Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Servicing rear brakes: worth paying someone else?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
trevize1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Servicing rear brakes: worth paying someone else? Reply with quote

I believe the scraping sound is coming from my right-rear drum. When I pull on the E-brake the car pulls to the left. That and other clues lead to the right rear brake not really working well or at all and something probably loose inside there. Bearings and CV joint check out OK from what I can tell, too.

So, question is should I attempt the job myself or just pay a mechanic to do it? I have yet to buy a 36mm axle nut removal tool (around $9) and then I'd like to get a heavy-duty (I think they're called flex handle) socket wrench to use on it ($20 at my local Ace Hardware) and then I believe I need a drum puller to get the drum off, most likely new brake shoes, perhaps get a machine shop to grind the inside of the drum ...

By the end of it, this a once every 10 years (this car's not going to see more than 5K miles each year) job so should I spare myself the headache and just have someone else do it? I don't remember exactly how much a brake job costs for just the rear wheels (front discs have recently been replaced and work fine). $150? Sound right?
http://druckenghia.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to work on your cars, the tool expenditure is well worth it. You don't need the drum puller.

I say buy the tools and have at it. The only specific tool is the 36mm socket. You'll use the ratchet for other things.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, you have to remember that the drum has to be torqued on to 230(?)lbs when you are finished. Double-check the Bentley on that. I agree with Dave, the tools are worth the investment. So what if it takes you a weekend. At least you'll have acquired more knowledge. I've been diving headfirst into a 1997 Dodge Ram engine, and to be honest, these FI systems aren't so "complicated".
trevize1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveM wrote:
If you want to work on your cars, the tool expenditure is well worth it. You don't need the drum puller.

I say buy the tools and have at it. The only specific tool is the 36mm socket. You'll use the ratchet for other things.

I've heard that before that I don't need a drum puller. Do they just slide off when you've removed the big nut, or is there another way to wrestle them loose?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trevize1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icy wrote:
But, you have to remember that the drum has to be torqued on to 230(?)lbs when you are finished.

Yeah, I've read up about the procedure and know it's gotta be torqued on pretty darn tight. Hmm ... I'll keep looking into this whole thing.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevize1138 wrote:
DaveM wrote:

I've heard that before that I don't need a drum puller. Do they just slide off when you've removed the big nut, or is there another way to wrestle them loose?

Get a heavy brass hammer and tap it a few times. They usually fall right off. You may want to adjust the star adjuster to pull the shoes inward. As long as you're going to have everything disassembled, it would be a good time to grease and lubricate everything.
jason_hamilton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself a Torquemeister to handle the axle nut. It allows you to get it off and torqued correctly on with an ordinary torque wrench and a 10mm socket. If the axle nut is not tightened up to spec (217 foot pounds), it will get loose and the axle shaft will chew the splines off the drum.
Your drums will not require machining unless they are scored.
The whole thing can be done in an afternoon by a novice with basic hand tools (and a Torquemeister). Just put everything back where you found it, and follow the Bentley maual. You can do this, and you'll be proud you did.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trevize1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll do it. Smile In fact, just got back from AutoZone where they actually had a beefy, 36MM axle nut socket and 2' breaker bar. I've read that you can mark the nut and axle before you take it off, too, if you want to make sure it's got the proper ft/lbs of torque back on when you put it all together. But, I need to get a torque wrench, I suppose. They're just a little too handy not to have.

I assume I can get replacement shoes just about anywhere?
john morris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Servicing Rear Brakes Reply with quote

The local Autozone and Advance auto parts here rent tools for free. You don't even have to buy anything! You can use a credit card for deposit and return the undamaged tool for a full refund. Works great if you are tight on cash.

For the real axle nut, I have someone sit in the car and apply the brakes while I break it loose or tighten it. If you are concerned about tightening the nut, do all the work, put it back together, use a breaker bar and a length of pipe to get it as tight as you can, then have a nearby shop tighten it for you. You should be able to safely drive 3-5 miles at low speeds after the breaker bar and pipe method. A good shop may not even charge you anything. Good Luck!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevize1138 wrote:
OK, I'll do it. Smile In fact, just got back from AutoZone where they actually had a beefy, 36MM axle nut socket and 2' breaker bar. I've read that you can mark the nut and axle before you take it off, too, if you want to make sure it's got the proper ft/lbs of torque back on when you put it all together. But, I need to get a torque wrench, I suppose. They're just a little too handy not to have.

I assume I can get replacement shoes just about anywhere?

The best $50 you can spend is on a torquemeister clone. Takes on the guess work out of a very crucial (safety wise) job.
--Dan
trevize1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Servicing Rear Brakes Reply with quote

john morris wrote:
The local Autozone and Advance auto parts here rent tools for free. You don't even have to buy anything! You can use a credit card for deposit and return the undamaged tool for a full refund. Works great if you are tight on cash.

For the real axle nut, I have someone sit in the car and apply the brakes while I break it loose or tighten it. If you are concerned about tightening the nut, do all the work, put it back together, use a breaker bar and a length of pipe to get it as tight as you can, then have a nearby shop tighten it for you. You should be able to safely drive 3-5 miles at low speeds after the breaker bar and pipe method. A good shop may not even charge you anything. Good Luck!

Well, I guess I have good news and bad news Smile. The good news is I just got the axle nut loose with the 2' breaker bar and no cheater pipe and moderately heavy force. The bad news is I just got the axle nut loose with only a 2' breaker bar and no cheater bar and only moderately heavy force. I fear the axle nut was originally put on too loose! Surprised

My lunch break is over, so I'll go back to it after work here (I work from home, aren't you jealous? Razz ) But, I wasn't able to just slide the drum off after removing the axle nut. I need to buy a spray can of Liquid Wrench, but for now I sprayed some WD-40 in-between the splines. The parking brake is released but I'm thinking I need to do that next step of backing off the adjusting stars a whole lot and maybe the drum will slide off then?

There is a tiny bit of play when I pull in and out on the drum, too. Just a fraction of play, not even a millimeter, I'd say. I can just feel it but not see it. Good? Bad?

Also, with a 2' breaker bar and me being 195 lbs, if I just stand on the very end of the bar with one foot then lift the other foot off the ground would that torque the axle nut on plenty? I suppose I should stand about 16 or so inches away from the axle nut to torque it sorta close to 250 ft/lbs?
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Servicing Rear Brakes Reply with quote

trevize1138 wrote:
john morris wrote:

Well, I guess I have good news and bad news Smile. The good news is I just got the axle nut loose with the 2' breaker bar and no cheater pipe and moderately heavy force. The bad news is I just got the axle nut loose with only a 2' breaker bar and no cheater bar and only moderately heavy force. I fear the axle nut was originally put on too loose! Surprised

My lunch break is over, so I'll go back to it after work here (I work from home, aren't you jealous? Razz ) But, I wasn't able to just slide the drum off after removing the axle nut. I need to buy a spray can of Liquid Wrench, but for now I sprayed some WD-40 in-between the splines. The parking brake is released but I'm thinking I need to do that next step of backing off the adjusting stars a whole lot and maybe the drum will slide off then?

There is a tiny bit of play when I pull in and out on the drum, too. Just a fraction of play, not even a millimeter, I'd say. I can just feel it but not see it. Good? Bad?

Also, with a 2' breaker bar and me being 195 lbs, if I just stand on the very end of the bar with one foot then lift the other foot off the ground would that torque the axle nut on plenty? I suppose I should stand about 16 or so inches away from the axle nut to torque it sorta close to 250 ft/lbs?

OK. Back off on the adjuster star so the shoes don't have any drag on the drum. Don't go saturating everything with liquid wrench. They should slide off with a light amount of "persuasion" from a heavy weight ball-peen hammer. The amount of play that you describe is perfect. When you reinstall the drum, the adjustment is to turn the adjuster until the shoes grab the drum, then back off for an oh-so-slight drag.

I am thinking that your drum may be shot. That clanging you've been hearing may just be the steel axle splines chewing away at the case iron drum splines. Inspect those for wear. There is nothing worse than the splines of a drum having been worn.

When you re-install the drum, or install a new drum, you torque than axle nut properly. 195lbs and a 2' breaker bar aren't going to cut it. Do the job right. There is nothing worse than half-assing a mechanical repair.
jbar1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the Torquemeister is the way to go. Who carries them?

Thanks!

1970 Ghia
1976 Porsche 912E
trevize1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Servicing Rear Brakes Reply with quote

Icy wrote:
I am thinking that your drum may be shot. That clanging you've been hearing may just be the steel axle splines chewing away at the case iron drum splines. Inspect those for wear. There is nothing worse than the splines of a drum having been worn.

From what I've seen replacement drums are relatively inexpensive. Just buy a pair of new drums if the splines are chewed up?

Quote:
When you re-install the drum, or install a new drum, you torque than axle nut properly. 195lbs and a 2' breaker bar aren't going to cut it. Do the job right. There is nothing worse than half-assing a mechanical repair.

So, you're saying stand 14 7/8 inches away from the nut with one foot on the breaker bar? Point taken, I'll get a freakin' torque wrench. Wink
cadmanspd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't just replace the shoes either, do the wheel cylinder too. You'll be glad you did.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Torque wrench isn't going to cut it. Do what Jason said and get a Torquemeister.
trevize1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Servicing Rear Brakes Reply with quote

Icy wrote:

OK. Back off on the adjuster star so the shoes don't have any drag on the drum. Don't go saturating everything with liquid wrench. They should slide off with a light amount of "persuasion" from a heavy weight ball-peen hammer.

OK, having some trouble with this step. I don't have a ball-peen hammer but I'm using a regular hammer and old broken box-end wrench (got a nice flat end to it due to open-end tooth being broken off) to knock the drum from the back side. An awfully awkward angle to get at that.

Now, it does appear to be working but awfully slow and it seems like I get progressively more brake shoe drag as I knock it out. I think the front adjusting star on this right-hand wheel is rusted or siezed into place somehow and I believe I've got the rear adjusting star backed off as far as it'll go.

I know it's moving the drum out because the first time I tried it I thought it wasn't working and used a rubber mallot to bang on the outside of the drum. When I did this the drum was banged back into place and I had no more brake drag.

What if I were to pump the brake pedal a couple times right now? Would the hydraulic system provide a little bit of self-adjustment and back the shoes off the drum a bit more? Any suggestions out there for getting this damn drum off? Maybe I'll see about renting a drum puller ...
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put some PBlaster on the splines. The drums can be a bear to remove. Tap it like you're doing, rotate it 15 degrees, tap, rotate again, tap. It will take time, but they'll come off.
Jeckler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for you Icy.
Why won't 195 lbs and a 2ft breaker bar cut it? If he stands at the end of the bar, he's putting 390lbs to the nut, right? Maybe bounce a little?
I did the rear brakes on my car a few weeks ago and that's how I did it, kinda. I weight, ahem... alot, and stood about 9 inches (don't do the math, please) from the nut and gave a bounce or two. Am I missing something in how the torque is applied?
bill may wrote:
I am the crabby old guy.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in fruit salad.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeckler wrote:
Question for you Icy.
Why won't 195 lbs and a 2ft breaker bar cut it? If he stands at the end of the bar, he's putting 390lbs to the nut, right? Maybe bounce a little?
I did the rear brakes on my car a few weeks ago and that's how I did it, kinda. I weight, ahem... alot, and stood about 9 inches (don't do the math, please) from the nut and gave a bounce or two. Am I missing something in how the torque is applied?

Well, I would have to look up the formula for calculating torque. How much distance will have to be covered to get that torque, and at what point will the required amount be achieved? I tend to be anal when it comes to exacting measurements for tolerances.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: