Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Serrano's Engines
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ghia Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Serrano's Engines Reply with quote

I am considering buying a 2332 turbo and was wondering if any one could vouche for their work as I live in Bama and dont hear much about them except through mags.
Any info i could get would be sweet, thanks.
This will likely change tomorrow to something else.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jamestwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't spend that kinda of money with them, and I've bought a lot of stuff from them-

The good

Good prices
They try to be honest

The bad
They are unorganized, they sent one order to me twice, i was honest and sent it back
the don't pay attention to detail
They are over worked

So, yea, if you said your were going to buy a set of carbs or even a stock long block, I would say yea , go for it.

But a turbocharged motor is about as complex as it gets, I'd go with a builder that specialized in turbo engines, like Vintage performance, Chico or Marty Scaggs..
bugracer99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearest VW store from me is a 180 mile round trip & since I have a serious VW habbit I buy several thousand min. in parts online every year. Serrano's has been the best of any I've delt with. They are both fast & honest. You get what you pay for with them. Others have engines for more & you might get better quality but I've always been happy with Serrano's stuff.
dragstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At very best, Serranos is an engine assembler, but not an engine builder.

There's a difference.

Go with an engine builder.

I bought one from them, wish there was a rewind on all this. It's not that it's a terrible engine, but I now have a better idea of the difference between builder/assembler.
flatfour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with Chico personally.
Namocsid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was tempted to buy a turnkey from seranno's since they are very attravctively priced, but I ended up going with Chico for a few reasons. 1. he's got a great reputation (not to say that seranno's doesn't). 2. he balances everything. 3. he dyno tunes most everything he builds, and 4. If Jake Raby recommends him for type 1 work, he must be good!

I'm pleased with my 1914 TK, he did a good job on it. Very Happy

Hold the pickles, it's 100% pure beef Namocsid!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vayabroder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Builder Reply with quote

Namocsid wrote:
I was tempted to buy a turnkey from seranno's since they are very attravctively priced, but I ended up going with Chico for a few reasons. 1. he's got a great reputation (not to say that seranno's doesn't). 2. he balances everything. 3. he dyno tunes most everything he builds, and 4. If Jake Raby recommends him for type 1 work, he must be good!

I second that: Chico is the guy.

Check their website at www.steelbuggin.com/
Namocsid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afterthought:

If and when you have a problem, Chico is all about service after the sale. I ended up needing a pair of Throwout bearing clips that I didn't get with my combo package, and he overnighted me a pair. I'm sure the shipping cost him about 5x as much as the clips, but that's how he operates. Great guy to deal with.

p.s. chico, can I get a big fat discout on an engine for my new bus with all this free advertising?

Hold the pickles, it's 100% pure beef Namocsid!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dragstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Namocsid wrote:

Had it to the track yet?
John M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chico is one of the most honest guys I have ever dealt with. If he gives you his word on something, he will come through every single time. No bullshit excuses here.

His service after the sale was amazing, he went above and beyond anything I could've asked for. I hope I have the pleasure of buying another engine from him. They really do KICK ASS!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by John M. on Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
sloans265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed Serrano's 1914cc in a '64 vert for my friend. He got the turn key version. So far okay I guess. Definately a bunch of parts just taken out of their boxes and assembled. Tomoorow morning I'll do final tuning and send it home. Didn't like how they used all the crappy hose that comes with the kad kit. Plus they installed fuel filter backwards Confused
Then theres the issue of all that made in taiwan sheet metal. I'm gonna let him run it in this Florida heat for a week or 2 and see how it does. I'll let ya know!

I did change out a few things like replaced the pushon hose fittings for the full flow with 8N fittings and REAL hose. Got correct idles & mains from AJ Sims for the kads plus installed pressure reg. Replaced that crappy fuel line w/correct 5m gas line.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jamestwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto

dragstart wrote:
At very best, Serranos is an engine assembler, but not an engine builder.

There's a difference.

Go with an engine builder.

I bought one from them, wish there was a rewind on all this. It's not that it's a terrible engine, but I now have a better idea of the difference between builder/assembler.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want turbo? Marty Staggs, Matt Davis, VW Paradise!!!!

Pick one of the 3 and you wont be sorry. I guarantee it!
64 Sunroof 2276cc IDA's
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who ever the guy is with that red bug better make sure that firewall insulation is secured behind the coling fan, or he'll be buying a new engine!

I have seen dozens of wasted engines because of that crappy new firewall material.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ScottK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:
Who ever the guy is with that red bug better make sure that firewall insulation is secured behind the coling fan, or he'll be buying a new engine!

I have seen dozens of wasted engines because of that crappy new firewall material.

Sorry to hijack, but what do you all suggest for firewall insulation? Mine is starting to come off (put it on new a year or so ago, the cheap flimsy stuff). I want to use something that looks better and that I don't have to worry about coming off and getting into the fan. Thanks,

Scott

Edit: I have a stock 1600 that I bought from Serranos (longblock not turnkey) and I have been very happy with it so far.
vanaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stripped the old stuff out and mounted a smooth stainless steel kit...I then insualted the inside firewall with dynamat like stuff....don't forget to insulate the right aand left roof line openings. this is a major source of interior noise. The stock solution on an older bug was to make tringle pillows out of healiner material and plug the channels. then install the headliner over them....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Loopole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chico.

i interviewed about 10 enigne builders/assembers. serrano was 10 chico was one. serrano was unbelieveably disorganized. Art thraen and Daren Guerola were also awsome but had longer wait times. spend it once.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loopole wrote:
chico.

i interviewed about 10 enigne builders/assembers. serrano was 10 chico was one. serrano was unbelieveably disorganized. Art thraen and Daren Guerola were also awsome but had longer wait times. spend it once.

I worked on one Serrano engine. It was a longblock and I had to replace the stock oil pump with an in/out pumps because it had a 911 shroud and a remote cooler. The pump cover that came with the engine already had 2 sets of wear marks from the gears. So this was the 3rd time this cover was being used and it was never resurfaced to remove the old marks. Even with buying a rebuilt long block with used parts, i'd expect the pump cover to be machined smooth.

It makes you wonder what's inside.

Chico builds nice stuff, but i'm going with Art Thraen. Art builds true custom built engines and he attention to detail is well worth the wait. He's also not cheap, so you have to weigh all the variables.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't go wrong with Art! He is a good friend of mine and knows his stuff inside and out.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Raby wrote:
Can't go wrong with Art! He is a good friend of mine and knows his stuff inside and out.

Sorry Jake, but i'm a Type 1 guy. I thought about EFI, Turbos and even a Type 4. But i'm just a Type 1 guy and IDAs looks so sweet compared to EFI.

For me it's just staying in my "comfort zone".

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: