Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Driver side door leak
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Driver side door leak Reply with quote

So, in the past few days I've noticed a little puddle of water dripping down under the drivers side footwell. It's not actually leaking inside the van(to my knowledge, anyway), but I've noticed that the seal on the bottom of the door is wet. It hasn't rained for few days, and I don't know where the water is coming from.
Thoughts?
rockfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The water may be pooling and then leaking from inside the door. If your felt channel or scrapper seals are old/cracked/etc. it's likely that water is making its way inside the door and pooling at the bottom of the door.

I had a similar problem where water was leaking into the foot well. I changed out the front felt channel strip (the vertical channel that goes against the divider between the driver's window and the stem where the wing window closes ... http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=2348). No more water in the foot well.

You may want to remove the door panel and check inside the door for dampness, rust or perhaps a puddle inside the door.

The other thing you should check is the seal that runs around the door opening - between the door and the body. Make sure it is still soft and pliable. Lastly, there is a "front upper door" seal that runs between the upper door (near the wing) and the windshield (see this GoWesty page: http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=2350). GoWesty also sells the individual seals for the door windows or you can get a slight discount and buy an entire kit. I'm sure other Westy websites have the same package.

Hope this helps.
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help , I'll check this out in the morning.
DAVEURO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water will be able to get into door. Make sure the drains on the bottom are clear or it will fill up with water.
DAVEURO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, to prove my point along with a funny moment. Tonight I decided I would put some new door speakers in the van. While I was removing the old speakers I noticed a very slight drip from the bottom of the door and out from under door panel. I thought now would be a good time to practice what I was talking about. It rained this morning and the sun is out now. So I took my screwdriver and poked out the drain holes on the lower front and rear of door releasing about half gallon of water. I then went to the drivers side which is on the street. I poked out the holes releasing the water and went to work on the speaker. I am sitting on the step working with the speaker and only my feet can be seen by the cars coming towards me. The next thing I know people are yelling at me to stop peeing in the street and then they get by and see I am not. I quickly finished and had a good laugh. Yes the drains are there for more than just humor.
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah!
I wish I could have seen that. People passing by must have had a "wtf?" look on their faces.

I'm going to check on this tomorrow. I'm pretty sure there must be water in the door(where else could it be coming from?), so I'll get it out of there and decide where to go after that.
I may have to deal with it for a while if it means buying more parts, I quit my job, and don't plan on having another one until the fall...I have to spread my money thin!
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, well, I took off the panel and reached down, and - lo and behold - I touched water!

There was about 3 inches of it in the bottom. I couldn't find the drain holes for the life of me, for a while. I finally realized where it was(I only found one, not two...weird), and cleared some gunk out with a flathead. The water came pouring out and now it's fixed!

Thanks guys.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: