Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel pump relay terminals...
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surfthrees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Fuel pump relay terminals... Reply with quote

Hi!, I've seen lots of info on fuel pump relays, but they all refer to the terminals 30, 51, 85, 86, 87... The relay I have is also 5 terminal but with the terminals 15, 30, 31, 31b, 87? I've read the terminal designation sheets but am still unsure about the hookup? Has anyone wired this relay before so I dont have to risk damaging the relay?
The part number is: 321 906 059 C I figure 87 goes to the pump, but am a little unsure of which ones get switched power and which need direct hookup to battery (if at all?)
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a relay that is activated by the #1 terminal from the ignition coil. Rather than label the relay "1" for this, they call it 31b for whatever reason. Here, since this a relay of type used in watercooled cars, I copied and re-did a diagram from a Bentley watercooled book:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Surfthrees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Thats exactly what I was looking for... Do I have to use the coil terminal or can I run that to another switched on source like the alternator or the oil pressure switch?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has to be from the #1 on the coil. The pulsating signal is what this relay senses to activate it. That's the point actually, because if anything happens to stop the coil from working, the engine will be not running, and if the engine is not running, you don't want the fuel pump to keep running. Since this is the same wire that you can use to run a tachometer, if you have a tach up front, it should be easy to tap into that connection and use it for a relay. And vice-versa, if you run a #1 wire up front for a relay, would make it that much easier if you wanted to add a tach.
-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Surfthrees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh... much thanks! Thats exactly what I was looking for. So when the ignition is simply switched on it wont activate my pump... but the ignition when it begins to "fire" or pulsate, will. Cool. I'll run it from my tach to CDI wiring... easier that way! Aloha... J
Very Happy
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
This is a relay that is activated by the #1 terminal from the ignition coil. Rather than label the relay "1" for this, they call it 31b for whatever reason. Here, since this a relay of type used in watercooled cars, I copied and re-did a diagram from a Bentley watercooled book:

Who makes it & where can I get this relay?
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW makes it! You can get it out of any old watercooled VW in a junkyard. If you get one from a 77-82 Rabbit/Jetta/Dasher etc, it will even have a fuse built into it. Here's some for sale new online:

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=321906059C

http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=16928&cat=&page=1
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndyM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got this 5-prong relay and understand the set-up. I think. My question is can I house the relay back in the engine compartment? And , if so, where does #15 get its power from the ignition switch? Is this the same as the POS (+) #15 on the coil?

Also, does #30 get its power directly from the battery or from a connector on the starter?

Thank to any who can answer these questions,
AndyM
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, terminal 15 is the same wherever you find it, it means a power source that comes on when you swith the ignition switch on. Terminal 30 is a power supply that is on all the time, regardless of the ignition switch.

It could be run in the engine compartment, if you secure it out of harms way.

-Andy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: