Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

westfalia newbie
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanagonless
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: westfalia newbie Reply with quote

The past few months I've had an itch to get a westfalia. I've been doing some reading here and I'm set on a post '85 westy . My main question is can you get two car seats in the back seat? I have a 2 month old and a 18 month old. Also, how hard is it to put a 5th seat in a westfalia?

Thanks
-Lance
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The westy is a great kid hauler. I've been doing it for going on four years. My two are close like yours also. At first, it was alittle rough, if one or both began to fuss, they were way in the back....oooh...maybe that was good? Wink The lap belts make good anchors for the seat bases and then work well as they grow into full car seats.

The middle seat is a bonus, although somewhat rare as I hear. I'm lucky to have one. I also have a double, if I ever need to use it. They take up alot of your floor space..well all of it. It would bring the little ones closer.

My westy has about twice the room as our Oddyssey, but the Odditty gets twice the mileage, twice the A/C comfort and goes twic as fast.
peruvian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that the rear bench on an '85 only has lap belts. As the kids get older you will need to install 3 point seatbelts (very easy with kit from Go Westy). There is the middle seat option (which really has to be removed for camping) or a jump seat behind the passenger seat, facing backwards. Both are difficult, but not impossible, to find and can be pricey.
amtjk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our 85 Westy is the Weekender version which has the full width benchseat(since it doesnt have the kitchen) We can put 2 seats in, including a Britax Husky which is a monster, and still have room for an adult. Its cramped but not uncomfortable. It also has a back facing seat behind the drivers, so we can put 4 adults and two kids total in it.

art
vanagonless
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year, if any, vanagon westfalias have 3 point seatbelts in the back seat?

Thanks,
Lance
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: