Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gauges
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PennAir Parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges Reply with quote

I got my hands on these Claudes Buggies gauges the other day… they came out of a chop top that was built is the 70s. I was wondering how many of them are out there?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PennAir Parts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges Reply with quote

I got my hands on these Claudes Buggies gauges the other day… they came out of a chop top that was built is the 70s. I was wondering how many of them are out there?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
restojohnny
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges Reply with quote

PennAir Parts wrote:

Here in California I have found alot of the claudes buggies oil pressure and oil temp gauges in that style. The cylinder head temp one is the hard one to find ... AWSOME SCORE !!!! Cool
53 LHD, LH cargo door standard kombi
54 Pre-A Porsche
55 oval ribbed door non-semiphore
56 semiphore ragtop
63 notchback (work in progress)
67 OG black paint beetle sedan empi accessorized
67 original Empi GTV beetle convertible !!
67 euro squareback
67 deluxe walkthru (work in progress)
67 convertible ghia (work in progress)

"STAY OUTTA MY BACKYARD !!! "
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges Reply with quote

restojohnny wrote:
PennAir Parts wrote:

Here in California I have found alot of the claudes buggies oil pressure and oil temp gauges in that style. The cylinder head temp one is the hard one to find ... AWSOME SCORE !!!! Cool

Back in the early-1980s, one of my engineering-student colleagues at Cranfield Institute of Technology, on the Bedfordshire & Buckinghamshire border in England, had a Claude's Buggies catalogue which I briefly borrowed for interest. In those days, automotive parts & accessories mail-order catalogues were virtually unknown in the United Kingdom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cranfield_University#Cranfield_Institute_of_Technology_(1969-1993)

I suspect that what was then known as Claude's Buggies, later became known as CB Performance!?!

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges Reply with quote

I recently came across some pictures of a British Army surplus 6x6 Pinzgauer 718 off-road ambulance, which featured an interesting VDO Cockpit accessory style dual range speedometer (i.e. 0~90 mph & 0~150 kmph) with odometer & trip-counter, which if it is of the appropriate calibration, might be suitable for classic VWs!?!

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tstracy39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Gauges Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
I recently came across some pictures of a British Army surplus 6x6 Pinzgauer 718 off-road ambulance, which featured an interesting VDO Cockpit accessory style dual range speedometer (i.e. 0~90 mph & 0~150 kmph) with odometer & trip-counter, which if it is of the appropriate calibration, might be suitable for classic VWs!?!

Pinzgauer speedos are calibrated to 625 rpms equals 60 kilometers per hour indicated on the dial. So on a VW, it would indicate 16.8 kilometers too fast at 60 kilometers per hour.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=tstracy39

EverettB wrote:
I like your fork.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Gauges Reply with quote

tstracy39 wrote:
NASkeet wrote:

Pinzgauer speedos are calibrated to 625 rpms equals 60 kilometers per hour indicated on the dial. So on a VW, it would indicate 16.8 kilometers too fast at 60 kilometers per hour.

I had a feeling that identifying a VDO Cockpit speedometer with an appropriate speed range, would be too good to be true! Crying or Very sad

Who in their right mind, would want to drive a classic air-cooled VW at more than 90 mph, even if local laws misguidedly permit it!?!

Personally, I think an 80 mm diameter speedometer is too small, which was only one of the reasons I didn't use the following VDO Cockpit style speedometer that I bought as part of a job-lot of six gauges.

I would personally prefer to use a 105 mm diameter speedometer in my 1973 VW "1600" Type 2, with integral warning lights and fuel gauge, as factory-fitted to VW Type 1 Beetles.

Nigel A. Skeet

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Jump to:
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: