Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PayPal account hacked
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick73Super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: PayPal account hacked Reply with quote

I only opened a PayPal account to buy/sell VW parts on theSamba. Just checked my account online and someone had charged $187 that I did not authorize. Closed out the account and the bank agreed to reverse the charges.

I will never use PayPal again!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever answered one of those confirm your account details for security purposes emails?

http://www.oddlyenoughmosaics.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24

They're getting more clever and tricky, we received one last week saying there was a problem processing a payment for a couple hundred or something, but was just a different twist!
Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you gave out your info from a fake email.

Come to think of it, I cannot remember ever receiving any real emails from Paypal. I get fake ones almost every day though.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rick73Super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have received PayPal spoof e-mail before and recognized it as such. Without answering it, I forwarded the spoof to both PayPal and Scambusters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thornton
EMPI Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard if you even click on the link they provide, they get the cookies of your password etc off your computer
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running ad-aware then, or something like it? Maybe you've got a spyware program. They had to get your password somehow.

Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rick73Super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you running ad-aware then, or something like it?

I check for adware once per week using Spybot, also run Norton anti-virus and Norton firewall.
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I don't use paypal at all anymore...too many horror stories floating around about people getting ripped off. Turns some people away from my auctions and what not but it keeps me and my bank account safe.....
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a problem with PayPal. But i did open a seperate checking account just for PayPal. I don't keep any money in the account. If I buy something, i transfer the cash into the account. And if I sell something I transfer the cash out.

The running balance is never over $50.

There's nothing to steal. Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
LHG
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have used Paypal for the Raffle Car donations for 4 years. Never had any problem.

And yes, I get fake emails from fake paypal all the time.
www.facebook.com/groups/vintagevwclub/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rick73Super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:
Just spent an hour in the bank closing out my account and card and then opening new ones. They tried to take a total of $382 dollars. It all starts with a $1 PayPal withdrawal. The bank will reimburse all but $50, may take a week.
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps we're looking at the wrong end of things. Do you get bank statements mailed to you? Maybe one of those was stolen, and they tried to set up a Paypal account to get at the dough. There has to be a trail leading to the culprits at some point, or they'd never have access to the cash or the things it would buy! Nice to hear your bank is helping you out too! What does Paypal have to say?

Jeremy
Rick73Super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you get bank statements mailed to you? Maybe one of those was stolen, and they tried to set up a Paypal account to get at the dough.

No bank statements were stolen, I discovered the scam in between statements, when I went on line.

Quote:
What does Paypal have to say?

I don't know what PayPal has to say, I hung up after being on hold for 45 minutes, not on a toll free line either.

I am finished with PayPal forever. And if someone manages to hack into my checking account again I am changing banks too.
mattsvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya Gotta go with what you know and what you've experienced first hand. Unfortunately you've had a horrible Paypal experience... It's to bad the small percentage of low life scum ruin a good thing. But that of course applies to many areas in life.. In any event sorry you had a bad experience.
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick73Super wrote:
I have received PayPal spoof e-mail before and recognized it as such. Without answering it, I forwarded the spoof to both PayPal and Scambusters.

I dont even think that helps. I have been doing that too but its getting me no where. Now I just have all @paypal.com forwarded to my Junk email folder. Paypal is starting to piss me off too and I have been with them for two years and over 400 transactions.
mattsvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recieved many scam Paypal and Ebay e-mails claiming to need confirmation of one thing or another. Both Paypal and Ebay plainly state in there user agreements that they will never ask you for information they already know and have on record. So to me it was just common sense not to click on the link or especially offer up the info they asked for. I do however forward them on to the security departments of Paypal and Crack Bay... Not that it seems to do any good. Now I just delete them as I get them.
Do you think anybody will ever be able to do anything about this type of fraud? Possibly hung by your nutsack in public if your caught?
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsvdub wrote:
I've recieved many scam Paypal and Ebay e-mails claiming to need confirmation of one thing or another. Both Paypal and Ebay plainly state in there user agreements that they will never ask you for information they already know and have on record. So to me it was just common sense not to click on the link or especially offer up the info they asked for. I do however forward them on to the security departments of Paypal and Crack Bay... Not that it seems to do any good. Now I just delete them as I get them.
Do you think anybody will ever be able to do anything about this type of fraud? Possibly hung by your nutsack in public if your caught?

Also, paypal and ebay both tell you that when they email you, you will not it is not a scam because they will email you and in the greeting it will say your first and last name, Such as John Smith. Not, dear valued customer.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Pay Pal for a couple years with no problems. A lot might have to do with the fact I have a Mac and not a PC. No spyware or hacking problems. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: