Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

tiico ticking
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: tiico ticking Reply with quote

Hey All,
My Tiico has developed what I thought was a collapsed or dirty lifter, on start up there is loud ticking, gets a little better when warm, but never goes away. I have changed the oil three times with mmo and castrol 20-50, and VW filters, even tried the get it hot and drop immediately, nothing has helped. Engine still runs great, no power loss or any signs of a worse internal problem, like a piston slap. But what if it is?Where do I go from here?
Thanks,
Brando
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kayakwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your oil level on the dipstick, has it been the same everytime?

I'm assuming by VW Filter are you using a spec. filter for a TIICO?

I have a 2.0 ABA, and I HAVE to use a MANN Diesel oil filter ...a MANN Jetta filter gives me the same problems you just listed..the diesel filter does not

B.5.5 Passat Wagen with 30v V6-67000 Miles

DAS AUTO

CHANGE YOUR FUEL LINES!

A post without pictures is useless

http://www.kayakwesty.com

http://www.waldensridgewhitewater.com/
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dipstick reading stays the same, midway between full and add.

I am using a VW filter 06A-115-561-B

This could be the problem? I think it is a Golf filter.

Thanks for any inline love out there, would love to figure this out since there is not any EXPERIENCED Tiico techs in the WNC area, that I am aware of.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kayakwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is a Golf filter

I get my filters from Germanfilters.com

order a filter for a 1981-1983 1.6 Diesel Vanagon, I've been told they are better for our engines being at 50 degrees,(also it is critical that you keep the oil at full on the dipstick)

my ticking went away after using it, I also a 1/2 quart of M.M.O. helps

DAS AUTO

CHANGE YOUR FUEL LINES!

brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, gonna locate one a.s.a.p.

Will let you know soon.

Thanks again!
Ryan Alfonso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when mine starts ticking like that it's almost always that I'm a tad low on oil. goes away after I add a quart. words cannot describe how distressed I was when I first identified that sound. that distress was equal to the relief at identifying the easy solution. "keep'r kinda full"

70+k on TiiCo instal 2001.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kayakwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
identifying the easy solution. "keep'r kinda full

forgot about that...I keep mine a 1/4-1/2 quart over also...it seems to help

the oil filter helps ALOT

DAS AUTO

CHANGE YOUR FUEL LINES!

brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So okay, makes since these motors could need a little more than the Vanagon dipstick says. Are the dipsticks the same? Will definately try more oil, but little worried about creating a leak.

Didn't go the 60 miles round trip to buy a filter, the VW filter(06A 115 561 B) I am running cross references to the Mann filter(W 719/30) Tiico has on their parts list. But the Tiico VW number is 1GS 115 561 ????
That number is not any good to VW parts in my area.

Does the diesel filter offer something these filters don't?
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So okay, makes since these motors could need a little more than the Vanagon dipstick says. Are the dipsticks the same? Will definately try more oil, but little worried about creating a leak.

Didn't go the 60 miles round trip to buy a filter, the VW filter(06A 115 561 B) I am running cross references to the Mann filter(W 719/30) Tiico has on their parts list. But the Tiico VW number is 1GS 115 561 ????
That number is not any good to VW parts in my area.

Does the diesel filter offer something these filters don't?
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just filled the oil level to 1/2 quart over, went on a ten mile ride, a peddle to the floor sprint really, and no change. Figured I'd either pump the lifter up, blow some garbage out, or spray oil everywhere, no change at all.

How do you know a lifter is shot, and does anyone know which ones go in the Tiico? Their parts list doesn't list them.

Also, anyone in the WNC area with inline experience?
I got plenty of beers!
Ryan Alfonso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a stash of Mahle, Mann and Bosch filters that are for the 93 up Golf/Jetta. They're theoretically the same, but you can see huge differences in their construction. Oddly, the first Bosch filter I got a few years ago looked to be of outstanding build quality. The recent batch I got looked less sturdy. No matter what though, they should all have the same check valve specs.

06A-115-561-B

http://worldimpex.com/search_by_model.html?mode=ke...oil+filter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my ABA I use the audible dipstick. Laughing

It's kind of funny though, because measuring O.P. at the head port it will still be reading 30+ psi and yet ticking away. Add a half a quart and the O.P. stays the same, but the ticking goes away...

Andrew
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, should I just fill'er on up until the noise goes away?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No,I wasn't recommending that. I was just adding my experience. It sounds like you possibly have a different issue. If I overfill mine it blasts oil put the crank vent and soaks the air cleaner. Not really a fun experience.

Andrew
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kayakwesty, put the diesel filter (mann w 940/25) in yesterday, can't believe that monster fit in there and actually sealed up! But unfortunately this didn't solve my loud ticking.

Is replacing the lifters a job for a shop, would a Golf Bently manual help at all on the Tiico, I have no info on the motor, just a parts list.

Thanks for any help,
Brando
kayakwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hey Kayakwesty, put the diesel filter (mann w 940/25) in yesterday, can't believe that monster fit in there and actually sealed up!

it's a big-ole honking filter...another reason I like it Very Happy

okay...don't try this at home...but next oil change, run a bottle of ATF in the crankcase, at IDLE only..it gives the engine a soft flush...you might have trash in a lifter...we use this trick on old diesels...but only do this if your are desperate

DAS AUTO

CHANGE YOUR FUEL LINES!

brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if I am that desperate, although I have already tried Rislone and M.M.O. IS there another method to cleaning these, is it a not a good idea in the driveway to remove the lifters kinda job?( without internal engine expertise)

Thanks for the help,
Brando
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone.....
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swapping lifters isn't all that big of a deal. You need to remove the cam which in turn requires removal of the timing belt. Resetting the timing belt can be a little tricky, but not hard if the directions are followed. In general I'd rate it a good job for getting your feet wet in the realm of mechanicking.

Do you have an oil pressure gauge on your engine?

Andrew
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have an oil pressure guage, is it possible this would be a low pressure issue? i guess anything is with the Tiico! This motor is an older one but only has 20k on it.

Where could I find directions for the procedure, and is there a oil pressure kit to install?

Thanks,
Brando
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: