Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring harness connectors - driving me nuts!
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Wiring harness connectors - driving me nuts! Reply with quote

I've been working on a wiring project on my '06 Jeep Wrangler and it made me appreciate the simplicity of the wiring in our ACVW's. It drives me nuts how many different types of wiring connectors there were on my Jeep project...each with their own unique ways to get them to disconnect. And then I had to remove pins from some of them....that's a whole other adventure!

Now I get to put it all back together.....oh, boy!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness connectors - driving me nuts! Reply with quote

That's a real pet peeve of mine. I wish the whole auto industry would settle on a single type, like they did with the OBDII port, but I'd be happy if VAG would just use a single type on any one of their models.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness connectors - driving me nuts! Reply with quote

They use different connectors all over the place ......because they are using universal parts.

For instance in the vAG fuel injection systems they are using parts selected by basic function and basic fit instead of designing their own parts to only fit their cars like they did in the past. Saves a TON of money.

Also if you look at the "type" of connectors....they are all typically in the same connector family now at least (mostly dual cantilever)...but they have several sizes of them for small and large plug housings.

While this pricey set will take care of everything in modern VAG, BMW, Mercedes and Volvo etc....

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben-parts/europea...FIEALw_wcB

This cheap ass poorly made set works almost as well and has pinout tools for EVERYTHING...even your home computer and laptop.

https://www.amazon.com/Terminal-Ejector-Connector-...&psc=1

As for the Jeep problem.....same issues as GM. General motors had THE worst known fuel injection system harnesses and pin assemblies in the world...and least reliable....tons of screwy terminal types....UNTIL...about 2000 to 2002 when they finally made a manufacturing deal with Tyco/AMP to manufacture and use the EV-1 style dual cantilever terminal......like everyone else in the world had been using since it came out in 1974.

This was strictly because GM refused to pay the patent royalty like everyone else.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness connectors - driving me nuts! Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
They use different connectors all over the place ......because they are using universal parts.

For instance in the vAG fuel injection systems they are using parts selected by basic function and basic fit instead of designing their own parts to only fit their cars like they did in the past. Saves a TON of money.

Also if you look at the "type" of connectors....they are all typically in the same connector family now at least (mostly dual cantilever)...but they have several sizes of them for small and large plug housings.

While this pricey set will take care of everything in modern VAG, BMW, Mercedes and Volvo etc....

This cheap ass poorly made set works almost as well and has pinout tools for EVERYTHING...even your home computer and laptop.

As for the Jeep problem.....same issues as GM. General motors had THE worst known fuel injection system harnesses and pin assemblies in the world...and least reliable....tons of screwy terminal types....UNTIL...about 2000 to 2002 when they finally made a manufacturing deal with Tyco/AMP to manufacture and use the EV-1 style dual cantilever terminal......like everyone else in the world had been using since it came out in 1974.

This was strictly because GM refused to pay the patent royalty like everyone else.

Ray

I used the cheap ass Amazon set for my Jeep project. First time for me removing pins so I had no idea which of the probes to use for the different plug connector styles. You Tube guides weren't much help. I managed to figure out all but one of them....ended up cutting it with a Dremel to get the one pin I needed.
Tvättbjörn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness connectors - driving me nuts! Reply with quote

i am using this kit. Some tool trucks sell it also at a higher price. I have seen the same kit as high as $120 many years ago. Just with different labels.

https://www.amazon.com/YSTOOL-Terminal-Universal-C...&psc=1
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness connectors - driving me nuts! Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

Ray

Ray…I’ve always wanted to be able to source the connectors without having to buy a whole wiring harness.

Volvos have an 8 pin yellow accessory cantilever plug in a Tetris style, I have never been able to find the matching male one,though. Amphenol is MFG, but the catalog is a rabbit hole.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness connectors - driving me nuts! Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Ray

Ray…I’ve always wanted to be able to source the connectors without having to buy a whole wiring harness.

Volvos have an 8 pin yellow accessory cantilever plug in a Tetris style, I have never been able to find the matching male one,though. Amphenol is MFG, but the catalog is a rabbit hole.

Have you tried places like Digi Key, Newark and Mouser?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness connectors - driving me nuts! Reply with quote

I'm the terminal and electrical guy in our GM dealer shop. Im the keeper of the master 28 boxes with 24 slots per box.. yeah.. .thats 672 different terminals and seals for GM alone. Those dont include the Bosch kit for the now near extinct (thankfully) Caddy Caterable .. so thats another 4 boxes.. nearly 775 ..
In addition to those .. we now have terminated leads for terminals that are not serviced in the master set.. (so GMs says . Rolling Eyes ) Most are in the master kit.. but seems there are issues with competent hands using crimpers.. they'd rather crimp on the terminal in a controlled environment and let the techs splice them in with a butt connector.

Getting them out of connectors can be a chore.. CPA's TPA's latches locks tabs.. ugh.. Now CPA's are on just about every connector.. (Connector Position Assurance) Just last week I had to re-terminate (65 terminals) an air bag module due to corrosion .. good labor.. but rough on the eyes .. I have no less than 3 pairs of glasses in the tool box ..

Its bad.. or good Think how ever you want to think about it... when the techs in the shop walk up and ask.... "Kenny... do we have this terminal" and I can almost hit the correct box its in every time ..

Im not looking forward to GMs new EV agenda..
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness connectors - driving me nuts! Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
I'm the terminal and electrical guy in our GM dealer shop. Im the keeper of the master 28 boxes with 24 slots per box.. yeah.. .thats 672 different terminals and seals for GM alone. Those dont include the Bosch kit for the now near extinct (thankfully) Caddy Caterable .. so thats another 4 boxes.. nearly 775 ..
In addition to those .. we now have terminated leads for terminals that are not serviced in the master set.. (so GMs says . Rolling Eyes ) Most are in the master kit.. but seems there are issues with competent hands using crimpers.. they'd rather crimp on the terminal in a controlled environment and let the techs splice them in with a butt connector.

Getting them out of connectors can be a chore.. CPA's TPA's latches locks tabs.. ugh.. Now CPA's are on just about every connector.. (Connector Position Assurance) Just last week I had to re-terminate (65 terminals) an air bag module due to corrosion .. good labor.. but rough on the eyes .. I have no less than 3 pairs of glasses in the tool box ..

Its bad.. or good Think how ever you want to think about it... when the techs in the shop walk up and ask.... "Kenny... do we have this terminal" and I can almost hit the correct box its in every time ..

So, it's not just me. Wink
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness connectors - driving me nuts! Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:

Which part ...hahaha
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness connectors - driving me nuts! Reply with quote

I am having a similar issue with the 2-terinal connector for the stock/factory Mitsubishi alternator that Mazda used with my stock 1988 B2200 truck.

Heat and age have made the connector brittle and broken, so for the time being I just used needlenose pliers to "tighten" the two standard 1/4 inch female connectors and then plugged those into the alternator. They seem tight, although now there's just air between the two connectors; I didn't feel like it was worthwhile to crimp an insulated female connector onto one of the wires.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dorman shows a connector which "might" fit (Dorman 85125) but would need to be butt-connected or soldered-on (difficult access) IF it actually fits. I don't know if there's a Mazda connector bin at a dealership which might fit !!!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So if anyone can help me make this more-robust, I'd be interested in any help !!! Thanks.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness connectors - driving me nuts! Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
rcroane wrote:

Which part ...hahaha

Meaning I'm not the only one who gets overwhelmed and confused by the assortment of wiring harness connectors on modern cars.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness connectors - driving me nuts! Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Try working in the test lab of a teir one and having to source terminals and connector bodies across multipel manufacturers. We can usually souce parts in a day or two. Sometimes we will need to source a new odd ball body from Japan or Italy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness connectors - driving me nuts! Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
Meaning I'm not the only one who gets overwhelmed and confused by the assortment of wiring harness connectors on modern cars.

Squeeze tightly and just try to pull apart while doing that in a cramped space. Especially tough after the connector has aged and lost its flexibility....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring harness connectors - driving me nuts! Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
rcroane wrote:

Squeeze tightly and just try to pull apart while doing that in a cramped space. Especially tough after the connector has aged and lost its flexibility....

Not to mention the mechanic... Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: