Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mystery coachbuilt
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pegasín
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery coachbuilt Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
Interesting story, and obviously a gifted man when it came to metalwork. One thing that puzzles me, is where the 51/52 Beetle running chassis came from, as it would only have been 4/5 years old at the time, and I can't imagine Morocco was a large market for the Beetle at the time. Maybe a car written off in an accident elsewhere, and the remains exported to Tangiers?

Alfred Hitchcock's "The man who knows too much" (1956), filmed in Morocco and a lot of background VW's and euro cars

Link

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery coachbuilt Reply with quote

Thanks. That's interesting. Saw a nice oval at 6.40. So, Beetles were there for sure in 1956, but what about 1951/52, the year of the chassis? Maybe a tourist's car that was written off? I guess we'll never know, unless the car is found, and the chassis number seen. If left with a film company, they look at things like vehicles as disposable, so the chances of survival wouldn't be high, unless somebody had taken a liking to it, which is more than possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pegasín
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery coachbuilt Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
Thanks. That's interesting. Saw a nice oval at 6.40. So, Beetles were there for sure in 1956, but what about 1951/52, the year of the chassis? Maybe a tourist's car that was written off? I guess we'll never know, unless the car is found, and the chassis number seen. If left with a film company, they look at things like vehicles as disposable, so the chances of survival wouldn't be high, unless somebody had taken a liking to it, which is more than possible.

The owner was portuguese. He was the chief of the workshop of buses coachbuilding. We think his own VW was the chassis for the roadster.

But the first license plate was from Tangier and maybe, the same of the VW: T-13113 (can anybody identifiy the year?)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pegasín
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery coachbuilt Reply with quote

Full history (only spanish)

https://www.escuderia.com/volkswagen-roadster-espe...de-los-50/
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery coachbuilt Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
Thanks. That's interesting. Saw a nice oval at 6.40. So, Beetles were there for sure in 1956, but what about 1951/52, the year of the chassis?

there have been a couple of splits with moroccan provenance. I think one was maroon and owned by a german business man and there's this zwitter
https://hayburner.co.uk/zwitter-1953-vw-split-beetle/

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery coachbuilt Reply with quote

Interesting. From the article, it seems that the 53 car shown was privately imported into Morroco, pressumably, as there was no official importer at that time:

This Beetle was built on the 12th of January 1953, and left the factory two days later heading for Casablanca Morocco care of Craig Stanton & Co. It is believed that someone who worked for Craig Stanton & Co., which was then based in Morocco, bought the Beetle privately and cared for it from day one. Craig Stanton & Co. ended up being an important part of Volkswagen’s history in America, as they helped to set up VW of America (VWOA) and became the first ever US dealership (and eventually one of the largest).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: