Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

eBay sniping
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasonelzic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: eBay sniping Reply with quote

Anyone ever tried to 'snipe' an Ebay auction?

which program / website did you use? did it work ?

im goinna try it today, im sick of loosing to snipers
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put in a big bid and let eBay do it for you!!!
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't lose to snipers.....you lose to someone willing to pay more...
jasonelzic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Put in a big bid and let eBay do it for you!!!

Yes but you see sniping programs just place a bid right at the last 10 seconds of the auction

they will place it and no other bids will go through after it, thats how they work

even ebay itself cant outbid you if there is no time left after your bid is processed with 1 second to go.

thats how they work and thats why you will loose to a sniper, the programs are set to run along with ebays exact timing also

they have it down to a science, this time i hope im the one who wins

instead of thinking i won the auciton up until 10 seconds left

ujghhhmththrthrtshtryjytjutdk 5e s5w7!!!! Rolling Eyes
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The highest bidder wins.

If 10 people use a sniping service and all 10 bid with 1 second left, the highest bidder will win.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
The highest bidder wins.

If 10 people use a sniping service and all 10 bid with 1 second left, the highest bidder will win.

Exactly. I use esnipe all the time.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
jasonelzic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugninva wrote:

well that is partially true.

but say you big 1500 on a car and have been winning it for 1 week. the car is worth atleast 3000 so your all happy because your getting a nice deal

but with 10 seconds left some guy with a sniping program comes and outbids you for 1550 and bam auction over and guess what u loose.

i have seen it done and its a known fact on ebay. if it didnt work then would there be 20++ programs out there and plenty of people paying money to use the programs.

im not trying to be contentious im just trying to say i have had this happen to me before and it works
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasonelzic wrote:
bugninva wrote:

but say you big 1500 on a car and have been winning it for 1 week. the car is worth atleast 3000 so your all happy because your getting a nice deal

but with 10 seconds left some guy with a sniping program comes and outbids you for 1550 and bam auction over and guess what u loose.

i

yes sir...correct...you just lost to someone willing to pay more....if you had your max bid at 2500 dollars where it should haved, the other fellow *never* becomes the hight bidder....and the high bidder is the one that wins...reguardless of when they bid...
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Sniper when the auction ends at an awkward time, which as I live in the UK (5hrs ahead of EST, 8hrs ahead of PST) happens a lot.

As it's been noted it doesn't guarantee a win but if you're the type who likes to bid late it's an ideal way to place one.

I use "Hammer Snipe" which allows you 3 free snipes a week or if you bid a lot you can pay for the deluxe version.

I bid on 3 lots last week and won them all...bids placed 10 seconds to go.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasonelzic wrote:
bugninva wrote:

i have seen it done and its a known fact on ebay. if it didnt work then would there be 20++ programs out there and plenty of people paying money to use the programs.

im not trying to be contentious im just trying to say i have had this happen to me before and it works

Just because you're the highest bidder for the first 6 day it doesn't mean you'll win. Like in a baseball game it doesn't matter if you're in the lead for 8 innings. All that matter is who has the highest bid at the end of the auction.

I never bid on an item untill the last 5 seconds. That way I don't tip my hand.

The highest bidder always wins. If you loose then you didn't bid high enough. Plain and simple.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

I never bid on an item untill the last 5 seconds. That way I don't tip my hand.

The highest bidder always wins. If you loose then you didn't bid high enough. Plain and simple.

I'm with you on that Glenn...I never bid during the run-up you're just fuelling the auction. I still bid in the last minute even if the item has no bids.

If the auction has a counter you can easily see if someone else is watching...the count should go up by one every "refresh" if you're the only one watching. More than one...you've got competition.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: EBAY SNIPING Reply with quote

jasonelzic wrote:
Anyone ever tried to 'snipe' an Ebay auction?

which program / website did you use? did it work ?

im goinna try it today, im sick of loosing to snipers

Jason a sniping program isn't necessary. It isn't rocket science to know when the auciton is ending and watch it for the last minute then bid with 10 seconds left. Make sure you enter your maximum amount to outbid the former high bodder. Bidding in the first 6 days 23 hours and 59 minutes of an auction just costs you more money.

and BTW---the word is spelled LOSE not loose.
efi67vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<<<<<<< ebay sniper i score lots of good deals without getting the price blown out of hand. dont cry when you lose, if you want it bid accordingly. otherwise you will miss out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71VOTB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasonelzic wrote:

Yes but you see sniping programs just place a bid right at the last 10 seconds of the auction

they will place it and no other bids will go through after it, thats how they work

even ebay itself cant outbid you if there is no time left after your bid is processed with 1 second to go.

Not true, I think the others were trying to point this out but this may make it clearer. If the current bid is $100 and you set your sniper program to bid up to $500 but the current high bidder (the guy with $100 showing) has a high bid of $550 (which doesn't show), then it doesn't matter how last second it is, the highest bidder gets it, which would be the bidder that used eBay. You'd have to set your sniping program for $551 to beat the high bidder. There's no such thing as "so last that eBay can't even beat it." If the bid is higher, it will beat it. The program is set up to look at all bids the instance the auction ends.

Look at this way, if ten people are sniping in the last half second, it's still the guy who set his sniping program to the highest dollar that will win, and since eBay will do it for you, why bother with a sniping program at all? All ties (ie, ten sniping programs hitting in the last second) are broken by the highest bidder. If by some chance all 10 bid exactly the same amount, the first bidder to bid that amount gets it, so it wouldn't even pay to be dead last.

I never understood why people use sniping programs, like many said above, just put in your high price, the highest bidder gets it.

Anyway, here it is from the eBay site:

Quote:

You have been outbid when another buyer has placed a higher maximum bid than yours, and you are not the current high bidder.

Sometimes you'll be outbid as soon as you enter your bid, even though the bid you entered was higher than the current bid shown on the item listing. When this happens, you will usually be notified immediately, and you’ll be given a chance to make another bid.

This happens because another buyer had a higher maximum bid than yours. Your bid prompted eBay's automatic bidding system to raise the other buyer's bid above yours. The other bidder may have placed their bid hours or days before.

Last-minute bidding
Placing a high bid in the closing seconds of an auction-style listing is called “sniping” within the eBay Community. Sniping is part of the eBay experience, and all bids placed before a listing ends are valid - even if they're placed one second before the listing ends.

To help avoid disappointment, ensure that the maximum bid you enter on the item page is the highest price that you're willing to pay. The eBay bidding system automatically increases your bid up to the maximum price you specify, so entering a higher maximum may help prevent you from being outbid in the closing seconds of a listing.

OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esnipe works great...you decide your highest bid and set it to snipe. Then you walk away and forget about it until the email arrives with the news. Some folks really love sitting at the keyboard hitting "refresh" every 5 seconds as an auction winds down. Not us.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: EBAY SNIPING Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
It isn't rocket science to know when the auciton is ending and watch it for the last minute then bid with 10 seconds left.

10 seconds? Might as well be 10 minutes.

I esnipe at 3 seconds. I'll knock you out before your page reloads.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: EBAY SNIPING Reply with quote

coad wrote:
VDubTech wrote:
It isn't rocket science to know when the auciton is ending and watch it for the last minute then bid with 10 seconds left.

It still doesn't matter, it's high bid wins.

If 10 minutes the highest bid is $20 and I bid $10,000. It doesn't matter if 1 second before you bid $100, i'll still win.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: EBAY SNIPING Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
coad wrote:
VDubTech wrote:

It still doesn't matter, it's high bid wins.

If 10 minutes the highest bid is $20 and I bid $10,000. It doesn't matter if 1 second before you bid $100, i'll still win.

Well, yes and no. The highest bid that's actually PLACED wins. but if I can hide my interest in the item and lull that high bidder into thinking no one else is interested, or that he has it locked, then ensipe wins me auctions, and I know that happens. Hell, it happens to me. I think I want something more than anyone else and *bam* I'm so outbid at the end it isn't even funny.

I also don't believe in giving free appraisals, and I've seen it happen too many times where someone just keeps bidding in small amounts until they knock off the high bidder. They figure "well, i only bid $5 more than he did. Screw that.

I also spend a lot of time searching for stuff, and I don't want some fool typing in my ebay ID and searching for what I'm bidding on, and that happens more than anyone guesses.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: EBAY SNIPING Reply with quote

coad wrote:

Well, yes and no. The highest bid that's actually PLACED wins.

Of course.

There's been a number of auctions i've lost because my high bid was $50 and the item went for $51. I never have a problem with that because it was on'y worth $50 and the winning bidder could of bid $150 for it.

Bidding early and in small increment only helps the seller.

Come in at the end and bid the most you're willing to pay. If you lose, then move on to the next item.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: EBAY SNIPING Reply with quote

Maybe sniping saves me money and maybe it doesn't. I'm convinced it does, but how can you really prove it?

All I know is that it gives me a perverse satisfaction to come from nowhere in the last second and win an auction. I live to snipe new users with zero feedback.

I've gotten two emails from bidders angry with me for 'stealing' their auction, and I cherish both of them.

Bottom line is that ebay should just do away with the automatic ending times and say that no auction ends until there hasn't been a bid for 3 minutes or some such number. Just keep extending the closing until all bids are in. That would be fairer to the bidders, better for the sellers and make the whole system work more like a real auction.

Every time they have a powerseller focus group or whatever they call it that suggestion is at the top of the list and ebay just ignores it. If they don't care then why should we?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: