Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Glass etching; Sigla, Sekurit, etc.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject: Glass etching; Sigla, Sekurit, etc. Reply with quote

does anyone know of a method to etch original style "labels" such as Sekurit,Sigla,etc. onto new glass? i thought i had heard of someone doing it years back.any ideas?
58Type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 9:36 am    Post subject: glass etching; Sigla,Sekurit etc. Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forums/general/forum.ph...ld=subject
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lenny copp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: glass etching; Sigla,Sekurit etc. Reply with quote

What year glass are you talking about.. I have the large one in three styles.

1. Like tghis one with two dots over the U

2. Like this with two dots one over the T and one over the S

3. Like this with no dots

http://www.classicvws.com/pics/Sekurit-1.jpg

I'm working on the later ones now...

Lenny
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: glass etching; Sigla,Sekurit etc. Reply with quote

I have seen glass etching done with sandblasting. If you made a stencil of the Sekurit lettering you could probably do it
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: glass etching; Sigla,Sekurit etc. Reply with quote

just an idea, But my sister used to buy etching paste from like micheals craft store, all she did to etch wedding glasses etc, was to apply a cardboard stencil rubb on the paste and let it sit for like 20 minutes and then wash it off with water. worked awesome
Kosmicride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: glass etching; Sigla,Sekurit etc. Reply with quote

that would work mindfusion, or some duck tape and a stencil like lenny is using.
I would say it would be easier to even acid etch the glass. I think i heard that is how it was done at the factory's
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: glass etching; Sigla,Sekurit etc. Reply with quote

Watch out for acid etch solution. Some of the kits use Hydrofluoric Acid. You need to use Nitrile rubber gloves, and DO NOT breathe the fumes. I really don't know why they allow that stuff to be sold, it is one of the most dangerous chemicals known to man. I'm not some sort of chemophobic person, but it is really intense stuff.

http://www.cbs.state.or.us/external/osha/pdf/hazards/hzrdalrt.pdf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: glass etching; Sigla,Sekurit etc. Reply with quote

yeah the paste was an acid, you had to wear gloves and stuff, but I remember the longer you left it the flatter it looked, so my sister just used to leave it for a while, then wash it off and if she needed darker, she would reapply. its only like 20 bucks for a complete kit I think.
Anti-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: glass etching; Sigla,Sekurit etc. Reply with quote

The original thread was mine. Lenny, if you're reading, how are you doing the glass---with acid or blasting? What would you use for the template to protect the glass?

With the acid etch kit, I would think the template would have to be some kind of nonporous adhesive, like vinyl, that would not absorb the acid, allow it to get to the glass, or be affected by it. Anyone know?

Chris
JHC
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: glass etching; Sigla,Sekurit etc. Reply with quote

I think the best bet with the acid is to use the ready made kit, it comes with the gloves chemicals and all template material required. Check micheals or a similar craft/hobby store
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: glass etching; Sigla,Sekurit etc. Reply with quote

I build alot of furntiture, and in some, like a cabinet with glass doors. I will etch the glass. I use a little kit you can get at any "Hobby Lobby" for about 9.95. Its about like what mindfusion is talking about. Its kind of a paste but little more milky. You stencil out your design with pre bought stencils ,or use some tape. Then u brush the etcher on and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Then all you do is wipe it off with a damp cloth. Works very well and looks very professional.

-Xrak
Anti-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: glass etching; Sigla,Sekurit etc. Reply with quote

Right I understand the importance of buying the kit and all, but what I am saying is that the little SECURIT thing is detailed and I have to do six of them. I can't make this with an xacto knife; I want to scan the logo that I do have and give the file to one of the those vinyl sign shops that use a computer controlled machine to make the template on vinyl. But there is no point in doing that if the vinyl will be attacked by the acid used for the etching. So does anyone know what the template material that comes with the kits is made out of?
Kosmicride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: glass etching; Sigla,Sekurit etc. Reply with quote

Anti, Making the reverse stencils for that is not what you think. Unless you have a freind that will do it for free it will cost you a pretty penny. Not to mention that you will have to make sure you attach all the little O in the R while you stencil it. If your going to go that rounte just have them make you the glass etched vinyl stickers.

http://www.shopsmartxpress.com/AmeriGls/AmrDefault.htm?G2.htm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Kosmicride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: glass etching; Sigla,Sekurit etc. Reply with quote

oh yeah follow the link and all the way down on the page. Etching resist paper.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: glass etching; Sigla,Sekurit etc. Reply with quote

The fluid included with the kit I use doesnt do anything to vinyl.
Anti-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: glass etching; Sigla,Sekurit etc. Reply with quote

YOU GUYS ARE DE GREATEST! Yes I meant to yell!

Ok, I think I will go on down to my local sign dude and ask how much for a single page of SEKURIT stencils. If cheap, I will do it and sell the extras here. If not cheap, I will find out how much the little "glass etched vinyl stickers" would be as well as how well they would stand up on glass. When I find out, I will report back.

Some large VW parts place with the initials WW should see about having these stencils made and selling them with the etch fluid. Then anybody with a local glass shop to cut the glass can have correct looking glass again.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:37 pm    Post subject: glass etching; Sigla,Sekurit etc. Reply with quote

amen!
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:51 pm    Post subject: glass etching; Sigla,Sekurit etc. Reply with quote

Here is another alternative that is relatively cheap. I haven't tried it yet but the guy at the auto glass shop says it works great.

Take your trace/photo of the logo to a print shop that makes rubber stamps. Have them make a rubber stamp (about $20 bucks). Use the acid kit from the hobby shop and lightly coat the stamp and press it against the glass. The glass guy says you can even do it with the glass in place because the acid goo is thick enough not to run.

This sounds like a good idea if you have a lot of windows to do. Here is the logo I am having made:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/78709.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mynameismud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:41 am    Post subject: glass etching; Sigla,Sekurit etc. Reply with quote

Anti-

E-mail me - christ its not expensive to run vinyl- you can get it in a light frost too -probaly no more than $10.00
busracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:33 pm    Post subject: glass etching; Sigla,Sekurit etc. Reply with quote

the rubber stamp idea is great. i just checked the pic , great job! i forgot i posted this thread and thank everyone for their responses. jeff maybe consider selling the stamps. rob
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: