Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil overflow to breather box?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbow1076
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Oil overflow to breather box? Reply with quote

I have a question concerning oil over-flow tubes (vent) coming from my valve covers going to the top of my engine to a breather box. How does this work? Should I see oil in the lines every? I have clear lines and I drive my VW around and I never see any oil in it. Sometime I have oil that runs down from the oil fill tube, but the rubber tube is in good condition and tight. I would think if there was to much pressure then the vent tubes would fill with oil, but it doesn't seem to be doing that right now. Can someone please explain how this works or how it should be working?
Thanks,
Jeff
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by the Bentley shop manual, I would expect there to be no oil purging upwards since such a setup on a stock motor has air from the air clearn going into the valve covers.

The only oil I've seen is residual when I had vented covers. This is NOT an oil path/recirculation set up so don't expect to see pools of oil in them.
http://www.type3registry.com/ - The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excess case pressure would be vented from the oil breather to the air cleaner OR down a draft tube that exited below the engine.
http://www.type3registry.com/ - The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jbow1076
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My engine is a 2054cc, not stock. I have opened up the breather box and it is bone dry. I checked the oil level again and it seems to be correct. If I did have to much oil in the engine, would I be experiencing something like this. I just wouldn't figure that oil would be shooting up the oil fill tube and then leaking out between the rubber and the metal fill pipe.
Camp58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Stroker motors vs crankcase breathing Reply with quote

Flat four engines need extra room to breathe when any counter-weighted or stoker crankshaft is is installed. The Bugpack (Dee Engineering) breather kit is marginal on its best day, and I wouldn't recommend it for more than a 69mm counter-weighted crank. A one quart capacity breather box is being made by Clyde Berg and that should be enough capacity for an AS41 universal case or stock T or U prefix case. Not everyone can afford one of those beautiful boxes so you might consider an old Chevrolet bolt on canister-type oil filter used in the early 1950s, and also used on the Toyota Landcruiser 6 cylinder (metric chevy) engines into the late 1970s. If you remove the filter element and slip a funnel (that will fit inside with the small end up) under the lid and pass the center bolt thru it, to serve as a baffle, you can save some real money and have an effective breather box. That should allow your engine's oil to stay near the O.P. pick up tube instead of forcing it all out of the breather. Two tapped fittings at the bottom are there for your return lines too the crankcase or valve covers, to return any oil to the sump. Add a Tee and a small atmospheric breather to the lid by drilling and mounting them in gromments to the lid.( Brazing is and option for severe usage).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: