Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Overheating problem...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
70fasty
ITMC Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Overheating problem... Reply with quote

Ok I am pretty positive my problem has to do with all this...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1 is the heater box
2 is the pipe that runs along the heads and meats with the pipe from the heater box before it enters the car
3 is the opening from the fan shroud

Me and my dad were thinking of running alluminum hose from 3 to 1 on both sides. 2 would stay open, would that work? I have 2 heater elbows (the elbow that links 1,2, and 3 all together) but it doesnt fit up because of the aftermarket exhaust. So I don't think the elbows will help at all.

But Looking furthur I encountered another problem

This is where the heater box meets up with a pipe leading into the car, but as you can see its not linked here... I don't know if it is possible to reconnect it.

So please help me out, I can take more detailed pics if needed.

ITMC
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69sqbck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: heat Reply with quote

You can link 1 to 3 with aluminum hose. Block off 2 and reconnect the heater boxes to the car with aluminum hose. I have done this and the heat works great. Anthony at ISP West sells the aluminum hose that is the right size for this application.
1969 Type 3 Fastback
(o)\|/(o) Sole Designs, VW Restorations, Savannah, GA
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70fasty
ITMC Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not talking about getting the heat to work, I need the car to stop overheating. the oil light flickers after about 45 minutes on the highway/20 minutes in the city.

ITMC
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you run the heaterboxes and don't hook up the hoses, it will overheat....
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do as is suggested and you solve both problems.

Heating and cooling are intertwined on ACVWs. You can rarely have one without the other.
nodrenim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John M is correct, you must get the heat out of the heater boxes. After all they are heat sinks and will hold the heat too near the engine. One way to solve the problem would be to use 'J' tubes in place of the heater boxes, and close off the openings from the blower. This way you have no heat in the car and all the air will go to cool the engine. Good luck!
69sqbck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: heat Reply with quote

Sorry, I thought you wanted the heat to work. Do as the last few folks said, take the heater boxes off and replace with J tubes: http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DD%2D2510%2D11 then cap the ends of the fan shroud and you should be good. Just a note, you have to buy type 3 J tubes, nothing else will fit.
1969 Type 3 Fastback
(o)\|/(o) Sole Designs, VW Restorations, Savannah, GA
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a proven fact in an article in Hot VW's a while back, that J-Tubes actually make the head run hotter. There is nothing to keep the radiated heat of the J-Tube for getting to the head. Unless you install heat shields.
Best thing is, to put the cooling system as close to stock as you can. And if you want to run headers, connect the fan housing outlets to the heater boxes. If you cant do that, cap the outlets from the fan housing, to quit dumping cooling air out of the fan housing. A soda can and a hose clamp is the perfect size to cap them off.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
lrb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Overheating problem...and questions Reply with quote

I'm new to the air-cooled concept, but what are signs that the car is about to overheat? 70Fasty mentioned the oil light flickers after running the car for a while. What other indicators are there? Is there a way to check temp? Thanks guys!
Godsbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your oil light will flicker or come on. When you oil light comes on, pull over immediately! The Idiot Book has some good stuff on it. Read it to get the feel and some principles of AC VW's, and get a Bentley to work on it and you should be pretty good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70fasty
ITMC Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hooked up the alluming flex tubing today and drove it around for a good while, no overheating! Thanks guys! Now I just need to tune the engine so it doesnt hesitate so much...

ITMC
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Overheating problem... Reply with quote

70fasty wrote:
Ok I am pretty positive my problem has to do with all this...

1 is the heater box
2 is the pipe that runs along the heads and meats with the pipe from the heater box before it enters the car
3 is the opening from the fan shroud

Me and my dad were thinking of running alluminum hose from 3 to 1 on both sides. 2 would stay open, would that work? I have 2 heater elbows (the elbow that links 1,2, and 3 all together) but it doesnt fit up because of the aftermarket exhaust. So I don't think the elbows will help at all.

But Looking furthur I encountered another problem

This is where the heater box meets up with a pipe leading into the car, but as you can see its not linked here... I don't know if it is possible to reconnect it.

So please help me out, I can take more detailed pics if needed.

What I did to our fasty was that we just covered the opening from the fun shroud going to the heater box exchange. But we did that because Philippines is a tropical country and heater is definitely not desirable. Instead we need airconditioning units. We also placed all the necessary tins aroud the engine to isolate the hot air from the cool air.

What is important is that all cool air must be enrting the grills on the fenders and the engine must be suck the hot air that passes the cylinder heads and liners.
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
slamrbri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70fasty wrote:
I hooked up the alluming flex tubing today and drove it around for a good while, no overheating! Thanks guys! Now I just need to tune the engine so it doesnt hesitate so much...

Did you end up getting the hose from ISP West or was it something you got locally? I've got the same problem.
70fasty
ITMC Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slamrbri wrote:
70fasty wrote:

Did you end up getting the hose from ISP West or was it something you got locally? I've got the same problem.

At the local VW shop they had 2 1/2 inch thick empi alluminum flex hose, I bought them and some hose clamps and tightened them down. It's a little hard to get them on, but they work great!

ITMC
FASTBACKDON
The other insensitive jerk like Neil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70fasty wrote:
I'm not talking about getting the heat to work, I need the car to stop overheating. the oil light flickers after about 45 minutes on the highway/20 minutes in the city.

Hole number 3 should NOT BE OPEN!!! I do not have heater boxes. I went to kragen auto parts bougt 2each 1 7/8 inch expandable freeze plugs and pluged the fan housing do that and your overheating problems should vanish
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Philippines, we don't restore the heating system of volkswagens because we live in a tropical country wherein airconditioning units are favored.

'67 Splitty Bus
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air Conditioning in a convertible ??? Surprised

Just teasing.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
Air Conditioning in a convertible ??? Surprised

Just teasing.

Yeah, Russ. Because of the tropical climate in the Philippines, we installed a/c unit on out Karmann Ghia Vert. But, of course, when the top is down, definitely, the a/c unit is off. And that the way it is here? Very Happy Very Happy
'67 Splitty Bus
pitslayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Godsbug wrote:
Your oil light will flicker or come on. When you oil light comes on, pull over immediately! The Idiot Book has some good stuff on it. Read it to get the feel and some principles of AC VW's, and get a Bentley to work on it and you should be pretty good.

yeh pulling over is usually good thing to do, my fastback use to over heat like a bugger. also noticed that the car was very hesitant when it gets hot. then it cuts out, then wont start for 4 hours and sits tehre smoking like its on fire...then when it starts it`ll drive 12miles with no oil in it, 3 cylinders, one melted piston. and will finall give up after 12 miles....

althought according to everyone on here this doesnt work at all, but you can run an induction kit into the airbox. i drove to bugjam last year and it took 8 hours due to overheating. i bought some flexy heater pipe stuff. took 2 bolts out of the decklid(ones closet to the car) so that it hinges wierdly, stick the pipes into the airbox. and out the top of the decklid. now of course this apparantly doesnt work, even thow the fan sucked air through the pipes, because you could hear it and feel it, and of course because it didnt work, i was able to 95mph all the way back constant without any overheating, and it never overheated again either. even when i rerouted the pipes to under the car...but like i said it doesnt work thow according to most people on here Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitslayer wrote:
Godsbug wrote:

yeh pulling over is usually good thing to do, my fastback use to over heat like a bugger. also noticed that the car was very hesitant when it gets hot. then it cuts out, then wont start for 4 hours and sits tehre smoking like its on fire...then when it starts it`ll drive 12miles with no oil in it, 3 cylinders, one melted piston. and will finall give up after 12 miles....

althought according to everyone on here this doesnt work at all, but you can run an induction kit into the airbox. i drove to bugjam last year and it took 8 hours due to overheating. i bought some flexy heater pipe stuff. took 2 bolts out of the decklid(ones closet to the car) so that it hinges wierdly, stick the pipes into the airbox. and out the top of the decklid. now of course this apparantly doesnt work, even thow the fan sucked air through the pipes, because you could hear it and feel it, and of course because it didnt work, i was able to 95mph all the way back constant without any overheating, and it never overheated again either. even when i rerouted the pipes to under the car...but like i said it doesnt work thow according to most people on here Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

if you had bothered to put up or shut up like you had originally stated you would, we might have gotten off of your ass..

post up some pics of your brilliant engineering and we'll see... until then, you are still an idiot...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: