Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What could go wrong?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Infidel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: What could go wrong? Reply with quote

I've been looking for project Ghia for years, missed a few great deals by days or hours. They're quite uncommon in my neck of the woods and frequently rusty. I finally have a line on a potential project but I haven't seen it, no pics of it, not sure I'll get any (it's 4 hrs away one way, so I won't be visiting to take a look). I know the first rule of getting you guys' opinion is to post pics, sorry, I'll just have to relate what I've been told.

1963 coupe
previous owner sent it to the body shop, couldn't/didn't pay for the work
current owner bought it, pulled the engine & trans out
car is in primer, pans are good, glass is present, body/nose straight
mechanically intact, brakes are there, harness is uncut etc
interior is absent except for drivers seat
body has received some hail damage since body shop work
only indication of rust was at rear of passenger door, don't know how extensive that is
current owner rebuilt a 1600 dp to go in the car
current owner rebuilt a swing axle tranny to go in the car
current owner will install engine and tranny, turnkey if possible
current owner is somewhat proficient with VWs based on my convo with him
asking $1100

My goal
a mechanically sound driveable project, long term, no rush, fun
I'll handle the body work, mechanical repairs, replacement of parts, paint prep
no obvious reason to try to stay OEM or classic so,
get it painted how I want
modify it how I want

I'm partial to this look:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thoughts on the deal?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When building a Ghia, it's all about the body.

Body work can cost a large fortune. The mechanical systems can all be delat with, but if it has rot and is missing stuff... it's very expensive to complete the project.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimmorrison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good deal to me since I've looked at junkyard quality for $1500 (1.5 hour drive...one way). The owner honestly believed the car was in decent shape eventhough it was made from two cars with a huge diagonal weld the entire length of the vehicle. All this and it was in the middle of a farmer's field with no wheels and sitting on the brake drums partially buried in the ground, the whole car entirely covered in rust. Bottom line, if it sounds too good to be true, it is. Also, some people are whacked. If the original owner couldn't pay for bodywork, safe to assume he didn't exactly baby the car or ask for top quality metal-only body repairs either. Been there, good luck. Long drive, your call.
snookerdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: what could go wrong Reply with quote

well, if you get a running ghia for that money and it has bumpers front and rear it is worth the drive to see what else is there. a ghia alive is worth the drive.

ain't it fun???
jimmorrison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infidel,
I just realized your in Texas. Is it really that hard to find a good Ghia in your parts? Us Canadians have been paying the big bucks for years to have classic cars shipped from your home state.
Infidel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
When building a Ghia, it's all about the body.

Body work can cost a large fortune. The mechanical systems can all be delat with, but if it has rot and is missing stuff... it's very expensive to complete the project.

My logic is, if it's in primer then that's an indication that a majority of the body work is done, unsure why there's a rusty area still though. Also, solid floor pans is a huge vote of confidence from me. I'm good with a cutting torch and fair at welding so I'm not super concerned with the body.

The missing stuff concerns me, but, since I'm not doing a restoration or trying to stay original, I figure I've got aircooled VWs from 61 to 69 to scavenge parts from, as well as aftermarket etc. The guy says it doesn't appear to have ever been in an accident, no frame damage etc.

Crossing my fingers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Infidel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmorrison wrote:
Sounds like a good deal to me since I've looked at junkyard quality for $1500 (1.5 hour drive...one way). The owner honestly believed the car was in decent shape eventhough it was made from two cars with a huge diagonal weld the entire length of the vehicle. All this and it was in the middle of a farmer's field with no wheels and sitting on the brake drums partially buried in the ground, the whole car entirely covered in rust. Bottom line, if it sounds too good to be true, it is. Also, some people are whacked. If the original owner couldn't pay for bodywork, safe to assume he didn't exactly baby the car or ask for top quality metal-only body repairs either. Been there, good luck. Long drive, your call.

Yeah, beauty is in the eye of the beholder for sure. He was selling the body for 300, + trans 600, + engine 1100. The body may be rough but it sounds like its only cosmetic, I can source seats, upholstery work etc easily enough. I'm uncertain of the circumstances with the body work, the fact that he took it to a shop indicates he isn't a shadetree hack (maybe). When I go to pick it up I can always walk away as well, no commitments yet, nor will there be sight unseen.
Infidel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: what could go wrong Reply with quote

snookerdude wrote:
well, if you get a running ghia for that money and it has bumpers front and rear it is worth the drive to see what else is there. a ghia alive is worth the drive.

ain't it fun???

Well, for what I want to spend, it sounds like a good start. I'm not sure about the fun part, more like frustrating. But, after looking so long you can bet that I'm going to appreciate every moment.
Infidel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmorrison wrote:
Infidel,
I just realized your in Texas. Is it really that hard to find a good Ghia in your parts? Us Canadians have been paying the big bucks for years to have classic cars shipped from your home state.

It's hard to find a quality base to start a project from. In the past 3 years I've been scouring Samba, ebay, craigs list and local forums. I also have friends / relatives around the country so I count their locales as viable options too.

I missed a freshly painted but dissassembled $1k Ghia in AL by about a day.
I missed a running 68 with narrowed beam, drop spindles and some engine work for $1k by less than 12 hours.
I missed a perfect condition 74 with a seized engine, 10 min away from me for $600 by about 6 hours.

I think Ghias are difficult here because of the nature of Texas. Long distances, hot weather, cowboy/oil country etc., high humidity doesn't help the rust situation either. Most of the Ghias I find are in Austin or Dallas. There is always a 4-6K Ghia for sale here, rarely a solid project though, a few junk yard rust buckets. It's much richer pickings for old muscle cars and trucks, slim pickings for imported sports cars. I think I see more cars available in the rust belt than I do on the gulf coast, but they aren't anything I'd be interested in so it's not too bad. Cali is the place to be of course, dime a dozen.

It's ok, I only need one, just hope this one pans out.
ovalboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infidel, there was a guy that had some Ghia's advertised here on the Samba a while back (around Christmas) that was in Houston. One of them was a 67 that he said only had 27K original on it and had been sitting in storage for something like 15 or 20 years. I inquired about it and could never get him to respond after the intial inquiry (he only responded once), so I found another one, but it looked pretty solid based on the pics he sent (he said it was 100% rust free). His user name here is KubelKen. Check the clssifieds for him.
As for the 4 hour drive, if your looking for something to keep for years and enjoy, a 4 hour ride is worth it. Take a buddy and catch up on old times. I drove from Cincinnati to Elkhart, IN (4 hours) to look at a 58 Beetle. Turned out to be full of filler and lousy floor pan repairs, but I got to spend some quality time with one of my friends.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worst case scenario, buy it for cheap and cut it up for parts making more than double your money back.
ovalboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an ad from Kubelken. It's for a lowlight, but the ghia I was interested in from him is the one sitting to the left of the lowlight.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=240955
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a mostly complete 58 coupe project that I've been tempted to sell. I bought the car for parts but found it too nice to part out, no rust, straight body, all original glass, etc. etc. My second intention was to outfit it with a bunch of period speed parts but right now, space is what I'm more interested in. Then again, I refuse to loose money on any deal so if it doesnt go to a good home, I'll continue on planning for a nice ride someday.

Check it out
Infidel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ovalboy wrote:
Here is an ad from Kubelken. It's for a lowlight, but the ghia I was interested in from him is the one sitting to the left of the lowlight.

I recall seeing his posts, felt he was asking a bit much for what he had though. Maybe I'm too picky or too much of a cheap bastard though?

If this deal falls through I may have to lower my standards though.

http://www.craigslist.org/pts/145058104.html

Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infidel wrote:
ovalboy wrote:

I recall seeing his posts, felt he was asking a bit much for what he had though. Maybe I'm too picky or too much of a cheap bastard though?

If this deal falls through I may have to lower my standards though.

http://www.craigslist.org/pts/145058104.html

Unless you absolutely know you're going to buy a pristine Ghia that will run a lot of coin, expect to "lower your standards" and tackle a project.
ovalboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I spoke with KubelKen, I was looking for a rust free/accident free ghia and was willing to pay a little more for that. A rust free ghia in Ohio means that all the rust has been covered up with bondo. I actually ended up getting one out of San Diego that was exactly what I was looking for. If you're not in a hurry to buy one, the right one for the right price will come along, just be patient.
74Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah matey! Might you be parking yer Ghia in Cincinnati? I'm headed that way next Friday to do a little salvage yard diving! PM me if you live in the Cincy area.

2012 Silverado
53 FiberFab MG TD Replica (VW)

Life is hard and its harder if you're stupid.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: