Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 vw bus dash wiring
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Urglegrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: 1974 vw bus dash wiring Reply with quote

1974 vw bus.

Wiring diagrams are just aimless spaghetti tubes on paper. I have them from the technical section and I’m my book. (Preparing to get smashed in comments)

At the moment I’m trying to put together a dash which nothing came connected. It’s quite the birds nest. I’ve only worked/owned buses 76-83 so I can’t compare with any bus I have.

If anyone has a picture of a late 1973 - early 75 dash that’s be…well, real swell.

I’ve been searching and comparing but I haven’t found a clear picture with the same colored wires that I’m working with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 vw bus dash wiring Reply with quote

The wiring is all the same from 73-79, use that 76 you refer to.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 vw bus dash wiring Reply with quote

Find a colored drawing and use it. The ones for the '76 and '79 are colored and the full drawing is all on one page, making them easier to use.

These current track drawings are easy to use once you become accustomed to them as you can isolate each circuit to a small area of the drawing, instead of following it all across the page(s)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 vw bus dash wiring Reply with quote

I am missing something here. Find the one for your bus, take it to Fedex etc and have it printed on a large piece of paper. The colors for each wire are on it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php

1977 if it helps any.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Urglegrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 vw bus dash wiring Reply with quote

Awesome!
From my 79 I basically got all the lights/positive routed.

The color diagram makes so much more sense. I’ve been looking at my black and white book most of the day so now that I’ve learned a bit more, going back to color really helps.

This bus has so many loose wires. I’ve signed myself up for a forced wiring diagrams learning class.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 vw bus dash wiring Reply with quote

Looks like there is a "merged" version of the diagram that is also in color:

double click slowly to enlarge:

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 vw bus dash wiring Reply with quote

one wire at a time. Print two or more copies on large paper at the local printing shop. One keep clean as a reference. The other one(s) mark off one wire at a time as you check them at both ends. It is like a small puzzle, as you cross off some of the wires on the paper suddenly the rest become clearer and it speeds up. Then there are no more wires to mark off. If there are wires that are not on the chart, try to figure where they run and make a decision whether to keep them etc.. Example, you may find a red wire, or speaker wire that runs to under the rear seat where the PO had something mounted or a speaker but it is gone. Do you keep it, or do you take it out. Your call. It will go quickly and a lot faster than you think. I had visions of it taking me days to do this on my 1977 and instead it was only a few hours. Carb cleaner or acetone on a rag will clean off any oil and grease that makes it hard to see the real wire colors. What looks like a lite brown stripe on dark brown may actually be a lite blue stripe on red when you clean the grime off it.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 vw bus dash wiring Reply with quote

Urglegrew wrote:
The color diagram makes so much more sense. I’ve been looking at my black and white book most of the day so now that I’ve learned a bit more, going back to color really helps.

It's nice that Bentley keeps their manual in print, but it REALLY SUCKS that they changed the fold-out color wiring diagrams to single page divided monochrome images that are smaller.

This is why I source the older manuals on auction sites. I know they contain a few inaccuracies that have been corrected, but they are worth it just for the color wiring diagrams.

Are you listening, Bentley?

A good substitute are the color wiring diagrams that Sambanistas have kindly and lovingly posted in the technical section. But there is nothing like the original versions.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 vw bus dash wiring Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Urglegrew wrote:

It's nice that Bentley keeps their manual in print, but it REALLY SUCKS that they changed the fold-out color wiring diagrams to single page divided monochrome images that are smaller.

This is why I source the older manuals on auction sites. I know they contain a few inaccuracies that have been corrected, but they are worth it just for the color wiring diagrams.

Are you listening, Bentley?

A good substitute are the color wiring diagrams that Sambanistas have kindly and lovingly posted in the technical section. But there is nothing like the original versions.

Yes - the older books to about 1978 printing are better, and have color fold outs. I keep a newer b/w version for the workshop and an older one for reference. All the photos are a better quality as well in the older ones.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 vw bus dash wiring Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Yes - the older books to about 1978 printing are better, and have color fold outs. I keep a newer b/w version for the workshop and an older one for reference. All the photos are a better quality as well in the older ones.

That's funny -- I do the same thing.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Urglegrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 vw bus dash wiring Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. This helped a lot!
Hopefully soon I'll have her rippin on the road
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: