Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fridge Removal, Repair & Replace
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rodknock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Fridge Removal, Repair & Replace Reply with quote

Got my fridge out this past weekend. Bently does a good job of describing removal, but there are a few helpful things to note:

There are more screws under the outer flue plate that have to come out in order to get this whole thing off the side of the van...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Both of these connectors, and the 120v plug, have to be undone...

This gas line goes to the burners, it is NOT the one you have to unhook...

The gas line you need to unhook is further back around the corner, got to stick you head in the cabinet to see it....

In order to get the door & outer frame off, it helps to take this little screw out too...

Here is the offending little fan that was making a racket, turns out it was the yellow wire hitting the blades, but I replaced the fan anyway sine I am in there...

Here is the replacement fan I got from GoWesty, but no bracket is included so you have to make your own. I made two brackets, one L-bracket to the back of the fridge, and one lower support brace. Also, the when doing the electrical hook-up the Blue wire from your Westy goes to the Black wire on the GoWesty fan, orient the fan as shown so air blows upward...

I also did the air pump upgrade, an o-ring goes onto the shaft to prevent backflow leaks and allow more air to be pumped, and a new check valve goes into the air line....

I cleaned the burner and igniter, got it all back together, and that dang fridge will still not light. Probably should have checked the igniter. Who knows what's still wrong with it, will have to tackle it another day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Mulcheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine turned out to be the jet. It is the end of the gas line. It is between the burner and the copperline. Mine was 100% clogged. Pull it out and hold it up to a light bulb. If you cant see through it it is clogged. The manual says not to use an object, you might enlarge the hole. I used brake cleaner and TB cleaner.

I just lit mine on sat, 5 pumps and it lit first try.
Rodknock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the jet out and looked at it and it was very clean. I did not hold it up to the light. Someday I'll tear into it again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the illuminating photos, Rodknock. I just fired up my fridge yesterday for the first time this year. To my surprise, it lit and stayed lit. Shocked

Unfortunately, it also now emits a strong ammonia odour, so I think it's hosed, even though it did work well enough to make ice in those little ice cube trays.

Anyone have any information on whether an ammonia leak rings a death knell for the fridge, or if it's repairable? Somehow I doubt it can be repaired. Sad
'72 Super Beetle
'69 Camper Van - Corvair powered
'71 Window Van - Transferred Corvair from '69

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." - Internet RFC 1925

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the repair of the coolent loop to be VERY expensive. Call and find out. You never know. I saw a few reefers for sale. You could get lucky....

This could be a blessing in disguise. I recently saw a post with a different reefer installed....hint, hint....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this thread for an alternate frig in the same hole:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=175254

Plus others I have in the stickies, too.....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
tsombrero1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody considered replacing it with the Dometic RM4180M?

http://www.dometic.com/templates/Product,424,2689.aspx

The dimensions are kinda close. HWD 617x401x451mm instead of the stock RM182B's 596x431x438mm.

It looks like it would only stick out 13mm in front, but you might have to cut the cabinet to fit the extra 19mm height. But then you would have a spanky new fridge.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlowLane wrote:
Thanks for the illuminating photos, Rodknock. I just fired up my fridge yesterday for the first time this year. To my surprise, it lit and stayed lit. Shocked

Unfortunately, it also now emits a strong ammonia odour, so I think it's hosed, even though it did work well enough to make ice in those little ice cube trays.

Anyone have any information on whether an ammonia leak rings a death knell for the fridge, or if it's repairable? Somehow I doubt it can be repaired. Sad

A fellow Full moon bus club member up in Canada just sent me some parts off a fridge he had. He MAY still have the cabinet/cooling system off it! PM me your email and I'll try and get you to connected if you are intersted.
EXITSTRATEGY
Samba Member

Location: rolling thunder river company, nantahalla gorge. NC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes great pictures. let us know when you chase the gremlins out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: One thought, Rod... Reply with quote

Both you and I are at altitude, and both of us are having touble getting the fridges to light. I wish there were some adjustments possible besides just replacing that jet! I should look into that, though, and give you a report.

You're quite right about the little screws the Bentley folks forgot to tell us about. In the course of going back and forth with Winston's fridge, I also had to replace the intricately bent copper tubing the Bavarians had used to connect to the gas with modern high-pressure neoprene hoses. That's good in that it makes it easier to pull the fridge, and also offers some protection against vibration.

Thank you for a very good illustrated post on a subject that's very important!

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pdeschen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI. OP photos available from the Internet archive way back machine.

Moderator note: Thanks to the above time machine, photos have been restored in original post (saved to The Samba gallery).
an86carrera
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just removed a working one that I am willing to sell.
'08 Dodge 2500 diesel
'75 914
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: