Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fridge is finalized!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mulcheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Fridge is finalized! Reply with quote

So I havent been able to get the fridge to light on prop. ever since I got the van. This year we were going to use the fridge no matter what it took to get it to run. Heres what I did:
I pulled the frige and brought it down to my basement so I could just work on it whenever I would get a free minute. I started buy cleaning everything off. Took apart the burner and cleaned in there. Blew out the exhaust tubes. Took apart every prop. line and forced air through. This is where I found the problem. All lines where clear but when I got to the last one, isnt that how it always is, which was the line to the burner which I had checked many times before I could not blow any air through. I decided to take the burner completely apart and I found that the jet was 100% clogged. Cleaned that out so that I could see light coming through. Brake parts cleaner works great to break lose the crap. Since the frige was out I replace the burnt out fan with one I pulled out of my old computer and I decided to do the upgrade and purchased a small computer fan from a computer recycling center for $1 and installed that one to circulate air through the fins inside the fridge. I also pulled the on/off switch from the computer and installed that in the fridge control panel so I can turn the fan on/off when needed. The little fan only pulls .08 watts so I think there shouldnt be powerloss issues.

I installed the fridge in the van today and guess what? It lit on the first try, without any preheating.

Now guess what? Im drinking a beer in celebration!!!!!

Next test is to see cold it can keep my food on the first trip.
Rodknock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! You are my hero Mulcheese. I plant to do exactly the same next week and get that dang fridge lit, or my name isn't Rodknock. But wait, my name isn't Rodknock. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On propane, they will freeze ice in those cute little trays overnight. You can make tiny cocktails Laughing

My fridge fired right up twice so far this year. It seems to be taking more air pumps to get it going though. I did a R/R about ten years ago, might be about time again.
aguabonita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fridge is being a pain in the arse! Twisted Evil
I really want it to get to going this summer for our trips. Maybe i'll follow your lead and pull it soon and clean it out.
Kev
scruffyboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Just HOW cold...? Reply with quote

Anybody know just HOW cold this thing is SUPPOSED to be getting?
I yanked mine, cleaned it up, blew it out installed an interior fan. all that stuff.
On 110 it'll get down to 40, on propane it only goes down to about 53-55 and 12 volt 50-60. This is in Florida where daytime temps are now getting up into the mid 80's and quite humid. And yes, I've made sure it's level when I've tried it out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fridge is really not that great of a performer. Overnight, on propane or 120v, mine will drop down to 30. It will frezze ice in the trays. However, during the day, the day time temp seems to be a number of degrees lower than ambient. Its really ineffective if the sun is hitting that side of the bus. For a day trip, I usethe fridge, but for several days i'll use an ice chest.

Your temps may not be too far off for hot, humid day time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: