Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question about paint Jobs.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thecaptian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Question about paint Jobs. Reply with quote

I am considering getting a paint job for "the ship" (all those little pits are starting to add up. I am curious about the interior though. I wan a different paint scheme than the original white and since the interior is white I would like to get that painted as well to match. Has anyone who got a paint job painted both interior and exterior, do they have to strip it down to get the inside or is it best to just get painted what is visible. Any advice is as always much appreciated.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIG job.
I've only gone to that much trouble with one car, my Beetle. Still have it, but I did the work myself, complete strip down if you want a super job. If you think you want the inside to match, then you are already fussy, so any thing less is not going to satisfy you.
White is my favrite for a vanagon, particularly a Westy. I'm thinking of doing the strip down on my Westy to make it white! Problem is I'll loose a season with it in bits.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered changing the color of my Bus too but I have the same problem as you do, 90% of the interior sheetmetal on mine is white. The best thing to do if your not willing to change the inside sheetmetal color is to keep a certain amount of white on the outside to match, as in two-tone. Here's some examples that I whipped up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These are just some of the colors that I was working with. If you go the two tone route, keep in mind that the white used on these Buses is very much on the off white side. The tone of that first image (that bright green) doesn't go very well with the muddy off white. A softer tone would suit the color better. Coppers and oranges would go well since the original off white has yellowish undertone to it. I didn't do a version of it but I always that that a two-tone Bus would look good done in the original white combined with 2001-2005 VW Fresco Green Metallic (LA6W/3P). It was used primarily on the Passat's. It's kind of a medium, soft fern-like green.

Just some ideas.

Painting the inside is a huge undertaking to do it right. All three doors and the rear hatch need to come off in order to do a quality job. On top of that, the dash and front carpet should be pulled out as well. This is just a minimum of things to remove to do a quality job. Stripping the entire interior out would be the best method though.[/img]

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
tikibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loogy,
Nice Renderings!!

The Third one down is really nice... Mellow.

Silver Fleck paint would make it Uuber Sexy!

You giving me ideas to spend money Shocked Shocked Wink
Founding member of the Empire State VW Camping Club.
http://www.empirevwcamping.org/
1984 Westy - Tiki
1997 Honda Civic -The Green Hornet
1971 Volvo P-1800E- needs TLC
thecaptian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice- thanks guys and Loogy if you don't mind I just mite use one of you renderings I'm with third on this one I really like the third one form the top. Of course props will be given. Oh and are those Audi rims?
bunker108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with loogy on this one. Keep some of the bus white and go with another color to set it off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: