Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Riviera vs. Westy
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
howdyhoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Riviera vs. Westy Reply with quote

I have seen references to the Riviera pop top. How do these compare to original westy pop tops? I know the Riviera pop straight up vs. having a hinge at the back. Any other notable differences between the two?
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that is worth noting is that the Westy poptop was installed on a special version of the Vanagon roof that had a lot of extra reinforcing, while the ASI (Riviera) top was installed on standard Vanagon roofs with a hole cut in it.

That said, I've never heard anything particularly negative about the ASI top, and I kind of like it for its uniqueness.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new canvas tent is easy to get for a Westfalia pop-top, you can get them in a couple of styles made of a few differant materials.
Finding new canvas for an ASI is going to be an adventure in itself, you may have to pay someone to make you one, If you can find someone at all.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was hard (pardon the sarcasm).

http://www.countryhomescampers.com/poptopcanvas.htm

Andrew
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To respond to the initial poster, I happen to have one of each and really like both. I have done a side by side comparison and the westy wins IMO in every way that it is different. The one toss up is that the dometic in the ASI is larger which takes up more interior space, but is also more useful. The pop top on the ASI does not allow one to sit without their head hitting the roof. The front seats do not swivel (can be added). Overall both are great.

At some point I will be removing the ASI top to replace the gasket. When it is off I will take note of what reinforcing was done to the roof.

Andrew
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
That was hard (pardon the sarcasm).

http://www.countryhomescampers.com/poptopcanvas.htm

Andrew

Have you ordered anything from Country Homes Campers?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyArt,

Are you implying that CHC might be dicey/slow/dishonest? It'd be useful to know, so I can cross them off my list of vendors.

Thanks,

Lanval
prAna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love my Riviera! New canvas top from PLF...well that was a few years ago now I guess. Swivel front seats. Propane heater on a thermostat for those winter trips in the Colorado mountains. We generally sleep with about 340 pounds up top and haven't noticed anything different than the Westy in terms of support.

While on the subject of the ASI...from everything that I have found they quite doing that conversion in '83...but mine is an '84 watercooled. Can anyone point me to some more accurate information?

Current:
'84 Vanagon ASI Riviera camper
Gone but remembered:
'69 9 passenger bus
'71 bus
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They built the Riviera campers through 1985. I've seen plenty of 85s and the ones I've seen were all built off of base model vans.

You could order the top as a custom installation all the way through 1991, I think.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Country homes campers went out of bussiness several years ago.
Then they came back, and a year or so ago people posted that they weren't returning emails.
If they are back and ready to sell stuff I don't know, but I would give them a call and check on availability before I got my hopes up on what they have.
howdyhoss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

prAna wrote:
Love my Riviera! New canvas top from PLF...well that was a few years ago now I guess. Swivel front seats. Propane heater on a thermostat for those winter trips in the Colorado mountains. We generally sleep with about 340 pounds up top and haven't noticed anything different than the Westy in terms of support.

Were the swivel seats standard, or something that came aftermarket? Was this only on the GL or standard Vanagon as well?

Any other notable differences (other than the top) between the Vanagon Rivieras and Westys?

I've been trying to do some research on the riviera's (living in Oregon, I see my fair share). They seem to command a bit less on the market than Westys, but that's a good thing, eh?
camo westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A new canvas tent is easy to get for a Westfalia pop-top, you can get them in a couple of styles made of a few differant materials. "

The canvas available from suppliers that is not OEM Westfalia should only be ordered only if you know what the supplier is actually supplying, and I would reccommmend a written agreement for a full refund if the new canvas is not what is expected.

Previous thread here turned up a number of replacement tops laying about garages due to difficulities making the tops fit. The OEM Westfalia tops fit, the aftermarket tops fit sometimes. My canvas replacement was very difficult, and the supplier had no help, only excusess. I have fitted Westy OEM canvases with NO problems at all.

So far as canvases for Riverias go, no top is worth buying canvas twice due to suppliers who sell parts that dont fit. If you find a 'topless' Rivera, get a upholstery shop to fit a canvas, cant cost as much as two Westy Canvases.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
csclassics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: thinking about fitting a top. Reply with quote

I am thinking about fitting a top in the future to my 86 non camper. I was thinking of going with a riviera pop top, as I've never had one before.
AMERI-SWISS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What good is new canvas when that cheap abs plastic starts cracking?
Or does anybody know where to get a whole new top?
Me personly I love my riviera as the wood grain interior looks much nicer than the white plain westys, but that damm top cracking and no way to repair it, might consider putting on a fiberglass westy top which might involve alot of custom work which I dont want to do, OR the most expensive option would be to take the top off and send it to a fiberglass shop and have them make a new one.
All possibilites leads to headache and empty wallet Brick wall

Damm you ASI for using garbage plastic as the choice material for the tops :2gunfire:
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

camo westy wrote:
.......The OEM Westfalia tops fit, the aftermarket tops fit sometimes. My canvas replacement was very difficult, and the supplier had no help, only excusess. I have fitted Westy OEM canvases with NO problems at all.

Are true OEM Westfalia canvas tops even available anymore? Do you have a source for one (OEM)?

I have read about the GoWesty (and others) that don't quite fit because of extra material, or too short, etc. This is why I chose to patch a hole in my original. If there's a source for OEM tops, I'm willing to replace.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMERI-SWISS wrote:
Me personly I love my riviera as the wood grain interior looks much nicer than the white plain westys, but that damm top cracking and no way to repair it, might consider putting on a fiberglass westy top which might involve alot of custom work which I dont want to do, OR the most expensive option would be to take the top off and send it to a fiberglass shop and have them make a new one.
All possibilites leads to headache and empty wallet Brick wall

Damm you ASI for using garbage plastic as the choice material for the tops :2gunfire:

are you streetlegal yet?
kayakwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I don't know where you can get a new top but I do know it can be repair to like new

in my circle we paddle ABS whitewater canoes and we beat them up and repair them, and this is an excellent place to learn how to fix them.It's the Samba of canoes.

http://www.cboats.net/

there was a thread on there(forum) using ABS sheets and melting them with MEK and making a slurry,painting it on after prepping and sanding it down, and make it look pretty etc

and here is a webpage on how to weld ABS

http://www.mv.com/users/morris/paddling/boat-repair.html

this might help?

B.5.5 Passat Wagen with 30v V6-67000 Miles

DAS AUTO

CHANGE YOUR FUEL LINES!

A post without pictures is useless

http://www.kayakwesty.com

http://www.waldensridgewhitewater.com/
AMERI-SWISS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oorwullie wrote:

are you streetlegal yet?

NO. I just got back from two weeks in Croatia in which we were supposed to take my bus but instead had to take a tent. Croatia is perfect for a bus as they have more campgrounds than hotels. And every time I saw a westy (which I saw hundreds) just pissed me off even more, But still had a great vacation. The paper work that they want now is, how do I explain this?, the bus is 1982, I bought it 2 years ago. And they need the certified ownership records because as far as they are concerned I am the only person who has owned this bus so for over 20 years this bus just sat there with no owner, and the American bill of sale is not good enough because its not officaily certified. WTF
And as soon as I supply this form then they'll ask where are the official oil change records and then the "how many times did someone fart in this bus records" and then the this and then the that. Rolling Eyes
GOOD LUCK BUCKO, I hear Germany is just as hard. Take all of your paper work to your local notary and get them stamped and certified, and I mean ALL papers. Maitnence records (fake a maintence journal if you have to), ownership records, and reciets for random sh%t.
If I knew it was going to be this hard I would of sold it in the states and bought one here, but it was too late I already fell in love with my bus.
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck with all that then. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: