Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Opinion on monstaliner for rockers (EDIT:DONE, with pics)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on monstaliner for rockers (EDIT:DONE, with pics Reply with quote

Just curious....how is everyone's Monstaliner holding up?

We may have another interior and exterior project on the horizon.

I am to the point with this product where I am trying different spray guns, reduction amount, custom tinting.

Next for me is to test vs Raptor tintable, at matching colors and final texture.

I am really experimenting with knocking down as much texture as possible, but keeping it looking good.
It doesn't look great when it is laid flat like paint...plus I have seen it chalk when flat.
The texture is needed.

Anymore pictures y'all have would be appreciated.
I would love to see the complete van and some closeups of textures.
Please let us know if you rolled it or sprayed.

Thanks.

Dylan
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on monstaliner for rockers (EDIT:DONE, with pics Reply with quote

Rolled

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on monstaliner for rockers (EDIT:DONE, with pics Reply with quote

insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on monstaliner for rockers (EDIT:DONE, with pics Reply with quote

Which of the ML reds is that SS?
ScottShelley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on monstaliner for rockers (EDIT:DONE, with pics Reply with quote

Bloodbath DF
AKWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on monstaliner for rockers (EDIT:DONE, with pics Reply with quote

I did my rockers 3 years ago with Herculiner. I will say that it is very durable. I purchased the kit and rolled the rocker area of the van as per the instructions. I do love the protection but I do not like the look. It turned out looking more like a gooped on black paint rather than the pics like Monsterliner and users are posting. After I applied the Herculiner it had a gloss finish for the next 12 months or so. It took a long time to dull and give the matte finish I was looking for. It is durable but I would not recommend the Herculiner to others. I also may end up fixing my window rust areas and Monsterliner-ing the entire van. Love the look. Not a close up pic but you can imagie the beating it takes. It is not the final look I was after but the protection of these products is great.

215/70-16's

www.CatchTheKraken.com

"Never go to Alaska as a young man because you'll never be satisfied with any other place as long as you live." -John Muir
jasonpap2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on monstaliner for rockers (EDIT:DONE, with pics Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Just curious....how is everyone's Monstaliner holding up?

Dylan

I don't have an immediate photo but I am going on 2 years now and am happy with it so far. I have learned that it pays to put a thinner coat in areas with sharp concave corners but all in all it looks great and is strong as iron.

Jason
MidwestDrifter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Opinion on monstaliner for rockers (EDIT:DONE, with pics Reply with quote

If you will forgive the non-vanagon content. Here is some monstaliner shots.

This was applied with an undercoating gun thinned 10% and at 50-60psi. three medium coats. It has been sitting in the sun for a few months now. Still looks great. Haven't had a chance to put it through some backroads abuse yet.

If I were doing this again, I think I would try a 20% thin and use a drywall texture gun. If it is too thinned the finish can become flat though.

Epic Road Tripping since 08/05/12 | http://VagariesAbound.blogspot.com/
My Current Build | http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41215
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Opinion on monstaliner for rockers (EDIT:DONE, with pics Reply with quote

Thanks MWD, great info and pictures.
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on monstaliner for rockers (EDIT:DONE, with pics Reply with quote

I am coming up on 3 years and it seems to be holding up fine. No significant chipping. Color has stayed pretty consistent, not as glossy as it was at first, but not chalky. Mine did go over my amateurish body work, and it's not a perfect cover up for that but it's a way better cover than paint and WAY easier to apply nicely (couple hours work max.) That being said, if my van was a nice Westy or Syncro I'm not so sure I would put it on there. But for our utilitarian tin top camper that I'm still only about $2500 into its been great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stahjze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Opinion on monstaliner for rockers (EDIT:DONE, with pics) Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1465468.jpg
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on monstaliner for rockers (EDIT:DONE, with pics) Reply with quote

Stahjze wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1465468.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on monstaliner for rockers (EDIT:DONE, with pics) Reply with quote

Saw that green van in person while visiting the shop @ Gig Harbor. I was told it was sprayed on rather than rolled on. It was much more textured than other ML examples I've seen.
greggearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinion on monstaliner for rockers (EDIT:DONE, with pics) Reply with quote

I don't have a lot of time on mine, but they are the cladding, so stick out a bit further and get a bit more abuse I think. They have been holding up to snow and sand pretty well, and no wear I can find yet.

Happy customer.

1991 Vanagon Syncro Westy

Period Lights, VW & Porsche wheels and Recaro/Scheel Seats for sale

https://www.facebook.com/greggearhead

http://greggearhead.com/soco-swap---september-vw-swap-meet.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Opinion on monstaliner for rockers (EDIT:DONE, with pics) Reply with quote

Is there any weight penalty in regards to covering a whole body vs. the average paint job?

A guy pulled up next to me in a Jeep all done over with it and it looked good until he said he sprays it with WD40 to keep it shiney every once in a while...Just couldn't see the mentality in going to a carwash and having WD40 washing down the drains.
Xtremjeepn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Opinion on monstaliner for rockers (EDIT:DONE, with pics) Reply with quote

I stumbled on this thread (through the other recent Monstaliner threa do)and figured I'd toss a few pictures in for ideas. Sorry, they are all going to be Eurovans Wink (I may toss this in the other thread too so that others searching in the future may find them)

I built custom Jeeps for magazine and show vehicles for many years and had lots of exposure to many of the bedliners, both DIY and pro jobs.

The two qualities I came to like most in a bed liner was a smoother texture. The softer texture liners are easier to clean, easier on the skin, easier on dog paws, easier on clothing, etc. Just generally nicer to be around.

Secondly, I like liners that can be a tinted. The black starts to look ghetto IMO and is too hot on dog paws. (Bed of a jeep mostly)

Monstaliner is great because it goes on with a fairly soft texture and can be had in a bunch of readily available colors and even color matched by the DIYer.

I've been building custom Eurovans and have used Monstaliner on many of them. Doing the rockers, door steps, rear bumper step and the poptop on top conversion vans. This has been a great way to protect against rock chips, foot traffic wear and scratches from gear and tree limbs on the top.

I did I this Syncro conversion with the "Proclastic" dark grey along the bottom and a 1" "Smurfadellic" stripe. The whole front and rear bumper and door steps are also done.
I've done more than these but this should be more than enough for some ideas. I'm also about to do my Sprinter when the lift kit is done. Shocked

I just finished this custom poptop conversion. The top and lower rockers, door steps, rear bumper are all done in Monstaliner Proclastic dark grey.

It can be applied smooth enough that you can actually still stick a decal to it.

This one I only did the rockers, door steps and Lowe rpart of the front and rear bumper. But also did the inside of the fender wells.
I've also done the interior grab handles on most of these to match.

Techno blue metallic color matched Monstaliner on one of my vans.

Door grab handles done to match. Both of these are done in this picture

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: