Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heavy duty sway bar install - pics FAQ
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Heavy duty sway bar install - pics FAQ Reply with quote

Today I installed my heavy duty front sway bar that I got from Scott at German Supply a few weeks ago. It went very smoothly (almost too smoothly?), with just one minor glitch - the supplied bolts are the same length as stock, and they don't extend far enough through the thicker bar for a good grip. I tried using an air impact wrench to "snug" it up, but all I did was strip off the lower protruding threads off the bolt, thereby ruining it. I will replace these later.

I did the install on the hoist at the local military auto hobby shop - which helped immensely, although it wouldn't be impossible doing this at home on jackstands.

Of course, I read Ratwell's page on the sway-bar install beforehand, so I was aware of some of the pitfalls. I also took lots of before and after pics in case I didn't remember how things went together. Things all came apart quite easily, which is half the battle on any job. Now the red urethane bushings match my red Konis. I noticed a great improvement in the handling right away. So, Koni's, heavy duty sway bar - oops! damn my underspec Michelin LTX M+S tires!!! They're next ....

Before:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the ride affected?
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slaw wrote:
How is the ride affected?

Noticeably less lean in corners and switching lanes. Of course, I've only tested it on the way home, about 15 minutes, with a slight detour for a quick highway run. As for just straight ahead ride, nothing significant.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for mentioning the bolts. i will include the right length ones from now on.
sharpmore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i install both the front and rear heavy duty sway bars on my 71 high top bus i just got done with about 7800 miles since july, the first 3800 had just the front bar install and then installed the rear just before my trip to burningman, the rear made the biggest differnce, bus cut the corners like a sports car fully loaded and towing a 8' canvas tent trailer, didnt lose to much groud clearance with the rear bar install, but if you get the kit remember that the sway bar bushing bolts and sway bar to shock bolts are to short
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
thanks for mentioning the bolts. i will include the right length ones from now on.

Scott - the new bolts were the ones out of the Brazilian made package with new rubber mounts and the clamps. Both them and the stock VW bolts are 2 1/4" long. I would recommend at least 2 1/2" ones, but I think I'll go with 2 3/4" in length when I replace them. There would appear to be no issues with interfering with anything.

Meyer wrote:
HouseofGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott......any chance of a front sway bar for a narrowed beam coming out in the future?

Mike
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Heavy-duty, front & rear anti-roll bars Reply with quote

sharpmore wrote:
i install both the front and rear heavy duty sway bars on my 71 high top bus i just got done with about 7800 miles since july, the first 3800 had just the front bar install and then installed the rear just before my trip to burningman, the rear made the biggest differnce, bus cut the corners like a sports car fully loaded and towing a 8' canvas tent trailer, didnt lose to much groud clearance with the rear bar install, but if you get the kit remember that the sway bar bushing bolts and sway bar to shock bolts are to short

Hello Sharpmore, plus Darryl in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, et al.

I shall certainly be interested to learn more, about what is available re heavy-duty front & rear anti-roll bars (i.e. sway or anti-sway bars), for the 1968~79 VW Type 2, plus their effect.

I am aware that various bar diameters of various brands are (or at least were) available, including those from EMPI, Sway-A-Way and Whiteline. I read somewhere that 24 mm, adjustable front & rear anti-roll bars, were avilable from Whiteline, in Australia, but so far, have been unable to find any details.

As you might already know, torsional stiffness, is directly proportional to the fourth power of torsion-bar diameter, so one needs to be careful when selecting anti-roll bars, in order to balance the induced effects of oversteer and understeer contributions to the steering & suspension systems; not to mention the increase in overall suspension stiffness, under conditions of single-wheel bounce.

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwill49965 wrote:
I would recommend at least 2 1/2" ones, but I think I'll go with 2 3/4" in length when I replace them.

Make sure to use grade 10.9 bolts like the originals are/were, even if they're hard to find. Most hardware-store metric bolts are 8.8, but 10.9 and 12.9 is out there if you look hard enough.
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
dwill49965 wrote:
I would recommend at least 2 1/2" ones, but I think I'll go with 2 3/4" in length when I replace them.

Make sure to use grade 10.9 bolts like the originals are/were, even if they're hard to find. Most hardware-store metric bolts are 8.8, but 10.9 and 12.9 is out there if you look hard enough.

Good idea, Tritessa. The Brazilian ones were marked 5.8 on the hex head. I guess thats why the nut chewed up the threads so easily when I tried to tighten them with the air impact driver. I didn't see a marking on the ones that were on my stock bar, but they may not have been original VW.

Meyer wrote:
Hippopotabus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any opionions on the new sway? I'd love to see a trip report Wink on your experience with this sway bar on the freeway.

Everyone I talk to says once you do this upgrade the difference is unbelieveable.
sharpmore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the scat 25mm 7/8 sway bars in both front and rear of my 71 adventure wagon bus. pulling a trailer thru several mountian passes and driving thru calf bakersfeild aera in high winds the sway bars are a night and day differance from stock front and no rear as is from the factory, i also noticed a huge improvement when i updated from just the heavy duty front with coil over rear shocks to heavy duty sways front and rear, this old high top can get me in trouble with how stable she is, avg 10mph fast the recomend thru corners and that was because of the load i had on board, cant wait till a normal short camping trip to get full effect
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwill49965 wrote:
germansupplyscott wrote:

Scott - the new bolts were the ones out of the Brazilian made package with new rubber mounts and the clamps. Both them and the stock VW bolts are 2 1/4" long. I would recommend at least 2 1/2" ones, but I think I'll go with 2 3/4" in length when I replace them. There would appear to be no issues with interfering with anything.

I replaced my bolts with M10 x 65, 10.9 hardness. My measurements above are off by 1/4" (I measured including the hex head thickness Embarassed ), so the bolts that were in there for the stock bar were 50mm (2 inches). You could probably get away with M10 x 60 as well. I thought it would be a struggle to replace them while lying on the garage floor, but they popped right out.

Meyer wrote:
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Heavy-duty, front & rear anti-sway bars Reply with quote

sharpmore wrote:
i have the scat 25mm 7/8 sway bars in both front and rear of my 71 adventure wagon bus. pulling a trailer thru several mountian passes and driving thru calf bakersfeild aera in high winds the sway bars are a night and day differance from stock front and no rear as is from the factory, i also noticed a huge improvement when i updated from just the heavy duty front with coil over rear shocks to heavy duty sways front and rear, this old high top can get me in trouble with how stable she is, avg 10mph fast the recomend thru corners and that was because of the load i had on board, cant wait till a normal short camping trip to get full effect

Hello Sharpmore.

Like you, I also have some "coil over rear shocks" on my 1973 VW Type 2; namely Monroe Load Levelers, which I bought by mail order from Demon Tweeks.

You said, "I have the Scat 25mm 7/8 sway bars in both front and rear of my 71 adventure wagon bus", which confuses me somewhat!

7/8 of an inch, corresponds to 22 mm, to the nearest whole millimetre. Exactly one inch, corresponds to approximately 25·399 mm.

Several years ago, I salvaged from a British specification, Ford Granada Mk. 1 sedan, a 25 mm diameter front anti-sway bar, whose width and other dimensions, seemed to match almost exactly, the requirements of my 1973 VW Type 2 rear suspension, for which I would need to fabricate some sort of bracket, to mount it to the rear torsion-bar tube.

However, I am concerned that unless this 25 mm diameter, rear-mounted anti-sway bar, were complemented by a suitably heavy-duty, front anti-sway bar, the nett effect might be excessive oversteer. My other concern, is that of excessively stiff suspension, with regard to single-wheel bounce.

Having driven a car, which at one time suddenly changed from understeer to oversteer (which I was able to rectify, using wheels of offset, differing by 15 mm), in the blink of an eye, when negotiating sharp bends under power, I am exceedingly wary of major suspension, steering alignment and wheel & tyre modifications!

Regards.

Nigel A. Skeet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
barryman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your pix really helped me with my own installation, I used your exact method and I had it installed in less than an hour. I may install longer bolts like you did...mine seem a bit short. Great job though, thanks for the killer post!

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
caldwell54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the best place to get a new heavy duty front sway bar ? I need one for my 1978 Westy.

Thanks
Dean
barryman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine from bus-boys.com. $100 + shipping and that includes all you need to install it. Cheapest I found it anywhere else was $120 for all parts. You may want to get some longer bolts though.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gumbajv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had both front & rear 22mm sway a-way bars on my '68 crewcab. While the front makes a difference, not sure about the back. With the bar mounted and one side connected at the lower shock mount, disconnect the other side and move it up & down. On mine, it moved 3"-4" + before I started to feel any resistance. That's at least how much the bus would need to lean before the bar started to do anything. Would be interested to know what other people are getting. It could be due to the length of the returns. I was going to shorten them up and mount them to the spring plates to take the slop out.
baumer99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to add my personal experience and comment on dwill49965's next step.....

So, Koni's, heavy duty sway bar - oops! damn my underspec Michelin LTX M+S tires!!! They're next ....

I have done the front and rear sway bar upgrade with terrific results.

As for a next step, tires are definitely the next part of the upgrade. I was running 14" 195 Michelin LTX tires on stock rims, but the stiffer suspension really made it clear the tires were not up to the new task, the sidewalls are too tall. I ended up adding 15" Audi rims with the 205 65 Michelin Agilis tires and wow, the van rides like I never thought these vans could ride.

I was already running KYB shocks and now I am perfectly content with how well Vicki handles. High winds, passing semi's, just general body roll are all much more to my liking now. At one point I wanted to buy a "sports" car (I used to own two scirocco's) as a second car, now I no longer need to, she's all the sports I want or need.

Aaron &
Vicki - 78 Riviera
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: For safest fastener engagement, it's best to have three (3) threads minimum beyond the nut -- of course, any beyond that is a waste. A bolt end that is flush to the nut is NOT fully engaged and is NOT safe!
The First Invasion
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: