Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

091 trans and type 1 motor
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ntsqd wrote:
aquamanx wrote:

Did you still have to cut the input shaft of the 091 when using the 002 B/H?

Just to confirm, I've not yet cut it, but it is pretty obvious that it is too long.

Instead of shorting the 091 input shaft, you can just replace it with the 002 input shaft to work with the 002 bellhousing. They are identical with the exception being that the part that fits into the gland nut is ~1/2" shorter. It's pretty easy to do since you will already have the bellhousings off of both trannys anyway.
That's what I did so that no cutting or grinding was necessary.
jwms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 trans and type 1 motor Reply with quote

so how do you get the shaft out? I have the snap ring off but can't get the shaft out. I know it unscrews, but with the tranny out everything turns. What should I keep from turning?

Edit:

Never mind! I got it out!
Dan_Lockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 trans and type 1 motor Reply with quote

I have a 5-rib and didn't know I had the 091 bell housing on the 002 transaxle.

I looked at the input shaft on this 5-rib I bought and the input shaft had just over 3/8" longer smooth finish on the gland nut area. I never tried it on my Type-1 motor, but was told to cut the end off. I put a new gland nut on my shaft and it was loose further in and that forced me to replace it. I bought an 002 '69/'71 short input shaft.

When I pulled the bell housing off, I noticed that I had an 091 prefix part number cast inside the bell housing. Didn't know why. The guy when reminded about it said, Oh, I had the 5-rib and the 1800 motor and went to the 2000 motor and wanted the bell housing to match the bigger motor.

When I was doing my shaft swap, I noticed that my pinion bearing was able to be turned inside the main housing and then that required a complete tear down of the transaxle. All fixed and picked it up today.

For the starter though, I needed a starter and bought the kit with the TDI starter with the appropriate spacer for the 091 bell housing. Got the starter AND adapter for $156, what a deal... Smile

All I know is that an early 002 with the short shaft will bolt right up to a Type-1 and a '74/'75 5-rib will need to have a shorter input shaft. Not sure about '72/'73 002 transaxles. I was just told to get a short shaft from a '69/'71 002. They all may be the same, short shaft, '69/'73, but not sure.

Good luck with your swapping.

Dan
jwms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 091 trans and type 1 motor Reply with quote

thanks, Dan!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: