Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

lets see what you < can find wrong with this picture
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinnawagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:29 pm    Post subject: lets see what you < can find wrong with this picture Reply with quote

This engine is targeted to be full enclosed engine compartment you know the cooling crap and rubber seals. using IDF's

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: lets see what you < can find wrong with this picture Reply with quote

The intake manifold and carb are missing!

JK. Looks like something is wonky with the tin.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: lets see what you < can find wrong with this picture Reply with quote

Check inside the tin. Most likely the air deflector is hitting something or needs trimming. You can see it in your photo viewing from the top where the fan shroud goes. It probably is hitting on the face of the head fin or on the studs or upper nuts in the middle.

You usually have to cut and trim the tin and maybe even file your manifolds so the manifolds slide on without interference.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: lets see what you < can find wrong with this picture Reply with quote

Welcome to custom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: lets see what you < can find wrong with this picture Reply with quote

Looks like you should have fit your tin and manifolds before the fancy paint/powder coat.

Brian
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: lets see what you < can find wrong with this picture Reply with quote

This area of the tin work would seem to be a great place to customize - cut , trim, add new material , redo the plug wire seal concept. make a removable section around the plug openings. etc.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: lets see what you < can find wrong with this picture Reply with quote

The old timers would say, "Looks like fitting a sock on a rooster."

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
flat4Imp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: lets see what you < can find wrong with this picture Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:
The old timers would say, "Looks like fitting a sock on a rooster."

Laughing Laughing
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: lets see what you < can find wrong with this picture Reply with quote

This is why you verify fitment before paint.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: lets see what you < can find wrong with this picture Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
Looks like you should have fit your tin and manifolds before the fancy paint/powder coat.

Brian

^^^^^^^
THIS

When building an you need to do a complete mock up first.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: lets see what you < can find wrong with this picture Reply with quote

If your heads have been flycut or you have aftermarket head studs your head studs may be hitting under the tin.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
yinnawagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: lets see what you < can find wrong with this picture Reply with quote

I bought this shitshow, from "send a manifold guy" so you know the price tag. when Buying this I also got an item, which is worst than these. I bought the other crap just, kiss his A$$ hoping for decent job,

this shows the tin at manifold base. The tin is far back as well go.

Last edited by yinnawagon on Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: lets see what you < can find wrong with this picture Reply with quote

Don't blame the guy you bought the parts from. Even factory DP tin must be trimmed and tweaked to fit all dual carb manifolds. All of them. Everybody has the same issues when building a Hot Rod performance engine. That is why you always trial fit everything before sending it off to powder coat.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: lets see what you < can find wrong with this picture Reply with quote

I spent several hours clearancing my manifolds and tins, cutting, grinding, bending, before I could get my IDFs installed. Using 100% stock fuel injection tins. It's just part of the game when modifying these cars.
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: lets see what you < can find wrong with this picture Reply with quote

I have yet to hear a decent technical question.

If making parts from many different manufacturers work together and fit properly is turn-off to you, you're in for a really bad time. Maybe you should stick with 100% stock engine builds.

Now, if you want to know how to make these items fit correctly and work very well together, start asking questions.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KEGZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: lets see what you < can find wrong with this picture Reply with quote

I don’t think anyone here has met some head tin that automagically fit. That stuff has to be manipulated and manhandled. Some much more than others. Ive went to town with some snips many many times. Especially for IDA manifolds. For IDF and DRLAs, I’ve used the handle of a mallet to bend, shape, and clearance.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: lets see what you < can find wrong with this picture Reply with quote

You have a lot of meat in the manifolds to trim down as well, but you need to trim the tins to sit flat and more towards the case.

It’s a trial and error process…trim/test/trim/test until it fits properly
porkchop-rob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: lets see what you < can find wrong with this picture Reply with quote

I also learned this lesson the "hard way" and had to repaint everything after I fitted and trimmed and massaged it all into proper alignment. I assumed it would fit...cause it was all supposed to!

This is probably the biggest lesson in VW ownership compared to the american V8 stuff I grew up with.

I used to assume everything would just bolt on, line up, and play nice. With VW stuff, I now assume everything will need to be welded, bent, clearanced, massaged, tweaked, or forced into submission! And, I mean EVERYTHING.... so many incremental changes to these cars over time and so many aftermarket manufacturers (with varying degrees of QC and give a snot). I just assume I'll have to "Fit" anything that I bought new or didn't take off of the exact same car!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: lets see what you < can find wrong with this picture Reply with quote

A 6" long 3/8 extension, a hammer, a rag and a lot of patience and you might not have to repaint it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: lets see what you < can find wrong with this picture Reply with quote

Standard offset manifolds on mid size head ports can have at least 1/4" of material removed from the top side of the flange. I machine the material off and then beat/cut/bend the shit out of the tin. Standard practice.

If you are getting your undies in a bunch over this.....Just put the tools away now, and sell the whole lot. This is just a very minor issue compared to the rest of an engine build.

Brian
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: