Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shipping a bus
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
almostreal555
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Shipping a bus Reply with quote

I am currently selling a non-running bus. A few people have asked if I could ship it. Has anyone used a good transport company, I think the guy lives about 900 miles from me, does anyone have a good price guess? The bus costs less than 2grand so shipping can easily make it out of reach for most if it runs into the $500 or $600 range. Any suggestions?

Thanks Dean
Deaffy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any First Hand Knowledge of shipping a vehicle, but I know there are some resources listed on the eBay Motors section for people looking for vehicle transport. How reputable or costly is a big question mark, and I'm sure it varies a lot. Check Epinions.com too, under moving companies. I think there are some experiences with car transport there.

The one thing I do know is that if the vehicle is not running, it seems to bump the price up by quite a bit. Lot more labor intensive for the driver as they have to maneuver around your car with their other loads.

Good luck.
Big B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: ship this Reply with quote

Try www.ariesauto.com they gave me a bid on a bus from Florida to Washington state and it wasn't running for about $1000.00. A few friends of mine have used them and they were happy.
Brian Dancing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you (and the Bus) located, and where is it going?
Sometimes you can get a "Joe Public" person to haul it for you much cheaper
I try and get something on my trailer to haul everytime I go to So Cal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwmcgee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try your local auto auction, they should have some options Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is usually an upcharge for non runners. as much as $300. the vehicle must be winched on and off the trailer/car carrier which adds to the load/unload time for the driver. try www.movecars.com sorry i dont have a link on this computer. good luck. ask as many companies as you can as many questions you can think of.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hornman
Samba Soul Surfer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend that you stay away from A1 Auto Transport (can I say that, Everett?). They were way slow, dented my Splitty and wouldn't pay to have it repaired...not a good experience Crying or Very sad . Good luck.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I would recommend that you stay away from A1 Auto Transport (can I say that, Everett?). They were way slow, dented my Splitty and wouldn't pay to have it repaired...not a good experience Crying or Very sad . Good luck.

Definately, the Classifieds Forum is for feedback on any buyer/seller/business out there.

Now it's in the search. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chillkoot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

WOW, Thanks.. I was gonna use them to get my splitty to Hawaii
other routes now....

Fiberglass is for boats... Rustoleum is for your lawn mower!
Hornman
Samba Soul Surfer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. They got me with the fine print...live and learn. The driver pointed out that the Splitty had a dent in the nose. I bought it off of eBey (scary, I know) and until talking with the PO, I wasn't entirely sure if the dent was new. The driver said, well, you need to sign here for me to release the bus. It was already like a month late and I was very eager. SO, I signed. I later learned that in signing, I waved all of A1's liability... They were not cool at all and completely refused to help. Gee, at 40-something (OK, 44 today!), you'd think that I'd be old enough to check out the fine print...OUCH. Embarassed
ronnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When someone asks me about shipping a bus/car/trailer I have for sale I just tell em to check the yellow pages. I've spent way to much of my time getting numbers for people who never buy the vehicle, NEVER. If they really wanted it they'd already be getting shipping quotes.
Salty D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you spent the time posting this worthless info, when you could have copy and pasted a link and helped another user, in almost the same amount of time..... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
ronnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I was trying to save him some time. I was suggesting that he not bother to doing the leg work as a serious buyer will get it done themselves. If they aren't motivated enough to open a phone book or do a google search they probably aren't really that interested. I have never once had a person who asked me to get them a shipping cost actually buy the vehicle for sale.

why we're talking about worthless info, what helpful information was meant to be gleaned from your last post?
Salty D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnie wrote:
why we're talking about worthless info, what helpful information was meant to be gleaned from your last post?

It got you to explain yourself, so half of it wasn't wasted. The other half was to get you to help the guy out and share your info, alas that didn't work.

I don't have the answers, as I have never shipped in this situation, but would like to know if you have found a good source.

The guy is a being a courteous seller, nothing wrong with that in todays internet economy. IMHO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Scott- I had him trailer a non op 56 ragtop back from Wa. to Indy- was charged $800 for that trip, but others wouldn't touch a non op vehicle or those that would were asking $1500.00. I'm not sure how often he gets to Fl thou-

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/index.php?view+sum+200308131656263558
almostreal555
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your help. I lucked out that the buyer is going to come with a trailer himself and pick it up. And after all the discussion and cost factors, I think that if I buy the ghia I want, I'll rent a truck and trailer and make the trek myself. Seems cheaper, and then if anything goes wrong I can only blame myself.

Thanks again
Dean
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experince is as follows:

In '92 when I left the states for good (I sware that was my intention at the time!) on my way back to Puerto Rico, the moving company charged me an extra $700 for putting the Micro inside the same container where all my stuff was. Though it made it in one piece, they just piled my stuff first then parked the bus behind it. So in transit some stuff cut loose and busted the signal and head lights along with rubbing some paint off to the bare metal. I had a hard time claiming agaist them but eventually got around $650 back.

Fast forward to '95 when I left the island for good (this time I meant it!), I researched my options and ended up driving it myself to the shipping docks, did the paperwork myself and they put it in the boat. I had move to Tampa, Florida. Once it arrived, took a short flight to Miami, picked it up and rove it back. It only cost me around $650. Had other companies offer to pick it up and deliver it, from driveway to driveway for a cool grand. So do your homework Exclamation Smile
eurotrash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used hurst auto transport and they got my 23 from san fran to tampa in three days. and it only cost $800.00. but it got there with no damage. I found that to be a good deal.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurst is a broker; you are at the mercy of whoever they pick. They have had $800 of my dollars since the beginning of August to move my bus from Texas to Oregon. They keep saying it is taller than they expected it to be and can't get anyone to transport it. They don't return telephone messages. So my experience differed from yours, unfortunately.
Behemoth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I sold my Ghia to a fellow in LA(cali) he setup his own transport. It was nonop also and the fellow just put it in the order they were coming off when he left. I helped him push it behind the trailer and helped get it on. This went from NC to LA. It was $1350 nonop and was going to be $950 if it ran.
I haven't spoken to him since it left but the Co. was M&E Transport out of Glendale, AZ.

Eric if you're scoping the forums how did you recieve it?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: