylinder used on a travel trailer or 5th Wheel must be recertified, as well as inspected for working condition after each subsequent filling. Any propane supplier should be able to clarify the rules and advise you where (in the local area) you can get your tank recertified.

Motorhomes, though, have installed ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) tanks, not DOT tanks. ASME tanks are not required to be re-certified since they are permanently installed. But DOT/TC cylinders, both vertical and horizontal, because they can be removed, transported and filled independently, do qualify for periodic re-certification. All propane containers, tanks and cylinders, however, should be periodically inspected, cleaned and tested for leaks. All of which should be considered preventive maintenance common sense.

https://www.rvtravel.com/how-often-do-you-have-to-re-certify-propane-tanks/

Perhaps the NC U-Haul attendants aren't aware that there are two different types of tanks.
2016 Golf GTI S
fishgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Filling the propane tank Reply with quote

VWagabond wrote:

This weekend in Charlotte I went to 2 different U-Hauls where I had gotten refills in the past and they refused to fill it. One cited "No Stamped Reinspection Date on the tank" and the other attendant said that they don't connect to fill valves that are under the vehicle. What a load of crap but that's what it seems to be coming to with these old set-ups. I do understand the recertification inspection date issue. I had the tank off about 6 years ago and cleaned and painted it and it was inspected by a tech at a supplier but he didn't stamp it, just looked at it and filled it.
I like the DYI idea of refilling them yourself from 20lb tanks and will explore that possibility but till then I'll keep searchin'.

UHauls changed their policies so tanks have to be no older than 10 years, with the tag. Older tanks are out of luck.

Try RV dealers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Filling the propane tank Reply with quote

However, if you say it's an alternative fuel tank, they'll not only refill it but charge a lower price for the propane. No quibble about age of tank, either, according to the folk at my local U-haul.

https://www.uhaul.com/Propane/AutoGas/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: