Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I live inportland and I want a removable seat
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IanMay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: I live inportland and I want a removable seat Reply with quote

I'm trying to get some sort of removable middle bench seat for my 84 westy. Any ideas? I saw another thred with lettle results. Ian
thecaptian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure that some one else is way more qualified than me to answer this, but it seems that a Jumper seat like in a Vanagon mite be a pretty easy opinion. I don't know about the seat stays in the floor but the latching mechanism just bolts rite up. But again I am not to familiar with westy interiors. And also the jumpers seats are backwards.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 85 Westy is set up for the center seat. You can add all the stuff from a regular window van if you want to. You may need to cut the wooden floor sections if you do not have the rails.

I do NOT like that seat, so I don't have one. Someday, I will put in a later model jump seat behind the passenger front seat. Someday, somewhere....under the rainbow, skys are....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the middle seat for a while, it was too heavy and clunky to easily remove and re-insert. It mainly sat in the hanger with my airshow dummy, Baldric, sitting in it, kind of creepy. So I sold it.

I am leaning for the jump seat option myself. I am looking at putting a LandRover Discovery jumpseat in vice the VW seat. They fold flatter and are a lot cooler with a simpler mounting system and integral seat belts.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 84 Westy has the "removable" center seat (rails/covers are built in floor), but I too keep it out, as it is heavy, and when installed it has to be bolted to floor.

So, you'd either want it in and give up the open floor area in front of the stove/sink, or carry passengers like the passenger van. I bought a Westy, not a passenger van.
mobowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a two-seater middle seat for my 86 Westy out of an 81 passenger van. I have the two tracks in the floor, so it slid right in.

A couple of observations: the position of the middle seat makes sitting in the rear/z-bed seat pretty cramped, the 2 seater middle seat is pretty heavy/bulky and a bit tricky to line up with the tracks to slide in, and (obvious) you won't have access to the fridge while it's in there.

That said, I'm looking forward to using this seat for camping and hauling around more than 4 passengers this summer. When I take it camping, I plan to pull it out when I get there and leave it by the campfire. Hopefully it'll work out ...

I found mine on Craig's list for $50 so if you look around, you can probably find one cheap too.

If you don't need seating for 2 extras, it sounds like the jump seat might be the better option.

Good luck.

My wife's photography site: http://www.lisadavenock.com
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem w/ the Jump seat is: not very many people like riding facing backwards, at least not for a long ride. I only leave the driver side one in my Carat, and it hardly gets used.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can slide that in backwards allowing plenty of room between the 2nd and 3rd row seating..

only problem with removing while camped is morning DEW and over night rain.. but from an 81 it's liekly vinyl so that won't be as much a problem as the ones in my late syncro..

I've also toyed witht he idea of removing(torching) the tracks from a 2seat base, and welding then to a conversion van middle swivel
but liability would be caveat empor based on the quality of the welds.
unless a mechanical fastener(bolt) could pass thru the swivel base to the chassis/frame but I don't have that many passangers to carry.. so haven't chased that white rabbit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mobowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you can slide that in backwards allowing plenty of room between the 2nd and 3rd row seating..

Hey, good idea! Why didn't I think of that? Might make me feel like a limo driver, though, with everyone facing each other and having fun back there... Crying or Very sad

Quote:
only problem with removing while camped is morning DEW and over night rain.. but from an 81 it's liekly vinyl so that won't be as much a problem as the ones in my late syncro..

Actually it's cloth but I'm thinking of using a bbq cover to keep it dry overnight...

My wife's photography site: http://www.lisadavenock.com
IanMay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: How about this seat???? Reply with quote

Do you guys think I could mount this puppy in there? Anyone have experience with these seats? Apparently these are on some sort of quick release mechanism.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=367980
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have to look real close first, I would think.

Who knows, maybe it is the same basic setup as the Vanagon.

Never know until you look!

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: