Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
begood56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Hello fellers,
It’s been a while since I last posted something on The Samba. I have a 59 mango bus with Wolfgang IRS in the rear. The front has a Wagenswest 4in narrow.
My question is why is it such a hassle to get it probably aligned??? Took it to a local shop and they just made it worse. Went to another shop and they didn’t even want to take a stab at it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

You know what they say, if you want something done right, do it yourself.

Alignment is not a mysterious process, just takes time and concentration. The bently manual has all the info, and it should still apply even with a lowered beam.
begood56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply ‘cdennisg’ and you’re right. I just wanted a “professional” to get it perfect. I know the front is just toe setting but what I’m have trouble is the rear irs adjustments. Seems the rear there’s toe and camber that can be set.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

begood56vw wrote:
Thanks for the reply ‘cdennisg’ and you’re right. I just wanted a “professional” to get it perfect. I know the front is just toe setting but what I’m have trouble is the rear irs adjustments. Seems the rear there’s toe and camber that can be set.

Front camber is adjustable, and maybe even more important than the rear. If you have not seen how it's done, there are a series of shims on the inner and outer sides of the link pins to make the adjustments. Toe-in/toe-out is done with the tie rods as you mentioned.

Rear camber on an IRS is a little different, and is somewhat subject to the ride height setting. There is limited camber adjustment in that system without adding shims. Rear toe is set with the slotted holes in the trailing arms. Might want to refer to a late Beetle service manual for the rear IRS adjustments as that is essentially what you have back there.
begood56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

You’re absolutely right on the front shims adjustment. I followed the instructions showing the shims/offset from the top to bottom spindle arms. I feel confident I got that dialed.

I’m going to give it a try to adjust the rear!! The issue that I have is when I’m on the road, say going 60mph, it likes to wonder side to side. No bueno!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

begood56vw wrote:
You’re absolutely right on the front shims adjustment. I followed the instructions showing the shims/offset from the top to bottom spindle arms. I feel confident I got that dialed.

I’m going to give it a try to adjust the rear!! The issue that I have is when I’m on the road, say going 60mph, it likes to wonder side to side. No bueno!

Lots of possibilities there. Wide/ sporty tires can cause the steering to dart around a little with the grooves in the road. Tire pressure settings can be more sensitive, etc.

How is your steering box?
begood56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
begood56vw wrote:

Lots of possibilities there. Wide/ sporty tires can cause the steering to dart around a little with the grooves in the road. Tire pressure settings can be more sensitive, etc.

How is your steering box?

Steering wheel is the original but solid. The bus is lowered but I thought I had quality parts installed.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Not the steering wheel, the steering box. Bottom of the column is a cast iron box that connects to the Pittman arm. If it is sloppy, that can cause issues.
begood56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

That’s what I meant. The steering box, underneath the bus, is solid. All new suspension items.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

begood56vw wrote:
That’s what I meant. The steering box, underneath the bus, is solid. All new suspension items.

Where are you located? Do you have a good VW shop in the area? They may be able to get it dialed in for you, or recommend who they use for this type of work.
begood56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
begood56vw wrote:

Where are you located? Do you have a good VW shop in the area? They may be able to get it dialed in for you, or recommend who they use for this type of work.

I’m in Santa Cruz, California..
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

if you feel you have shims correct, take a tape measure and use the center groove of the front tires and pigeon tow the front tires about 1/8", having extra set of hands helps, measure frontside vs backside of tires, frontside should be about 1/8" less then backside. also check to make sure you have adjusters set the same, so same number of teeth are showing so both torsion leaf packs have same load on them
begood56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

64 ragtop volks wrote:
if you feel you have shims correct, take a tape measure and use the center groove of the front tires and pigeon tow the front tires about 1/8", having extra set of hands helps, measure frontside vs backside of tires, frontside should be about 1/8" less then backside. also check to make sure you have adjusters set the same, so same number of teeth are showing so both torsion leaf packs have same load on them

Thank you for the info. Yes, having someone help would make it a lot easier to check the the alignment. I will definitely try again to make sure toe in is an 1/8” in the front more than the back of the tire.
Oh and affirmative on the adjusters been the same. Thanks again.
Callook59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

62 Double Cab. I drive it 300-500 miles per week

CB beam narrowed to 4”
64-67 arms and spindles
Dubfab 4” welded spindles
Wagens West 944 vented / Wilwood 4 piston front discs
15x5’a 175/50R15

68 long axle/long spline trans
Vintage Vdubs adjustable offset spring plates
Wagens West 944 vented / Wilwood 4 piston rear discs
15x6’s 205/60R15

56 Oval Window 2175 turbo
56 Euro Karmann Ghia
62 Double Cab
70 Bug convertible (my first car)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VolksNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Thanks Mandraks! Yeah, diameter I was thinking wouldn't affect fitment too much. Only noted to give a reference. It's offset that really concerns me. I've been looking at wheels on here and have found some styley Porsche Graku mesh wheels as well. It's all the same though aesthetics wise. Does no one care about offset? Is it not a factor? No one has been mentioning it in their posts... You're right about 3 piece wheels. I guess if I'm really concerned about not getting screwed I can buy them then modify the barrels to make them fit correctly... Ive seen a couple buses with mesh wheels and they were bitchin!
VolksNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Callook59 wrote:

62 Double Cab. I drive it 300-500 miles per week

CB beam narrowed to 4”
64-67 arms and spindles
Dubfab 4” welded spindles
Wagens West 944 vented / Wilwood 4 piston front discs
15x5’a 175/50R15

68 long axle/long spline trans
Vintage Vdubs adjustable offset spring plates
Wagens West 944 vented / Wilwood 4 piston rear discs
15x6’s 205/60R15

Gorgeous Doka! Mine will look very similar when it gets done in 20 years. Nate is working on my suspension kit as I type this. I can't wait until it's delivered! I built a 2017 CB Performance engine to go in it, too. My goal is to daily it.

Anyway, nice build!
Callook59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

I switched to a 205/50R15 and bumped the front up about 3/4”. Rear wheels are at -1* camber. Fewer steering box scrapes for my daily driver.

56 Euro Karmann Ghia
62 Double Cab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

Which tire size feels better with the gearing?
Callook59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Specs. of tire, wheel, and suspension - Lowered Buses Reply with quote

John Ghia wrote:
Which tire size feels better with the gearing?

I liked the 205/60 better. It felt like it pulled harder through the gears and would run 75 Mph, comfortably cruising at a little over 60. Now 55 Mph is about 3300 RPM and 65 is the top end. I have a 4.37 trans with a stock 1600 that has Kadrons and a header.

56 Euro Karmann Ghia
62 Double Cab
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60
Jump to:
Page 60 of 60

Jump to: