Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Honorable Kafer Dave
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
budmanbusfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 2:34 pm    Post subject: The Honorable Kafer Dave Reply with quote

If we keep our comments true to the hobby and not respond to the children who are infiltrating our forums, they will get bored and go away. I am honored to see "Kafer Dave" posting on this sight. I would hate to see these kids force him away. Please stay with us Dave. I don't like to wait a month to read your thoughts on our hobby. These kids will eventually grow up and grow out of it. Lets get back to talking about VWs.

Hey kids, if you can't step up and use INTELLIGENT humor, sell your Dasher and go back to the shallow end of the pool!

Fred,
Notch
Fastback
'Vert
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 4:26 pm    Post subject: The Honorable Kafer Dave Reply with quote

Thanks, Fred. I has somewhat thick skin, and it would take quite a bit to chase me away, although it has been done on another internet VW forum. The one thing I have learned is that there are as many different outlooks and personalities in this hobby as there are VWs, and NO ONE thinks exactly like you do. Me? I'd take Carlos' split, or Eric's, tub that Mutha, and stick a 2387 with a TO-4 turbo and about a 200 shot of Nitrous to it..
Nah, not really,but who would I be to argue with the guy ( or gal) that wants to made a Pro=Mod hHbmuller, or Radical Custom Dannhauer-Stauss? I would advise them not to do it, of course, mainly because they would get shot the first time they drove it or showed it, and the loss of money in resale would be horrendous. BUT, if it's HIS car, then damn the toprpedoes, and full speed ahead. Heck, my first Split, I personally changed the old pan for a 1967 pan, and stuck and 1835 with a Zenith 32NDIX in it. I didn't cut the body, and I saved the pan, but I had lotsa fun with that car, people trying to get around me because "Its a Volkswagen, therefore it's slower than a seven year itch" and I'd just hammer that thing, give them a semaphore flip-off when I drove away from them, and look in the mirror for the looks of disbelief. Thats the car I almost got shot by a cop with, for hitting him in the nose with a 6 volt NOS semaphore on a 12 volt system. But I digress- While I may not agree with jacob kaminski, or h8germanfolks, I will allow them their place in the hobby. Perhaps they will mature, and become icons in the industry, who knows? Gene and Dean and Joe weren't all that popular with the V-8 guys, until they tore them a new one at the races, then they got respect. Am I condoning all the name calling and profiling that goes on here? NO. But I accept that, like it or not, people are going to have different views and opinions about our little corner of the automotive hobby. Hey, it's hard to believe, but I was a low-class punk-ass kid, too, once upon a time.. Now I'm a grown-up punk-ass "old dude" LOL

Dave
JOHN C. GFK!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 4:53 pm    Post subject: The Honorable Kafer Dave Reply with quote

HEY DAVE NICE TO SEE YOU BACK. HOPE TO SEE YOU AT THE SHOW ON THE 17TH.

JOHN CANALES
THE GERMAN FOLKS
EST. 1982
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: The Honorable Kafer Dave Reply with quote

Howdy, John !!

Afraid I won't be around for that one, need to build a carport for some more VWs that seem to have, um, "followed me home" (will it ever stop? I hope not !)
I will, however, be at the Drag Day in Irwindale covering the show, the Familienfest in my neck of the woods will have to do without me this year, as I am going to Arkansas to cover an event there, and I think I'll be doing the Vegas show again this year.. I still refuse to go to the Jamboree, after I got thrown off the stage by a security gorilla, in front of 1,000 people, just doing my job, and it cost me $200.00 to get my camera fixed. I told Al about it, even gave him a photograph of the security gorilla that did it, and me flying through the air in front of the stage, and he refused to apologize, have the security goon apologize, or even partially pay for the damage to my camera that happened. I had the same clearance as the rest of the photo magazine guys there, I was even eating a sandwich back in the VIP area 15 minutes before, where all the bikini girls were lounging, putting on their war paint, plucking hair from their bikini line, etc etc, so he KNEW I had the proper credentials. No apology? No payment for the camera? No coverage from me, ever again. I even told my boss that if he ever tried to make me cover another Jamboree, thats what they made sick leave for. And this happened over 4 years ago, so it's kinda late for an apology or a camera fixin' check now....I heard the Jamboree was pretty weak last weekend, and nothing could make me happier. Once again, the opinions expressed herein are solely mine, and have nothing to do with my place of employment. Any resemblance to anyone, either living or dead....
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 7:48 pm    Post subject: The Honorable Kafer Dave Reply with quote

Dave,

The "Old Dudes" are my favorite people to talk to, that is when you can find ones that will give us "Young Punk Ass Kids" the time of day.

I met a guy the other day that has owned his split window since 1978' and the stories that he told were great, where he found the car how he found it, how much he paid, other split stories, some of the other guys he's known since 78' he's kinda out of the hobby, doesn't go to shows, and his split hasn't seen day light in many many years..but he is filled with knowledge..and if he wouldn't have been nice enought to come over and hang out and let me pick his brain those stories would be lost.

Most of you have seen pics of my car when I got it, and know what the plans are for it..I do get shit from some people about not making the car original again..but when I ask them "When was the last time you saw a split driving down the freeway" Most of the time they say NEVER..well the folks around my house will have a real treat in the next few months. The that has owne his car since 78'is all original numbers matching car. He didn't care that it was on the wrong pan, he didn't care that I was going to put a bigger motor in it, he didn't care that I put in a sunroof...When I showed him pics of my car the day we brought it home the only thing he could say was, "Oh man, there is NO way we would have built that car back in my day" and " I got a lot of respect for you going through all this work to get that car driving again"

He like most are just happy to see that I'm doing something with the car and not just letting it go to hell in my backyard, like so many other people they know.

Carlos who has one of the nicest most original splits also doesn't care, infact he is one of the most helpful people when it comes to my split questions, infact just two nights ago he helped me fiqure out a HUGE problem with my clutch that had me stumped. When I met Carlos and asked him why he built his car he said it was to "educate people on how these car originally came" I've seen pics of his car and he had to do a lot of work to get that thing the way it is..and that was before the internet and all the parts that we can simply go on ebay and find. The first time I actually met him in person he even offered to let me drive his car "just to see how a split window feels" I told him HELL NO, cause I was afraid of something happening, but the next time he offered I said HELL YES..and it was SO much fun.

So there are a lot of nice guys, all with different opinions..even yourself Dave I know you have the SWEET hot rod Oval and if I remember right a all stock one too...So it goes to show everyone you don't have to be a Stock Guy or a Vintage Guy..you can be a little bit of both.

Hey Dave, I'll let you drive my split too...but Paul "Empi Guru" Kenny is first on my "Old Dudes to drive my car list" since he's nice enough to put me up at his house every Pomona weekend =) Just another example of a cool "Old Dude" willing to help us "Young Punk Ass Kids" with our cars....

And to some of the PUNK ASS OLD DUDES, that you ask a question of and they say "What does it matter, you couldn't afford it anyways" I probably make more money than you!!!! Welcome to 2002! The above is a true story from when I built my first car...the next year same show the old guy came and asked me about my interior...I gave it back to him, "Doesn't matter, you probably couldn't afford it" You know what he said" PUNK ASS KID" LOL
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
twinwindows
Samba Pimp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 10:46 pm    Post subject: The Honorable Kafer Dave Reply with quote

Hey Mr.Dave , You know I remember that story about when that police guy got close to your car and you put the semaphore up and hit him in the nose , See now those are things to rememeber and talk about , but NO some joker put on here oh hey carlos why don`t you go rip off a stereo for me since you have a police record , Yeah look and see if I do , nope never had one , I guess what we have here on these forums is BIG TALK and a whole lot of hot air , But then this is rants and raves so I guess you can talk BS, That kind of stuff dont get me mad its just talk , Now get that same guy in front of me and and I bet he would be a whole other person Just like when I cut up that 54 car some guy sends me a e-mail saying , " I hope we meet some day so I can tell you what i think you are " ... Yeah Rite . Well here comes kelley park and who do I see? The same guy who sent it to me , I walk rite up to him and say , So... what were you going to tell me ? He looked like what ? Yeah i said remember what you wrote me .
He then said OH hey HI carlos let me buy you a coke , Yeah a coke see what I meen when i said ALL TALK! I dont want to say who it was for his sake . I for one love all VW`s Type 1,2,3 It does not matter if you put a big motor in an early split or Go all out on a superbeetle to fix it up , What matters is that it`s a VW and thats what we all like , So you guys can say whatever about me or anyone else ,Dave you ready for another cruz in the 49 I`m really thinking of taking it on the wine tour for SOLVANG what do you think , Oh and one more thing , If you know Bob Sowersby well we are going to race at the next HOT VW drag day with his really bitchen 53 canadian oval and me with the old 49 should be fun to see that, Well thats all for now
CRG
L.A.Cali
1949 TYPE1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JOHN C. GFK!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 8:04 am    Post subject: The Honorable Kafer Dave Reply with quote

JAMBOREE?? THATS A JOKE! I THINK THERE WAS MORE CARS AT THE DKP CRUISE ON SUNDAY THAN AT THE JAMBOREE. I HAVEN'T GONE TO ONE IN 2 YEARS AND I WON'T BE GOING BACK TO ONE EVER.
SEE YOU AT DRAG DAY DAVE..

JOHN CANALES
THE GERMAN FOLKS
twinwindows
Samba Pimp

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 12:43 pm    Post subject: The Honorable Kafer Dave Reply with quote

Hey John , Your rite you didn`t miss a thing .That has to be one of the worst shows EVER by noon time people were going home.There was no line to get in and nothing i meeen nothing for you to do while you hung out , Thats the last time I ever go to that show , If there is a next show .I told the promotor to maybe next time take his staff fishing That should be way more exciting then that sorry @ss show !
CRG
L.A.Cali
1949 TYPE1
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: