Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Betty's Baby is 65 today. Built at Osnabrück 3rd April 1958...
Took her for a drive around Winchester the old capital of England.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mooopers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

A belated happy birthday
1969 T2 Deluxe
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

mooopers wrote:
A belated happy birthday

Thanks...another picture from Monday...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

A few weeks of intermittent rain gave way to warm sunshine this afternoon so I gave the Ghia a blast through The New Forest National Park. Of course the "blast" came outside the National Park which has a speed limit of 40mph.

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Can't resist a black & white from last week.

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Can't resist a black & white from last week.

This picture really captures the unique flowing lines. I really like this angle of the nose. Maybe it's because I'm so used to seeing towel bars but as time goes on, I'm beginning to really like the simpler appearance of a Ghia without towel bars, especially on the front.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:

This picture really captures the unique flowing lines. I really like this angle of the nose. Maybe it's because I'm so used to seeing towel bars but as time goes on, I'm beginning to really like the simpler appearance of a Ghia without towel bars, especially on the front.

Yes it's the symmetry and the simplicity of the Lowlight wing and nose that I fell in love with when I saw a Lowlight for the first time.

If you go to the beginning of this topic you'll notice it had the towel rail bumpers but as they had collected quite a few dings, were badly pitted and my preference for the simple Euro style made Harrington's SS repros a ready made solution.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 5:11 am    Post subject: 58 Interior 3/4 panels Reply with quote

Cleaning around the interior yesterday I thought I have a go at cleaning up the rear 3/4 interior panels. Prising off the scissors clips I realised I will have a problem getting them back on. The backing card is crumbling.

After 65 years, (50 of them in the dry Californian climate) the card is unsurprisingly no longer flexible and the corner mounings are now on the garage floor.

Still look quite presentable from the front view...

The inside however shows the problem...

It's always been my intention to retain as much of the original interior as possible i.e. rear seat and rear panels so I've been searching for suitable card replacement.
I've found this: "Millboard For Trim Panels,kick panels,parcel shelves etc PVC Coated grained board,Black 61"x49"...£15.30"

Let's see how we go. Smile
Srecko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

The panel is glued in the corners only and wrap it around the board. I would buy a new maisonette board, use the old one as a template, cut it out and drill the holes for the clips. Glue and staple it on the new board and place back in the car. Easy fixed.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

Srecko wrote:
The panel is glued in the corners only and wrap it around the board. I would buy a new maisonette board, use the old one as a template, cut it out and drill the holes for the clips. Glue and staple it on the new board and place back in the car. Easy fixed.

Yep I think the board in the Vehicle Trimming supplies website I found is the material I'll use. Masonite isn't widely recognised in the UK and as a PVC Coated grained board the other board is likely to be more flexible.

Once we've found the correct board the rest would appear simple.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

I'm surprised Karmann stapled the material around the border.
The other VW panels I've worked on were simply glued.
Beadings were stapled.

The upholstery staples are shorter so don't try to use normal office staples. Smile

If the material is glued on the backside in the center of the board, it's best to try to remove any older glue from the material before attaching to new boards.
Otherwise you may not get a smooth front.
Goo Gone or some similar glue removal stuff and a plastic scraper, being careful not to rip the material.
I haven't done this much myself but that's a tip from someone who did the entire set of interior panels in their Bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Beadings were stapled.

The upholstery staples are shorter so don't try to use normal office staples. Smile

If the material is glued on the backside in the center of the board, it's best to try to remove any older glue from the material before attaching to new boards.
Goo Gone or some similar glue removal stuff and a plastic scraper, being careful not to rip the material.
I haven't done this much myself but that's a tip from someone who did the entire set of interior panels in their Bus.

Yes I've had a look at upholstery staple guns and they all use longer staples. The og card and the replacement card are both about 2.5mm thick so gluing is the way to go. I too was surprised at the shoddy way the vinyl cover was secured, very haphazard.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

I've had the same problem, John, with the same disintegration around the holes in the board. My panels are not the originals, which were rotten beyond salvage, but still.

What I did was to use a glue gun and glue the clips into the holes, measuring carefully so that the scissors would fit snug into the holes in the body.

If I had the original panels, as you appear to do, I would do the same, or mix a paste of cardboard/masonite and repair each hole carefully. Fiddly work, I concede, but if Nicholas and I were over there, we could easily do it for or with you.

Chris M
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:

If I had the original panels, as you appear to do, I would do the same, or mix a paste of cardboard/masonite and repair each hole carefully. Fiddly work, I concede, but if Nicholas and I were over there, we could easily do it for or with you.

Chris M

Yeah I did think about building up the corners but it's too far gone Chris. This afternoon I gave the board a little twist to see how much flex was left in it. None, it cracked diagonally from one side to the other.

If you look at the second picture you'll see it doesn't sit flat on the floor it's shaped where there are two screws that pull the board into a slight twist. The replacement PVC covered board will accommodate that twist.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:

Chris M

Yeah I did think about building up the corners but it's too far gone Chris. This afternoon I gave the board a little twist to see how much flex was left in it. None, it cracked diagonally from one side to the other.

If you look at the second picture you'll see it doesn't sit flat on the floor it's shaped where there are two screws that pull the board into a slight twist. The replacement PVC covered board will accommodate that twist.

I understand. I used Texon board to make a set of door cards for a friend and used it to make 'n front trunk liner for myself (and another one for The Fop). It is of the same thickness and general flexibility as the original board and it is IMPERVIOUS to water. Works easily. Just saying.
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

When I worked for an upholstery shop we would angle the staple gun when working on door panels so the staples wouldn’t come through the front. A few practice runs to adjust the air pressure on the staple gun and we were good to go
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Beadings were stapled.

Yes I've had a look at upholstery staple guns and they all use longer staples. The og card and the replacement card are both about 2.5mm thick so gluing is the way to go. I too was surprised at the shoddy way the vinyl cover was secured, very haphazard.

Oh, that's weird, I thought they were shorter.

The original VW panel staples I've pulled out were shorter than the staples I had for my home stapler.
I had to re-staple a few spots to re-secure some trim on a door panel so I cut the ends of the office staples with wire cutters and used them. Worked.

Probably not the best solution if you have to do a ton of stapling though but I'm throwing the tip out there for other readers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

A very significant chapter has closed in the story of "Betty's Baby".

Today I was informed by her nephew that Betty passed away a couple of months ago at the marvellous age of 98 and that today there is a Memorial Service for Betty Saarni in Berkeley.

I never met Betty but we talked over the phone many times in the 15 years since I bought her Ghia and exchanged Christmas Cards and printed newsletters as she didn't have The Internet.

Today I was at our annual Village Day with "Betty's Baby" and I was thinking of her and talking about her 49 years of ownership.

It's a sad day...R.I.P Betty.

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
A very significant chapter has closed in the story of "Betty's Baby".

Today I was informed by her nephew that Betty passed away a couple of months ago at the marvellous age of 98 and that today there is a Memorial Service for Betty Saarni in Berkeley.

I never met Betty but we talked over the phone many times in the 15 years since I bought her Ghia and exchanged Christmas Cards and printed newsletters as she didn't have The Internet.

Today I was at our annual Village Day with "Betty's Baby" and I was thinking of her and talking about her 49 years of ownership.

It's a sad day...R.I.P Betty.

The connection you had with the former owner was rare and wonderful.
I'd like to think she's always with you in the passenger seat Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: John Moxon's Lowlight from 1958 Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:

The connection you had with the former owner was rare and wonderful.
I'd like to think she's always with you in the passenger seat Cool

Thanks Mark, riding with me in the passenger seat is a great image. I didn't know until I got back from the Village Day this afternoon but her nephew's email was both choking and heart warming. He tells me at Betty's funeral her carer recounted to all present the joy she experienced in receiving my correspondence and photographs. Whoa that's perfect. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 44 of 46

Jump to: