Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Does automatic tranny = automatic heartbreak?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grunwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Does automatic tranny = automatic heartbreak? Reply with quote

Who knew you guys would be so good at counseling? Now a more mechanical question:

What experience and/or opinions do people have about automatic transmissions in Westy's? I have read a few ads from people who claim that they have never had any problems. That from people trying to sell... My gut says that the standard transmission would be easier to manage in the long run. Your thoughts?
whobba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Auto- RAD - ic Reply with quote

I have an '85 auto Vanagon and it's just fine. Actually, I dig it alot - first automatic VW of any kind for me, and the 3-speed auto is actually pretty darn great. The 1.9 liter engine is gutless anyways, but at least the damn thing shifts all by itself!
weinerwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think the 1.9 coupled to an automatic is slow, you should try my 2.0l air cooled... but like you said, at least it shifts on its own. I'm to pick up my newest Vanagon next weekend which happens to be a 1.9 with an automatic Rolling Eyes
grunwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an 87 auto Westy with only 27,000 miles! The price reflects that but doesn't put it out of consideration. Am I right that these are rare? (The trannies, not 87's with 27k:!Smile How about the availability of parts/replacements?
Richard Carey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned three auto Westys (73, 79 and 84) and have never had a problem. One thing to be sure of on the autos is that there are no vac leaks. They are more expensive to fix if something does go wrong, but you will wear out a few clutches on a standard before burning up your trany. Keep the filters fresh, and ATF full. Also, there is something very "Go-Karty" about a Westfalia auto that makes it fun to drive.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The auto tranny is pretty tough. I've got an 86 auto with no problems even though it's got an extra 47 or so horsepower from this Subaru.
FrankieD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 81 Vanagon Air-cooled and Auto Trans. Country Homes Camper Conversion.(Maybe heavier than a Westy)
Not the first to leave the red light but never left me sitting there either. Like anything mechanical, good preventive maintenance is the first step in longevity. The automatic is the only way for me due to a injury while in the Army and I have no complaints with mine.
Cool
What Does Your Shirt Say?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
H-four
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Automatic Reply with quote

I have had a couple of mechanics say they are not fond of them, and that they are very expensive to replace/rebuild. But, from folks who have had them, they all say they are pretty bulllet proof. I agree with previous posts, the maintenance must be the key. I think really the only down side is that a 4 speed rather than 3 would have been nice.
supplicationjam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup....got my heart and wallet broken this morning on the way to work. I stopped at a school zone to wait for the kiddies to cross and when I hit the accelerator.........nothing. She had been slipping for a few days though and I guess the fluid change finally pushed her over the edge. I've been told that the auto trans is a tough unit but mine gave up the ghost at 109k. I guess it depends on how the PO treated it but just how would you know that?
Cheers,
Jam
grunwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I hope I haven't just signed up for the broken hearts club by buying an 87 Westy auto. It only has 27k original miles and has apparently been babied--regular fluid changes, indoor storage. I'm driving it up from FL in May. I can't wait!
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

an 87 with only 27,000 on it ? wow.....mind telling how much you paid?
Ericthenorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I would suggest adding 100,000 to that... Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FP1201
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grunwin wrote:
Well, I hope I haven't just signed up for the broken hearts club by buying an 87 Westy auto. It only has 27k original miles and has apparently been babied--regular fluid changes, indoor storage. I'm driving it up from FL in May. I can't wait!

Same here (except I'm leaving ~ the 27th) I'm leaving from the Orlando area to Watertown, NY
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Does automatic tranny=automatic heartbreak? Reply with quote

I've got an '87 Westfalia Camper GL with auto trans and LOVE IT! The only A/T vehicle I own of the eight VWs in my fleet. Shifts sharp and crisp. Keep up with occasional fluid changes and filter cleaning and you'll be a A/T convert like me. Nice in a big heavy vehicle to not be wrestling with a clutch/shifter and shifting decisions, let the factory A/T do it! Plus my wife loves to drive it.

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Does automatic tranny=automatic heartbreak? Reply with quote

I wish my Syncro was an automatic. Autos are much easier to drive off road and every time I don't shift perfectly I see dollar signs everywhere. Stressful. And, it's not a great shift experience to begin with. I think it shifts worse than an early 90s F150 but with a trans that costs more than 5 of the trucks combined and as long lasting as a cupcake in a break room. What are the redeeming qualities of the manual? Slightly better efficiency? OK. And the downsides? They are numerous.

Autos are great for utility vehicles. The van isn't gonna be fast. Who cares if its 2 seconds slower in the 1/4? The MT is doing it in 18 seconds, it's not gonna be breaking any necks.
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Does automatic tranny = automatic heartbreak? Reply with quote

It is a shame there are not autos for the syncros.
In my opinion the autos, while maybe a bit less efficient, are way more durable than the manual trans in a vanagon.

One might think they are more complicated but, having had one apart and modifying it, I can tell you that they are likely the simplest auto trans I have ever worked on.

I can have one apart in 15 minutes and back together in another 10 with nothing more than hand tools and maybe a couple clamps and a 2x4.

Sure its fun to shit gears all fast a furious styles but, as someone mentioned, these things are never going to be corner burners or quarter mile blasters so an auto is fine.

In traffic the auto is better.
On long drives the auto is better (primarily because my wife can drive also)
Off road the auto is better.
For what a Vanagon is, the auto is better.

For the record all of the statements above are simply my opinion based on my experiences with my van as well as several other car types and manufacturers.
Your experiences may vary and your opinions are no more or less relevant.

4x4 build
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/volkswagen-vanagon-4x4-conversion.162055/
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Does automatic tranny = automatic heartbreak? Reply with quote

With an automatic, you can steer with one hand and wave to all the pretty hippie girls with the other hand.

Craig
S4VAGE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Does automatic tranny = automatic heartbreak? Reply with quote

Mine only made it 33 years and 235k miles. What a pile of junk Very Happy

I have an auto van and manual van. They both have their trade-offs. There are things I like about both. I would not let it dictate my van buying decision. There are far too many other more important considerations IMO.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Does automatic tranny = automatic heartbreak? Reply with quote

I put a suby in a 78 auto bay riviera for a gentleman. It was a pleasure to drive. Those transmissions were used in other makes too. Not really that rare until you put "vanagon" in front of it. Supposedly they are pretty tough too, as far as adding more horse power.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Does automatic tranny = automatic heartbreak? Reply with quote

grunwin wrote:
Who knew you guys would be so good at counseling? Now a more mechanical question:

What experience and/or opinions do people have about automatic transmissions in Westy's? I have read a few ads from people who claim that they have never had any problems. That from people trying to sell... My gut says that the standard transmission would be easier to manage in the long run. Your thoughts?

I'm not about to sell (until there is a similar sized modern vehicle) and have never had any issues with my A/T (~210,000 miles on it).

The A/T and the unit body are the two best engineered parts of a Vanagon as far as i can determine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: